• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not a big laser guy, and I haven't currently changed my stripes.

But my friend wants one , and I'm not up to speed enough to make any specific recomendations.

Criteria : Red. Suitably sized for S&W SD9 without extending beyond muzzle. Decent quality and durability. And under $ 300 .

Yup probably an arbitrary price point. If nessacery school us for both best options under 300 and if none , best options at lower price end of those that are acceptable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If I were to get (and keep) a laser, It would be a green one. I bought one and returned it. But when I had it, the green was bright enough to splash light off a wall and I really didn't need the flashlight.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have both red and green, and the green are a heck of a lot more visible. The difference between red and green is a little red dot you have to squint to see at 25 yards, and a light saber that's intimidating in as of itself.

Crimson trace has both red and green types for under $300 for handguns with a rail (both with and without a light). The red are as low as $170. You can also get types that attach to the trigger guard (those are a little more). My only complaint about the lasgerguard is that the side on/off button is tiny (there is a separate pressure switch but you do not always want the laser on with pressure).

Also, there are a number of places you can get holsters that will accommodate the Crimson Trace attachments.

The streamlight tlr-4 (laser+light) will fit on the S&W I think, but will extend beyond the muzzle. On the plus side though- it is less expensive, easier to take on/off, or switch to another weapon. It is a little bulkier than the CT, but I really like the versatility.

I think there are some cheaper knock offs of the CT but I'm not sure about the quality.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , eqipped with a Rail. It might also go onto 5.25 XDm, but he's thinking in terms of being sized for the smaller.

From al the popular depictions "Laser = Red Dot". I pointed out about Green, I'll make strong recomendation for green.

So Crimson Trace and SureFire are the Ford and Chevy of lasers, and the initial places to look ?

( My one laser are Crimson Trace Lazer Grips that came with a pistol, and I keep meaning to play with some day.)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Skip the CMR-201 if in the running. Far from CT's best offering. I say that as somebody with several CT grips and front lasers.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Red and green lasers operate on different wavelengths and different parts of the eye.
    Red is better for preserving night vision, outdoors usage.
    Green is better at destroying both parties night vision as it is the wavelength we see the best (are able to differentiate the most colors and details) but easiest to pick up and use.

Make sure your friend isnt colorblind also had a friend that spent $4k on a PVS-14 and IR laser and couldn't see sh1t. He described it as a "bright and brighter gray".

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Make sure your friend isnt colorblind also had a friend that spent $4k on a PVS-14 and IR laser and couldn't see sh1t. He described it as a "bright and brighter gray".

ugh. thats terrible.

has he tried white phosphorus or an amber filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom