• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Not in Md. The same applies to all. They can drive their ass out of state like everyone else, buy 10+ mags and drive back home. :)

Yes, with an official use letter form their agency specifying how many they are authorized to buy they can by any capacity of mag they want, including 10+, 20+, 30+ etc.

Sourkraut115

Jul 6, 2013
    the Westside
    I was never under the impression that police got a "free pass" with this law... I actually thought it was more restrictive (for police) than it turned out to be, in that we did get to avoid the HQL process. Yes, some agencies (although probably not many in MD) do require officers to purchase their duty weapons, thus certain exemptions that I doubt will be used often. This seems to be especially true for "supplemental" weapons like patrol rifles. The ability to purchase standard capacity magazines, for such things as off-duty weapons, is still there, but good luck finding them. I stocked up before the bill took effect, even though I plan on moving back to PA in the next few years. Also, some agencies transfer officers their duty weapons, with standard capacity magazines, at times (retirement, or transition to a new weapon), and some provisions were retained for that.

None of these things were intended to allow officers to simply make private purchases of whatever they wanted to own after the ban. Not happening. I went into a (let's not say frantic) pre-ban purchasing mode that definitely exceeded my planned purchasing cycle prior to Oct 1, just like everybody else. Not enough to cause me financial hardship, but I got a couple of things that I didn't think I would be able to get again soon, with everything else on my dream list tending toward non-regulated stuff and C&R. None of what I bought is for duty use (my agency issues my primary sidearm, and I bought my off-duty and my original sidearm long ago) although I would love to put one of them into service if we were allowed to do that.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just as an fyi. The mag section in SB281. Note this is just the section on mags, not 'assault weapons' or anything else:

4-305.
    (a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; OR
    (2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR A PERSON WHO RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY IN THE STATE.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Arel11

Aug 7, 2012
    That may be the way many want it it be, but it is NOT the law.

There are specific exemptions for law enforcement in the law.

Rank and file police officers didn't make the law and the VAST majority of them hate the law too.

As they are called upon every day to deal with other people's problems, and they are directed to potentially deadly situations every day, they deserve this consideration.

PS-I'm not supporting the law or the buffoons in our legislature; I'm just trying to deal with the reality of a law that endangers all of us.

Getting off my soapbox now.

Your soapbox makes sense. Thank you.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i ahve read the exemptions and i am not going to apoligize for being able to take advantage of them. i didnt write the law , and if i did there wouldnt be a stupid law.
    sjust like i got over of being ashamed that i fought in vietnam.
    i spent 40 years policing in this state and have th injuries and the pensions to show for it. like all of you i can drive to pa, va etc and buy what i wish as well as get them here, when i can. luckly for me i stocked up also

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    i ahve read the exemptions and i am not going to apoligize for being able to take advantage of them. i didnt write the law , and if i did there wouldnt be a stupid law.
    sjust like i got over of being ashamed that i fought in vietnam.
    i spent 40 years policing in this state and have th injuries and the pensions to show for it. like all of you i can drive to pa, va etc and buy what i wish as well as get them here, when i can. luckly for me i stocked up also

I don't begrudge anyone that falls under the exemptions, their opportunity to use them. But there are those in law enforcement (not all and not painting with a wide brush) that seem to think that the laws written for the common citizen should not apply to them, well, because......they are LEOs. Those few, are the ones that need to reminded that they are citizens just like the rest of us. Not those of you that understand that everyday you do your duty.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes, with an official use letter form their agency specifying how many they are authorized to buy they can by any capacity of mag they want, including 10+, 20+, 30+ etc.

Honestly, much easier for some to drive across state lines and buy them. I know my agency, getting a letter is like pulling teeth.
    They would also probably want to send them to our national armorer for safety and certification. :) I joke about that, but that isn't too far off.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    no he was trying to purchase the rifle for his personal collection. I will relay the information to him. all of the officers are under the assumption that leo's are exempt from the bill. I was unsure but glad everyone cleared that up. thanks everyone

This was absolutely the intent of the law's proponents - to fracture the gun owners' community by insinuating that perhaps LEO and military have blanket exception. I think there were even statements made in media as such, but the law doesn't contain such a provision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom