• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    OK guys, help me out here, first time looking into NFA stuff. I currently have an itch for a SBR AR, I'm looking at a 7.5 inch barrel length currently. Do I:

Build? I currently have a finished lower I purchased as registered pre-Oct 1, sitting on the shelf. Assuming this is even legal, this would appear to be the most cost effective route, but the paperwork sounds daunting and my mechanical ability is iffy to be honest.

Buy? This would probably be the most expensive option I'm assuming, but the LGS should help me through the paperwork I assume.

Have Built? Have my current lower built into what I want by a LGS, again that should give me the edge on paperwork I'm assuming.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome, just trying to decide the best course of action, I do realize from reading this sub that it will most likely be a 1+ year project.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    If I may ask, what county do you live in? The reason I ask that, is that if you live in a gun-owner unfriendly county, then you'll have to get your Form 1 or 4 signed off by MSP, which is taking around four months now.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Baltimore county. Not sure how they are for these things.

In a word... sh!ty! You'll either have to go through MSP or create an NFA trust, which would negate the CLEO (MSP) sign-off.

Also, even-though the receiver is a pre-Oct. 1st, according the latest MSP advisory, you're going to have to follow the copy-cat clause. Some on this forum might disagree, but for me, I'm following the MSP advisory... nothing more and nothing less. Some have gotten approved Form 1's for pre-Oct. 1st receivers, while not abiding by the copy-cat clauses, and others on this forum have breathed concerns about making an assault long-gun, post Oct. 1st. Personally, if you're willing to wait and go through MSP, and they approve it, then I'd say you're good-to-go. It would be almost funny to see how a state prosecutor would deem you broke the law, with a document from the MSP saying that it was okay to build. I use an NFA trust, so I have no paperwork from the MSP giving their blessings.

Anyway, if you follow the MSP advisory, you're going to have to keep that SBR at an overall length of 29 inches or more. Unfortunately, that means no 7.5 inch barrel. You're looking at something around a 10.5 inch barrel to meet the minimum 29 inch OAL.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    So basically, I can get a form 1, put on there I wanna build a 7.5 and turn it in to MSP and see what happens? Im willing to give it a try. I don't understand how they can say a Preban lower has to comply with postban regs, afaik since it's registered should already be considered a banned weapon. But logic and this state shall never be reconciled.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    So basically, I can get a form 1, put on there I wanna build a 7.5 and turn it in to MSP and see what happens? Im willing to give it a try. I don't understand how they can say a Preban lower has to comply with postban regs, afaik since it's registered should already be considered a banned weapon. But logic and this state shall never be reconciled.

You pretty much nailed it. Turn in your Form 1 to MSP with a 7.5 inch barrel (i.e. OAL less then 29 inches) and see what happens. Others were sometimes asked up front if the firearm they were modifying was a pre-Oct 1st firearm. So when you turn it in, try to relay to someone that it's being built on a pre-ban receiver. Although, I'm sure they're checking their registry on when you purchased it, as I know they wouldn't just take your word for it. Like you said, don't try to apply logic to any of this, you'll end up with a brain tumor. Good luck, and let us know how everything goes when you turn in the forms to MSP.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I had a form 1 approved with a pre Oct 1 lower and I plan on doing it again with my second stripped lower. Make the trust and submit the form 1.

VikingFan65

Apr 19, 2013
    Howard County
    OK guys, help me out here, first time looking into NFA stuff. I currently have an itch for a SBR AR, I'm looking at a 7.5 inch barrel length currently. Do I:

Build? I currently have a finished lower I purchased as registered pre-Oct 1, sitting on the shelf. Assuming this is even legal, this would appear to be the most cost effective route, but the paperwork sounds daunting and my mechanical ability is iffy to be honest.

Buy? This would probably be the most expensive option I'm assuming, but the LGS should help me through the paperwork I assume.

Have Built? Have my current lower built into what I want by a LGS, again that should give me the edge on paperwork I'm assuming.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome, just trying to decide the best course of action, I do realize from reading this sub that it will most likely be a 1+ year project.
    If you don't want to wait a year and pay the tax, you could purchase an AR pistol and install a SIGTAC brace on it. You can shoulder it as a SBR (might want extra padding on your shoulder) but that does not qualify it as a SBR. You can take it across state lines without paperwork because it is classifed as a pistol. Check out Engage's IP page, they have some photos.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone pointed out that just because MSP signs off on a Form 1 or 4 doesn't make it legal. It just attests that you aren't legally prohibited from doing it. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what conclusion can be drawn from that.

I just got a Form 4 back on a can. One week shy of 5 months.

Last edited:

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Did you get it approved by MSP, or was it done via an NFA trust?

I went the route of a trust. I would never have taken my form to the MSP and would have chosen the Frederick county sherif for LEO sign off. No where does it say you need the MSP to sign off. Also, MSP just came out with this so called decision a few weeks back. Their word now does not negate the previous months of sign off from their office. MSP does not make the laws, they enforce them. Don't even include them in the equation and carry on business as usual.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Only has to be signed off on by CLEO in your county. You are lucky you live in Frederick County so Sheriff can do it. Baltimore county CLEO will not sign so it has to go to MSP unless a trust.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I personally recommend the route of a trust. I wanted to have my wife take possession of the weapon/s in the event something happened to me and when my sons come of age to responsibly handle the weapon/s they could do so without needing to pay an additional $200 to the ATF. It offers flexibility which appealed to me outside of needed to get CLEO sign off as well as paying for fingerprints but that's going to change.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    The paperwork is the real issue. You can easily drop a complete 7.5" upper on a lower. Simple to do. Again the paperwork is the issue. You might consider going the AR Pistol route until your paperwork is back so all you have to do is change out the buffer tube and stock.

reechee

Tacticool
    Oct 4, 2010
    HarCo
    I say build it yourself...Or "assemble" rather, since it's an AR and you might have a harder time putting together a lincoln log cabin. You'd get better resale value maybe with buying, but it's NFA and you have to ask yourself if you're likely to sell it someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom