22 shorts - can I shoot them out of a Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We shot 22 shorts for years because they were cheaper and never had a problem. The possibilty exists for a corroded chamber but thats more from sweaty fingers than corrosion. We cleaned our rifles all the time as well or it was trouble. Dry firing does more damage to 22's than anything. I still shoot cb caps when I come across them but Im low now. Early ammo was BP if I remember correctly and may have been a contributing factor early on but modern powders quickly became available. Shorts just lost popularity when better cases and rim priming allowed a little more power and reliabilty. Hell, 22 ammo is still evolving in the 21's century

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Alan,
    for 1) case length differences between 22short and 22lr are extreme,Semi auto 22s generally won't cycle under 22 shorts. that's why the marlin 60 says not to

I'm not sure a Marlin 60 will pass shorts thru the lifter block without jamming. The action thru the block is pretty picky.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    i can easily shoot enough 22 shorts in one sitting to foul up a 22LR to the point where you would have to pound out a 22LR casing if you shot one afterwards.. damaging the chamber, and requiring chamber polishing before it feeds smoothly once again. match chambers like a smith and wesson 617 revolver are especially prone to this issue. definately don't forget to clean your gun that day, until the chamber is shiny, if you shoot 22 shorts out of a LR chamber

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes they will work. I even shoot shorts out of a semi auto by manually feeding them one at a time typically as a coup de grâce. If you only have a box or two you might want to save them for special occasions when you need to shoot something without making a lot of noise that might disturb the neighbors.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes you can.

At .22 short pressures, you're not going to errode, just a question of fouling. Just clean the chambers after each session, instead of waiting 5,000 rounds.

Most .22 rimfire auto loaders are calibrated for the power and oal of the .22lr. The Rem 552 is a noteable exception , expressly designed for shorts, longs, and long rifles.

Most bolt, pump and lever rifles with tubular mags will cycle with shorts.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If a few shorts will erode a ring enough to hamper extraction of a LR case, a few thousand LR rounds will etch deep enough for the barrel to become two piece. :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    the 22 Long and 22LR case are the same length. The 22 L and LR chamber differ in the cut for the LR's longer bullet. I bought some 22 Long ammo in the first part of the panic, Rem Sub Sonic.
    To clean lube, lead and powder fouling after firing 22 Short in L or LR chambers take a flred 22LR case and flare it slightly. Then insert and remove it a few times, bore snake it and shoot away with 22 LR. aclean normally once you get home

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Fire away OP. They've been shooting 22 shorts in revolvers for 160 years.

I was thinking that old H&R probably saw plenty of shorts in its day. We had a Rem 121 pump that we took to my grandfathers farm. Sometimes it was boxes of shorts or longs or long rifles, all marked with price tags less than $1.

Don't know why my father choose shorts vs longs vs long rifle. Maybe it what was in stock at the hardware store. Back then we cleaned with Hoppes and probably not very thoroughly. I still have that rifle and it has none of the problems that are warned about in this thread.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    meanwhile, i have a smith and wesson 617 that needed the ejector rod whacked with a rubber mallet to eject 22LR rounds after a few boxes of 22 shorts. it scored the chambers, and required polishing to make it feed and eject smoothly again. and that's stainless steel.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I've fired thousands of .22 shorts through various revolvers and rifles without any function, cleaning or other issues.

Enjoy.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I used to own a semi-auto magazine fed 22 that had an adjustable magazine with a setting for shorts, longs and long rifles. worked reliably and was accurate. I foolishly let my brother borrow it, never to be seen again:mad54:

I wish I could remember who made it. I've never seen another like it!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not saying chipd didn't experience what he experienced, but that is substantially outside the norm. It does occasionally happen for S&W's to escape the factory with rough or improperly sized chambers

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    this is on my Henry lever action. it fires everything I feed it, no issues at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20170521_214137~2.jpg
      IMG_20170521_214137~2.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 98

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads