• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mocosucks

Rifles, Bourbon & Freedom
    Jan 9, 2014
    Laytonsville
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a range where I can go shoot my AR. I've tried searching for a range on google, but all of the ones I can find nearby seem to have incredibly lame setups. Most seem to not allow you to shoot from anything but a sitting position, other literally force you to have your rifle pretty much locked onto a table... that is neither fun nor sporting. I'm looking for a place where I can go with some friends and put some rounds down range while standing, preferably with targets that go out to at least 100 meters.

I'd be willing to drive anywhere within an hour or so from MoCo, and if the range is worth it I'd be up for joining a club/membership.

Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on where within MoCo , and flexability regarding "about" an hour.

For open to the public , Md Small Arms in Upr Marl , and NRA range in Fairfax.

Clubs can be fine things. Beyond just the range facilities the group of people , predominate intrests , and general vibes are factors. Again depending on your specific locations you might be within suitable distance of Berwyn Rod & Gun in Bowie , the two Clubs in Fredrick , and all the constituant clubs of AGC in Marriotsville.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Try Peacemaker NTC near Martinsburg WV. Some ranges have different rules for members than guests. AR in the wrong hands can be dangerous so most ranges limit how you can use it to control safety. Until they know what your level of expertise is they can't just let you do anything you want. All have their own particular range rules. And by expertise I don't mean how accurate you can shoot but how well you control the muzzle of the rifle. Me I belong to a couple of clubs for competition purposes but I also moved to a farm where I can both shoot and hunt and provide critter control.

mocosucks

Rifles, Bourbon & Freedom
    Jan 9, 2014
    Laytonsville
    Biggfoot44 - thanks for the tip, but I am probably looking for an outdoor range (I doubt indoor ranges have the distance I'd like)

photoracer - I'm not looking to do anything crazy, mainly I just want to be able to fire in a standing position, and fire at targets 100 or more meters away. As far as expertise, myself and all of my friends are Army veterans / active duty (and combat MoS).

I didn't really consider Virginia / West Virginia, I'll have to look into those! It would be nice if I could go somewhere in my own state to shoot a rifle though... I like the idea of joining a club too.

So really, my 2 ideal requirements would be: 100+ meter range and able to shoot standing

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can shoot your AR out to 200 yards at the AGC, from any safe position.

I hate shooting from a bench, mostly shoot prone and standing offhand, as well as sitting.

Join any of the member clubs for $10 - $45 or so, and you can get a range badge for $150. Unlimited use, 364 days a year, never a wait for a range position.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I second AGC. Plus AGC is fighting for your rights as a gun owner in this state. I am a member of Monumental Rifle and Pistol club and it's a great range. I live in Mount Airy and it's about 20 minutes from me. Don't know where in MoCo you are so it's kinda hard to tell how long it would take you. It's about 5 miles up Marriotsville Rd. from the light @ Rt. 40 off of Rt. 70

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    If I were to join and purchase a range badge, would that allow me to use any AGC range in the state?

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I have done a lot of research on this topic. The best indoor range is the Maryland Small Arms Range. The best outdoor range is Peacemaker National Training Center in WV. Of course, it's quite the drive. But for a city guy like me, the tactical range at PNTC is the like a fantasy land. The rifle range is decent too, but I wish they would put stands for paper at various distances and also add more steel. I go to both depending on how much time I have and what I want to do on a particular trip.

redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    maybe the bcc izaak Walton out river road ? the rifle range goes to 100 and it also has pistol and shotgun. you do have to be a member or go with a member.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    If you are interested in the AGC, we have a club meeting at 8pm for new members on Tuesday, January 21st. You will be able to purchase a range badge at that meeting. You can click the Garrison Rifle & Revolver club link below for more details, or feel free to PM me if you have a question. The AGC does allow guests, but only one person can shoot at a time and you get one lane.. This sounds like what you are looking for.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    I have done a lot of research on this topic. The best indoor range is the Maryland Small Arms Range. The best outdoor range is Peacemaker National Training Center in WV. Of course, it's quite the drive. But for a city guy like me, the tactical range at PNTC is the like a fantasy land. The rifle range is decent too, but I wish they would put stands for paper at various distances and also add more steel. I go to both depending on how much time I have and what I want to do on a particular trip.

I agree with you about the Md. Small Arms Range. You can rent a lane and bring your own ammo, etc, unlike some ranges that require you to buy their high-priced ammo if you want to use their range. If someone hasn't been there before, I suggest they give MSAR a try. Be aware that weekends are busy.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club

http://tcandsc.org/

Thurmont has a 300 yard range plus pits, I've never seen any rules at the range that require you to sit at a bench. I know I've shot prone on a number of occasions. The pits have several different targets, you can't shoot steel with your AR but the rest of the stands are good to go and can be moved around. They do just about everything there. I'm going to start IDPA this year.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If I were to join and purchase a range badge, would that allow me to use any AGC range in the state?

There's only one. There is a 200 yard range, a 100 yard range, a 50 yard pistol range, an archery range and 4 trap fields all on the same property.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    maybe the bcc izaak Walton out river road ? the rifle range goes to 100 and it also has pistol and shotgun. you do have to be a member or go with a member.

Also, if you're not an RO, you can only shoot when RO's have the range open. I believe RO's are only scheduled on Saturday and Sunday from April through December. From January through March, there are no RO's scheduled. The only way you can shoot during that time is an RO opens the range for you. Of the 1k+ members however, I think around 250 are RO's, so it's not hard.

kennyc01

Apr 30, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club

http://tcandsc.org/

Thurmont has a 300 yard range plus pits, I've never seen any rules at the range that require you to sit at a bench. I know I've shot prone on a number of occasions. The pits have several different targets, you can't shoot steel with your AR but the rest of the stands are good to go and can be moved around. They do just about everything there. I'm going to start IDPA this year.

I was invited there once and really liked it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom