17HmR vs 22LR (by default Savage MKii or 93 FVSR)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did not even think of the FN 5.7, so the Hornet lost that title. The Hornet is an old round (been around since 1930), and seems to be going out (mainly due to ammo cost). But I like the round, for it does what I need it do at the ranges I need. I keep my fired brass, since I plan to get into reloading in the future.

Not many places sell .22 Hornet rifles, but the one I got (over 5 years ago) was extremely cheap (under $350 with scope). The dealer wanted to get rid of it since no one (other than me) had shown any interest. They were trying sell me either a .223 or .22-250 which was over kill for the ranges I was going for (50-150 yards).

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Did not even think of the FN 5.7, so the Hornet lost that title. The Hornet is an old round (been around since 1930), and seems to be going out (mainly due to ammo cost). But I like the round, for it does what I need it do at the ranges I need. I keep my fired brass, since I plan to get into reloading in the future.

Not many places sell .22 Hornet rifles, but the one I got (over 5 years ago) was extremely cheap (under $350 with scope). The dealer wanted to get rid of it since no one (other than me) had shown any interest. They were trying sell me either a .223 or .22-250 which was over kill for the ranges I was going for (50-150 yards).

It will take me a couple of days to find it but I have a good .22 Hornet reloading recipe from a guy on rimfirecentral. His user name is Vincent if you want to look it up. I know he uses Lil Gun. I really like my .22 Hornets for when .223 is too much. And then there are my 5MMs but that's another subject. All I need now are some places to shoot. Stopped for several years and all my old places are developed or have changed hands.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    My mark 2 will comforabley shoot a ground hog at 100 yards, you just have to find an ammo it likes and practice and know what kind of drop your looking at.

I gave my 17 HMR to my father in law because I reload 223. I can do everything and more with 223 compared to 17 but since he doesnt reload he benifited from using that 17 around his farm for ground hogs compared to paying money for 243 to plink with and practice.

If you load or will load a 17 is a waste of time in my opionion. If you dont have a 22 right now buy one thats a shooter and get good with it. that will cover you 0-100 ground hog MOA and then one day if you get into reloading your 223 will take you out farther and not be that expensive if you start saving brass now.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I say Savage Mk II. Here is mine. It has proven that it can get the job done at 100yds.

IMG_1195_zps7d8dcebb.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    17 hmr vs 22lr

Personally I would choose either the 22 mag or 17 HMR ( I own both as well as a 17 WSM)plenty of ammo available for both the 22mag and 17HMR. 22lr is just a pain to get ammo for and 100yrds is a little bit of a reach for one in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done with a lot of practice but where do you find enough ammo for a lot of practice ?

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Personally I would choose either the 22 mag or 17 HMR ( I own both as well as a 17 WSM)plenty of ammo available for both the 22mag and 17HMR. 22lr is just a pain to get ammo for and 100yrds is a little bit of a reach for one in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done with a lot of practice but where do you find enough ammo for a lot of practice ?

22 mag is a mythical creature right now (in stores).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom