• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    As a newer user to the facility I'll make note of a couple things and why I find it difficult to consider returning after yesterday.

I got there around 12:30 and all but one lane was taken. The one lane left (directly infront of the shack, just to the right) had the target stand that was shot in half. Whether by intention or not who knows... As the hour progressed I noticed atleast two other individuals who tacked up cardboard across the entire top of the stand concealing the uprights... open violation of the rules. I patched the shot up stand back together with some plastic pallet wrap film to make it usable.

Secondly the 'cold range' rule. If the range does not go HOT until 1pm and people are downrange setting up their targets for commencement at 1pm than why are there ANY guns out of the case and being handled prior to the range being called HOT? Grey area of the rules ?

First time I went a couple weeks ago it was myself and a friend. We took turns shooting and while one was shooting the other was policing the casings being made. Did not see much of that occuring elsewhere. Individual next to use left early along with leaving a pile of 7.62 casings on the ground. Yesterday was much the same. The entire place is a garbage can to say the least. Not painting a broad brushstroke and saying nobody else was picking up their mess but it certainly lacks..

Covers over the bench would be nice but dividers between each bench to contain ejected casings would also be a nice addition. I shoot both pistols and rifles and it is painfully apparent MG is not a pistol range at all and really shouldnt be open to semi-auto anything. As my parting token I left an extra handful of clothes pins for the next person.

First off, welcome to MDS.

Secondly, it's long been known MG has some issues -

1, it was originally built and intended to be a Hunter RIFLE Sight-In range - nothing more, nothing less. The pistol BS and a$$holes shooting below the mesh (and at whatever else they choose) is what's chewing the place up.

2, a lot of the people that show up sporadically could care less for the rules or common decency to clean up after themselves - which is what this thread is about doing something about - getting together volunteer RSO's to reign in some of the uninitiated. Particularly the mishandling of firearms during 'Cold' breaks.

3, the regulars do police their brass somewhat - for reloading/scrapping purposes. We do actually leave the brass for Ronny and Dan (the 2 poor bastards that have to fix all the shot to hell stands, baffles, and columns - they are the only 2 DNR employees responsible for maintaining the range on a very limited budget BTW). We used to have brooms and rakes to keep the pad clean, but some jackasses decided to shoot them up. :mad54:

Now if you actually want to try and improve the situation there, I openly invite you to join us the Monday after Thanksgiving at MG. Dan, Ronny, and any other volunteers that show up will be prepping the site for (much needed) repairs that will occur during Deer Season (since the range will be closed for that time).

135sohc - Welcome to MD shooters. I agree with you that dividers and covers would be nice @MG. Maybe a possibility we can explore on the Monday after Thanksgiving cleanup / improvement day, I hope to see you there along with everyone else. You should also check the thread for volunteer RSO classes @MG and consider getting involved if you are interested and have the time.

BradMacc82 - Is there anything Dan and Ronny could do with the casings to recoup some of the costs for range maintenance? Might be an idea to explore down the road, once we can get everyone to clean up after themselves :D Sometimes it's like watching my kids the way people make a mess down there. See you on Monday

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Unless the sky falls, the world comes to an end or I dont get finished with the car I will be there monday.

are there dimensions handy for the target stands? I have a collection of leftover furring strips and 1x dimensional stuff that I can pre-cut and bring with me to tack together.

Citizen

Red Man in a Blue State
    Nov 9, 2012
    Calvert Collective, PRM
    Was there today from 9:20 to 11:20. Good crowd. Everyone observing the rules. No lines, open benches...surprise! No 'Cold-Hot' issues.

A couple of observations:

#1 - I think rules should be clearly posted at the 'Check-In' (or for a better lack of term - Permit Station) and one should have to sign the envelop noting that one has read, & understands the rules. Like a website 'I Agree' button.

#B - The benches are not aligned with the range. This is why there are so many ricochets into the baffles and shots into the posts. With 2 people shooting from one bench the angles are completely skewed.

#3 - The Shack needs to be rehabilitated. I've been in Port-A-Johns that were bigger.

#D - If there is a desire to have a time limit, i.e. 10 or 15 minute Hot, 5 minute Cold, (& I have no problem with this) there needs to be some sort of timekeeping mechanism that is clearly designated, and audibly and visually available to the shooters. Everyone of the same page makes us all more responsible & safer.

One more thing, if you need volunteers to help 'spruce up' the range, shoot me (no pun intended) a PM

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    Was there today from 9:20 to 11:20. Good crowd. Everyone observing the rules. No lines, open benches...surprise! No 'Cold-Hot' issues.

#1 - I think rules should be clearly posted at the 'Check-In' (or for a better lack of term - Permit Station) and one should have to sign the envelop noting that one has read, & understands the rules. Like a website 'I Agree' button.

#B - The benches are not aligned with the range. This is why there are so many ricochets into the baffles and shots into the posts. With 2 people shooting from one bench the angles are completely skewed.

#3 - The Shack needs to be rehabilitated. I've been in Port-A-Johns that were bigger.

#D - If there is a desire to have a time limit, i.e. 10 or 15 minute Hot, 5 minute Cold, (& I have no problem with this) there needs to be some sort of timekeeping mechanism that is clearly designated, and audibly and visually available to the shooters. Everyone of the same page makes us all more responsible & safer.

One more thing, if you need volunteers to help 'spruce up' the range, shoot me (no pun intended) a PM

My son and I were there Saturday morning too. No issues for me either other than times between cold calls. I agree with all of your points. But I think the only way to realign the benches would require removal of at least one if not two or more of the benches. Maybe they could be narrowed and adjusted to accommodate baffles between the benches at the same time. Guess we can discuss it the Monday after Thanksgiving during the rehab day.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    The last thing myrtle grove needs is less shooting stations/benches. There is no need to reinvent the wheel here guys. We don't need a million new rules we just need to do a better job to enfornce the rules that are already in place.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's

The rules were posted on the benches, but have been worn away or destroyed since the last renovation.

That's because there is only one shooter allowed to shoot from the bench at a time.

The shack only housed a rake and a coffee can, last I saw. I don't think people are supposed to be in it. Not sure.

I agree.

Very cool of you. :thumbsup:

I used to call MG home. I've met many good friends there and introduced many more to MDS. I've participated in range cleanups, general upkeep and donated materials to MG.

I hope you guys can get the range back in order. I'm not sure I'll ever return now that I'm a SLSC member, but never say never, right?

From my experience, most shooters were cool with someone pointing out an unsafe act or rule infringement. They wanted to do right, but maybe had a lapse in judgement or just plain didn't know the rule. The ones who were jerks and got bitter, well, too bad. They were in the wrong and if they don't come back, it's a safer place for it.

I understand your thread SCAR. A bit of fellowship and cooperation goes a long way to creating a safe, fun environment for everyone. If you all get together and do this with regularity, leading by example, eventually it will become the norm.

Good luck to you all. :thumbsup: I truly applaud your efforts and leadership in this endeavor.

If you need a place to shoot while Myrtle Grove is down for repairs, PM me or lx1x and we'd be happy to sponsor a responsible shooter such as yourself at SLSC.:)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    We just want to promote a culture of safety, no new rules, just to enforce the existing ones.

I am very happy about folks stepping up. there is hope.

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    I shoot both pistols and rifles and it is painfully apparent MG is not a pistol range at all and really shouldnt be open to semi-auto anything.

So you would restrict shooters to bolt-action, lever action, black powder and single shots because you have decided that is the best way to go? I don't own any of those. I have several weapons and everyone of them is semi-auto except my pump shotgun. I guess by your standard I am not allowed to shoot anymore on the only available range that doesn't have a year long waiting list to become a member within a reasonable distance from my home; even though I have literally taught thousands of Marines to handle weapons from semi-auto and full auto rifles and machine guns to rocket launchers and mortars, and just about every time I find myself at the range teach yet another tacticool wannabee how to safely handle their particular firearm because no one else will. Sounds just like all the folks in congress.

Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    So you would restrict shooters to bolt-action, lever action, black powder and single shots because you have decided that is the best way to go? I don't own any of those. I have several weapons and everyone of them is semi-auto except my pump shotgun. I guess by your standard I am not allowed to shoot anymore on the only available range that doesn't have a year long waiting list to become a member within a reasonable distance from my home; even though I have literally taught thousands of Marines to handle weapons from semi-auto and full auto rifles and machine guns to rocket launchers and mortars, and just about every time I find myself at the range teach yet another tacticool wannabee how to safely handle their particular firearm because no one else will. Sounds just like all the folks in congress.

In defense of 135sohc, what he is trying to state I think and as I would agree, MG shooting benches are only mere feet away from each other and the same thing has happened to me on several occasions is, when I am setting there at the bench shooting and someone with a semi-auto is to my left side, I have more than many times been hit in the head and face with their ejected brass. Sadly not a single one of the asses had the kindness to even notice what they were doing or trying to make other arrangements to prevent their brass from flying 2 tables down from them.

This is also another reason why dividers between the tables would be an excellent feature. However, it is a hole in the ground and nothing will change there. That's why I don't go back.

Last edited:

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    In defense of 135sohc, what he is trying to state I think and as I would agree, MG shooting benches are only mere feet away from each other and the same thing has happened to me on several occasions is, when I am setting there at the bench shooting and someone with a semi-auto is to my left side, I have more than many times been hit in the head and face with their ejected brass. Sadly not a single one of the asses had the kindness to even notice what they were doing or trying to make other arrangements to prevent their brass from flying 2 tables down from them.

This is also another reason why dividers between the tables would be an excellent feature. However, it is a hole in the ground and nothing will change there. That's why I don't go back.

SOMDSHOOT sorry you had a bad experience at MG. That's what a lot of us are trying to prevent in the future with the range cleanup/rehab and the volunteer RSO class that SCARCQB is organizing. Glad that you could move on to a better place. But some of us don't have the time to wait or money to spend to join a private range/club or live too far away from them. IMHO for anyone on this thread or at MG you are either part of the solution, or part of the problem. Which one are you?

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

Nah, I just have one of my kids stand to my right and catch my brass.

Helps their eye/hand coordination, reflexes, plus, I don't have to crawl around and look for it when I'm done.
    :)

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Anyone going to the range today? Heading out with the kids to get a little trigger time before the upcoming Youth Hunt day saturday. Should be good weather.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Range report. Like most Holidays it was very busy. We got there early, checked the kids shot guns to make sure they were still sighted in. We also put some rounds down range with there grand paps old .22. We we out of there before it got too crazy. A good time was had by all.

Bronx

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi Scar, please let me know when there is a class for range officer. I have some other people who would be interested

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you dont like brass flying, tough shit. Its a public range.

Typically I'd agree with the first statement, however, one of the range rules is that your responsible for your brass and where it's going.

A little consideration isn't a bad thing. A piece of cardboard can go a long way in keeping everything where it should be, and off of other shooters on the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom