• eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    kramer.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A non-religious person can still get behind this concept, because it essentially means "a right that exists by virtue of your existence." Meaning, something like the right to self defense can be rationally derived from the very nature of our existence - whether you attribute that existence to natural or supernatural circumstances.

Not to pick nits, but it's a right recognized as being universal and doggedly protected by our founders - not given. I know we're just talking among friends here, but it's a good habit to practice always referring to such rights as being universal, and not given by government. We don't want to use language that even flirts with that concept, because it lends power to those who consider a thing "given" by government to be thus at the whim of government. And it takes most of the states in the union to agree that such a change needs to happen. We're a LONG way from 37+ states thinking the protection of these rights needs to go away.

Yes, indeed. In Maryland, for example, I think there is more power in being realistic. Realistic about the demographics of the financial power and voting blocks in the state. Realistic about the left's inertia on so many fronts. Being realistic about those things means being able to have a sober, rational analysis of where our side's finite resources and energy are spent. For us, it's all about the courts. Which is NOT to diminish the philosophical importance of telling these people to their faces that they're wrong ... because if nothing else, that will make the "I told you so" moments that will come with court victories so much more gratifying.

My dollars are going to those who are fighting to win these issues for us both in the state and nationally. And I'll do everything I can to make sure that we get more friendly federal judges and justices by keeping the Dems from running the Senate or taking over the White House. That entire area of work will trickle down to individual statutes here in MD, eventually. It's a good thing I've learned more patience as I've become grumpier and grayer.

So, if they are God given or unalienable, then how is it that they have passed so much gun control? Being that all men are created equal, which I disagree with, but that is a debate to wax philosophical on another day, then how is it that some countries expressly forbid people from owning firearms? If the ability to own a firearm is God given, God being all powerful, or it is unalienable, then how can this travesty occur in other countries and to a much lesser degree here in America.

I agree that we have the natural right to defend ourselves. No doubt about that. The question ends up being what our society will allow us to defend ourselves with. Why can't I buy a fully functional tank and the rounds to fire it? Why can't I drive that tank on the road. More likely to die in an auto accident than by gun fire.

We can discuss this for hours on end. The phrase "God given, unalienable right" is about as brilliant as "common sense".

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    How will your liberty be doing if they pass these laws, you do not comply, and they toss you in prison? How will liberty be going then?

How will yours be? Your choice is to sit back and watch them take every last ounce of your freedom. I will be one of the students in the re-education camp. You will be one of the ones running the camp.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If they really did not care whatsoever, they would have passed everything the way it was written initially. Those abortions of bills would have been passed. They would not have listened to Hough, Pennak, Doherty, and others that testified competently and civilly and changed what has been changed to something way more reasonable and dare I say, common sense. The entire "transfer" bill is spot on with regard to the issue that Chow presented. It was scaled back to address the issue with criminals and how criminal defense attorneys had been getting their clients off from "loaning" firearms to other criminals.

I think the people in Annapolis are willing to listen IF we can present good reasons why certain laws suck. The shell casing law went away a couple years ago. The HQL law could also go away at some point since it does not appear to be making any difference as far as crimes are concerned. At some point, Maryland will have to do a 180 and try something a lot different than the gun control it has been attempting for 40+ years. Kind of like how illicit drug control has not been working, kind of like how prohibition did not work.

It just takes time for reasonable people to see and admit that their long term plan is NOT working out in the long term.
    The HQL will never go away, it was never designed to curb crime. It was designed to control people and to hinder firearm ownership.
    They have been told and shown factual evidence that CCW holders are not a danger to the public, yet they refuse to pass shall issue. Gun control is NOT crime control.
    They aren't interested in lowering crime rates, if they were they would put criminals behind bars and not cut a deal every two seconds.
    I think very few of the people in Annapolis are reasonable. (There are a few exceptions)
    They have been on a gun control tirade for decades. They aren't being reasonable when they propose amendments to lessen the severity of a gun control bill, they just know it's not palatable all at once. Death by 1000 cuts.
    Don't know why people are OK with UBC's.

I might consider UBC's if we get the following:
    Repeal GCA of 1934, 1968, & 1986.
    ANY type of registration would be illegal both State and Federal.
    No local firearm laws more restrictive than the state.
    No firearm or ammunition taxes allowed over 5% (other than sales tax)
    Red Flag laws are illegal.

Now of course I realize NONE of the above would ever happen, but the reality is that they won't pass ONE pro-gun bill.
    They still get additional control and we get NOTHING.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We all stand in reality, whether we like to admit it or not. At the end of the day the constitution is a very old piece of paper, given meaningful weight only so long as actual, living human beings care to abide by it. There should be no illusion about this.

Exactly. Once a majority, or a super majority, decides the Constitution is a rag, then it is over. Once China invades, then it is over.

God given, unalienable what? Right to own a gun? Right to self defense, with hands and fists?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Exactly. Once a majority, or a super majority, decides the Constitution is a rag, then it is over. Once China invades, then it is over.

God given, unalienable what? Right to own a gun? Right to self defense, with hands and fists?

And you will be there to watch it all happen and write long posts about it until this forum is no more.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    So, if they are God given or unalienable, then how is it that they have passed so much gun control? Being that all men are created equal, which I disagree with, but that is a debate to wax philosophical on another day, then how is it that some countries expressly forbid people from owning firearms? If the ability to own a firearm is God given, God being all powerful, or it is unalienable, then how can this travesty occur in other countries and to a much lesser degree here in America.

I agree that we have the natural right to defend ourselves. No doubt about that. The question ends up being what our society will allow us to defend ourselves with. Why can't I buy a fully functional tank and the rounds to fire it? Why can't I drive that tank on the road. More likely to die in an auto accident than by gun fire.

We can discuss this for hours on end. The phrase "God given, unalienable right" is about as brilliant as "common sense".

I pulled a post from another thread that I think fits here:

That phrase appears in the Declaration, touching upon unalienable rights. Unalienable rights! Rights that cannot be separated from the individual. Pieces of paper with text on them mean absolutely nothing when compared to unalienable rights. The phrase "pursuit of happiness" doesn't appear in the Constitution, only in the Declaration, but your point is nevertheless germane.

As far as Constitutional protection goes, the Constitution is a negative document. It spells out that which government may permissibly do, the rest defaults to the state/individual. This much is actually spelled out in the 10A. Our right to keep and bear arms isn't granted to us by the Constitution; the Constitution merely acknowledges the preexisting, unalienable right. Congress and the 50 states can unanimously pass laws and constitutional amendments that ban private firearm ownership, but that would do nothing to separate the unalienable right from us.

This is actually a great example that demonstrates that which is criminal isn't necessarily immoral, and vice versa. In the above world where every politician has, in simultaneous strokes of pens declared us all criminals, we are now breaking the law. We are criminals by definition. Are we now somehow immoral for owning firearms? Do we deserve to go to jail because a relatively small number of individuals say we're criminals? Hardly. This is why we are a republic and not a democracy.

A number of the Founders expressed concern that a Bill of Rights would lead to certain people thinking that only the rights mentioned therein were important, the others less so, or even nonexistent. Somehow, we live in a world where certain people think it's perfectly fine for someone to be jailed for putting something in their own body. Utter nonsense. Individual freedom requires responsibility. Restricting someone's personal freedom based on someone else's feelings/morals or lackthereof is ********.

I've occasionally linked to this thread in the past, and it's generally good when the subject of personal drug use comes up: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=174901

Long story short: what I put into my body is my own business. What you put into your body is your business. It's really that simple.

Otherwise good and law abiding men continue to abide by gun control laws because they estimate that such a situation is more tolerable than the alternative. Once the opposite is true, I expect the situation will change, violently.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    These's a reason Boondock is one of the most well respected and well liked Members here.

The above is a good example as to why.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I pulled a post from another thread that I think fits here:

Otherwise good and law abiding men continue to abide by gun control laws because they estimate that such a situation is more tolerable than the alternative. Once the opposite is true, I expect the situation will change, violently.

And that post from that other thread is very much on point, as is what you wrote in addition in this point. I agree completely.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Yeah, we broke the board and/or admin decided that stuff was garbage. So be it. I saw what others wrote, and that is good enough for me.

Hopefully, others saw what I wrote.

Yup, you’re in luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom