• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I REALLY want to hunt hogs, but I really don't want to feed into the preserves. They're contributing to the feral hog problem so I'd rather shoot the ferals. Just can't figure out where to do it within a short drive.

The problem is that hunting true wild pigs is not easy. They're smart, skittish, and have a great sense of smell. I've been set up in an "infested" area (east Texas) in a blind on a few occasions, and have been skunked every time.

Tractorguy1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 27, 2011
    Cool, looks like fun, but also looks like in the pic it is doing something lewd to the rock

Last edited:

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    How many days does this cover? If I wanted to wait for something big, with tusks, could I take a few days?

I got there Thursday night and expected to stay until Sunday you stay until you get something or you just dont pay the $750. One thing its hard to see if they have a good set of tusks only way to know is the curl in their lip but taking a shot at 100+ yards its sorta hard to see.

The problem is that hunting true wild pigs is not easy. They're smart, skittish, and have a great sense of smell. I've been set up in an "infested" area (east Texas) in a blind on a few occasions, and have been skunked every time.

dont get me wrong past sitting in a deer stand there was no way I could get close to these things, they hear you before you see them and are running full blast. But I agree wild ones are even more skittish

From their site:
    Also talk to Dan at Gun Connection. he took his boys there earlier this year.

They have picture books at the lodge and I happen to see his pic there.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    How do you figure they contribute to the problem ? Are you saying they get out of the preserve and spread ? I think if anything this place gives people insight and some awareness of the destructive nature of these animals and can spread awareness of the necessity to deal with them. There is nothing within a short drive to hunt hogs from Maryland. You would have to go south and realistically from what I see you would have to find a farmer willing to let you on his property to kill them because they are screwing with his land.

It wasn't a shot at you, but yes I'm saying they get out and cause havoc as an invasive species. That's what my internet searching is turning up, there are a few counties in PA with hog issues but mostly I'm looking at southern VA and farther to get some feral hog action. Then again, maybe those guys in Texas will let me ride along in the chopper while they shoot them from the air?

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    It wasn't a shot at you, but yes I'm saying they get out and cause havoc as an invasive species. That's what my internet searching is turning up, there are a few counties in PA with hog issues but mostly I'm looking at southern VA and farther to get some feral hog action. Then again, maybe those guys in Texas will let me ride along in the chopper while they shoot them from the air?

No I understand what you are saying. In the case of where I was they do have true wild boar roaming around, the owner has said they have attempted many times to come onto the preserve ..... There is some outfit down in Texas where you pay a certain amount of money to take a safety course in flying and shooting out of a helicopter then pay by the hour to shoot. I cant remember the price past it being expensive.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

cherry koolaid and corn for bait:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom