• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    My wife wants to buy a pistol so I was going to sign her up for the required safety class but she wouldn't be able complete the live fire portion of the class because she's pregnant. She still wants to get her HQL, is there another safety class that doesn't require live fire so she can get her HQL?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Why can't a pregnant woman fire one shot from a handgun? This is outrageous.

The entire live fire requirement was specifically and deliberately removed from SB281 by the legislature, then put back in extra-legally by the MSP.

We need to get that changed. It's not only NOT in the law, it was SPECIFICALLY removed from the law.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Why can't a pregnant woman fire one shot from a handgun? This is outrageous.

The entire live fire requirement was specifically and deliberately removed from SB281 by the legislature, then put back in extra-legally by the MSP.

We need to get that changed. It's not only NOT in the law, it was SPECIFICALLY removed from the law.

Kinda the way the current denizen of 1600 Penn Ave makes new laws, too. Direct the departments under him to act in a specific way whether it is passed as legislation, or not. So the MDSP now does that? Wonderful.:mad54:

Viper-Snipe

May 13, 2012
    I took the Tx online class and have the card to prove it. Not that need it, as I have a prior 10/2013 pistol purchase. Just that it was easy to do if it can be used for the HQL.

V-S

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If all else fails and she really wants a gun perhaps a curiosity and relic (C&R) handgun can be found that will satisfy the desire/need? I don't think the HQL is needed for C&R guns.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Why can't she fire a pistol? Because of the particles released in the air, if so use one of these.

Attachments

• th-11.jpeg
      th-11.jpeg
      6.3 KB · Views: 697

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    I told her I didn't want her to go to the range due to possible lead exposure. She still wanted it get her HQL so she asked her doctor about it during a routine checkup. Her doctor advised her not to go to the range during pregnant due to possible exposure to lead and other things. So it's not the ranges saying she can't go although they also advised to wait to get the HQL. Just trying to find a way to let her get the HQL without going against the doctor's orders, besides I don't want to chance it even if the risk of exposure is low.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    I think I'm just gonna tell her I couldn't find a way for her to get her HQL until after she gives birth. I'll just blame it on O'Malley and let her be pissed at him lol.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    [How about this: tomorrow go find a LGS who has a C&R pistol for her to buy, no HQL required. Then use that pistol to exempt her from the training so she can get the HQL, plus she gets another pistol as a bonus!]

Edited again: confusion abounds between the law and MSP (so what else is new?) see my post #53.

Last edited:
    Yeah you don't have to go to a range. Tyler Firearms uses a little catcher device and low powder ammo. It is just one shot. You put your hand all the way inside the device so it suppresses much of the sound plus I used a Ruger SR-22 so it was really quiet. She'll probably face more toxins walking around on a hot and humid day (smog).

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    Ok. Thanks a lot guys. I'm still gonna try to talk her into waiting until after she delivers but she's pretty persistent. If she doesn't let it go I'll tell her about some of your suggestions. Thanks for the info!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If she is pregnant, she shouldn't take a job cleaning an indoor range with a broom, but there is no measurable lead exposure to someone during a single range session. All the cases of lead exposure relating to ranges have been in staff that routinely works in a range (e.g. coaches) and people making a living 'de-leading' ranges.

The more valid concern is noise. Again, for a single shot or even a couple during a HQL class, the sound exposure to the fetus is no different from noise exposures related to traffic, e.g. a unsupressed motorcycle starting up next to you. If the instructor has legal access to a suppressed handgun, even that concern can be completely eliminated.

Pregnant women are not made from glass.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm not sure what the answer is but I think you may have just discovered a new avenue of constitutional challenge for this ridiculous law.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    it's not just about lead toxicity, but there's a theory that the recoil force waves can travel back to the fetus, possibly harming it or the placenta. Just a theory, but do you want to be the test case?

I wouldn't risk it...but if y'all were dead set on it, I'd suggest using a semi-auto .22, light punching FMJ ammo, and as few shots as possible for her live fire. That should minimize lead exposure and recoil.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    it's not just about lead toxicity, but there's a theory that the recoil force waves can travel back to the fetus, possibly harming it or the placenta. Just a theory, but do you want to be the test case?

That's why we dont allow pregnant women to ride mountain bikes, motorcycles or drive commercial trucks.

I doubt there is a HQL class that uses a .500 S&W for the live-fire portion, the recoil from a Buckmark is not going to cause immediate delivery.

That should minimize lead exposure and recoil.

Dont lick the bullets. There is no measureable lead exposure from a couple of rounds fired at a range or into a bullet trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom