• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Anyone purchase a handgun from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore with a magazine capacity of greater than 10 rounds? Are they open to shipping the magazines to an alternate state?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Anyone purchase a handgun from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore with a magazine capacity of greater than 10 rounds? Are they open to shipping to an alternate state?
    A dealer can't sell you a gun with mags larger than 10 if that is your state limit.In general most dealers will not separate the gun and the mags to ship them to different locations. An individual might and also ship the mags to an alternate location, but dealers can get in trouble for that I think. So what you have to do in MD is get the gun with the 10 round mags and buy larger ones in person out of state (or have an out of state address to ship to although some dealers won't do that either like CDNN or CTD).

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Can you buy a handgun that only takes mags that only hold over ten rounds?

Yes, but without the magazines. You'll still have to go out of state to buy the mags or have someone buy them for you online and shipped to that person's address out of state. Some online retailers will still let you buy online but ship to an address out of state. That is a gray area, and there are a number of retailers who won't ship to an out of state address if your credit card is tied to an in state address.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    They've replaced the high capacity mags with 10 rounders on a few of my orders. Picking up in a neighboring state isn't really an option for me so I never asked.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You could also have the firearm shipped to an out of state FFL, who could give you the magazines at their shop, then ship the handgun to an MD FFL.

A bit more time and trouble, and some bucks to the out of state FFL.

Or maybe an MD FFL will take the mags out and ship them out of state for you.

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County
    Although not a handgun, I did purchased a Ruger 10/22 last year from them and they shipped the rifle, minus the 25 round magazine but left the 10 round one.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I have a question then, why are there Pistols on the MD handgun Roster with only Hi Cap mags, does that mean I can purchase the pistol and recieve those mag with it???? or I do I just get the pistol less the Mags...?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a question then, why are there Pistols on the MD handgun Roster with only Hi Cap mags, does that mean I can purchase the pistol and recieve those mag with it???? or I do I just get the pistol less the Mags...?

1) Why shouldn't there be? Would you prefer the pistol not be approved, just because the standard mag capacity is higher than some arbitrary standard? The mag is not the gun.

2) No. You may not receive (take ownership of) a mag holding more than 10 rounds within the borders of Maryland.

3) You either get the pistol without the mags, or get it with 10 rounders. There are ten round magazines available for most pistols.

You then take a short drive to a neighboring state and buy standard magazines, 32-round high capacity mags, 100 round drums, or belt-feed conversions, as many as you want. You bring the standard mags home for your personal use. This is perfectly legal. The law does not ban possession or use, only transfer-of-ownership.

Remember also, the cut-off was twenty rounds until last October. The only change in the law was from 20 to 10. Very few handguns come with mags holding more than 20 rounds (I can only think of one), so previously the limit wasn't a big issue for handguns.

The change is a big pain in the arse, but is not a ban on standard mags, however much confusion remains. Bringing in personal magazines from other states is not illegal, not shady, not an evasion. It is not a "loophole". There is no gray area. It is entirely legal and above board.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also the MD Handgun Roster has been around for a lot years. And once approved, the handgun stays approved. SO most were approved when a magazine up to 20 rounds was legal. Except for the dark days of 1994 - 2004 when there was a Federal ban on magazines larger than 10 rounds.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just about every currently mfg/ imported handgun has 10rd mags available for sale to various states with 10rd limits. Even out of production guns that were around during '94-'04 have lots of 10rd mags available. Many FFL's will be able to pin the mags for you.

Alas many distributors don't care to make special arangements that require extra time/ effort . Worst case - you just bought a pistol w/o mag.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    1) Why shouldn't there be? Would you prefer the pistol not be approved, just because the standard mag capacity is higher than some arbitrary standard? The mag is not the gun.

2) No. You may not receive (take ownership of) a mag holding more than 10 rounds within the borders of Maryland.

3) You either get the pistol without the mags, or get it with 10 rounders. There are ten round magazines available for most pistols.

You then take a short drive to a neighboring state and buy standard magazines, 32-round high capacity mags, 100 round drums, or belt-feed conversions, as many as you want. You bring the standard mags home for your personal use. This is perfectly legal. The law does not ban possession or use, only transfer-of-ownership.

Remember also, the cut-off was twenty rounds until last October. The only change in the law was from 20 to 10. Very few handguns come with mags holding more than 20 rounds (I can only think of one), so previously the limit wasn't a big issue for handguns.

The change is a big pain in the arse, but is not a ban on standard mags, however much confusion remains. Bringing in personal magazines from other states is not illegal, not shady, not an evasion. It is not a "loophole". There is no gray area. It is entirely legal and above board.

Thanks for the info,

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Even out of production guns that were around during '94-'04 have lots of 10rd mags available.

I have a pistol that I wanted more mags for, and only could find 10 rounders (standard is 12).

But luckily there is another mag that will fit.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    off topic

Anyone purchase a handgun from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore with a magazine capacity of greater than 10 rounds? Are they open to shipping the magazines to an alternate state?

Off topic but, do you consider standard capacity mags to be Large Capacity?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, Daewoo DP-51.

There is a company that is making a pistol that is somewhat a copy of the DP-51. Supposedly their mags fit and are available in standard capacity.

I need to find someone out of state to order me one to try.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    They've replaced the high capacity mags with 10 rounders on a few of my orders. Picking up in a neighboring state isn't really an option for me so I never asked.

Same here. I called them and asked about alternate shipping and the woman I spoke with absolutely refused to do anything other than ship with 10-rounders, which I said I have no use for. The response was a polite version of "tough luck & pound sand".

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If a resident of WV, can I bring a very recently purchased 15 round mag handgun (purchased in WV) into the state of MD and keep it at my 2nd home in MD (not a resident), while I am residing there? This would be post SB281 as far as handgun purchase goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom