Does a suppressor need to be broken in ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Finally had a chance to take out my first suppressor a M4-2000 for my AR . Took a few shots with it out of the box and it was shooting a little low at 100 yards ( adjusted it and I was dead center). After a few hundred rounds of shooting it at various items I took it back out to 100 yards, didn't adjust my scope and was hitting the bottom center of the paper. So does a suppressor need to be broken in ?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    No... you just need to check the quick mount and make sure it does not come loose. POI change is often noticed on any suppressed firearm. The M42K has mimimal effect and tends to shoot low vs unsuppressed due to the added weight at the muzzle.

Try to zero at 50 yards ( most ideal for the M4), unsuppressed, it will shoot a bit high at 100 yards and on suppressed mode, will shoot a bit lower but gets you closer to the bullseye.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yes, you want to thread it on loose and shoot unstable rounds through it.

Filling it up with mashed potatoes makes it super quiet too. Idaho are best.

When it looks like this its broken in:

Cycle2boom.jpg

Cycle2boom3.jpg

1IMG_2708.jpg

;)

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    No... you just need to check the quick mount and make sure it does not come loose. POI change is often noticed on any suppressed firearm. The M42K has mimimal effect and tends to shoot low vs unsuppressed due to the added weight at the muzzle.

Try to zero at 50 yards ( most ideal for the M4), unsuppressed, it will shoot a bit high at 100 yards and on suppressed mode, will shoot a bit lower but gets you closer to the bullseye.

Thanks for the info. I have a Trijicon TA31F that's zero is 100 yards that's why I wanted to keep all things the same. I went back and when I got home and made sure everything was as tight as it can be so ill go back out and see whats going on. I will say that I didn't know how dirty one can get with shooting suppressed

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    hehe, like SCAR says, this is part and parcel of the suppressed weapon game. They DO alter POI. I leave my suppressed stuff zeroed for the cans. and yes, they get FILTY fast. One time look at an MP5SD after about five hundred rounds........

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I have a Trijicon TA31F that's zero is 100 yards that's why I wanted to keep all things the same. I went back and when I got home and made sure everything was as tight as it can be so ill go back out and see whats going on. I will say that I didn't know how dirty one can get with shooting suppressed

In shooting both an AR and SCAR with an ACOG (100 yd zero unsuppressed), I usually print 2" low suppressed. Although many suppressor manufacturers claim no change to POA/POI, but most have some change to POI going from unsuppressed to suppressed.
    You definitely have an issue if you have a drastic POI change. Did you follow the manufacturer's instructions when installed the mount? Keys to installing: ensure you thoroughly clean and degrease the muzzle threads; use Rocksett high temperature ceramic epoxy (Surefire provides this epoxy with their suppressor mounts) or something similar; ensure the mount is timed properly if required.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Took it back out again and used a Caldwell bench rest to make sure its not me. Yesterday had little to no wind, and no rain where I was.

First few groups of three @100 yards were high right, after a little adjustment to my acog they were for the most part close to bulls-eye after few more groups of three later. Still using the sled I put down 20-30 or so rounds at another target and noticed POI was spread and below the bulls-eye. Made sure everything was tight from the suppressor itself to the flash hider itself(nothing shifted). Took the suppressor off as a test took three shots and they ended up being tight and a little high.

So since this my first suppressor I cant compare this to others but from what im seeing by the time the suppressor gets too hot to ouch POI moves. The BCM upper im using is capable of groups under 1 inch which I have done a few times in the past , put the suppressor on and that's not the case.

SCARCQB you said to zero it for 50 yards but I guess I don't understand why there is any shift at all. But I know at 50 yards it would be less noticeable

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Anytime the barrel or the can gets hot. You will tend to see some " stringing" of shots. This will happen with most rifles. This is why you see accuracy fanatics shoot one round, wait for the barrel to cool down before firing another shot.

Since the suppressor heats up and retains heats. Your barrel will do the same.It will heat up faster with a suppressor mounted.

POI shift due to a suppressor is a different issue from stringing shots due to barrel heat.

Just let the can cool down a bit for accuracy shooting and memorize your DOPE for suppressed and non- suppressed shooting. Heavy barrels ( Most suppressed ARs that I shoot suppressed have heavy barrels under the handguard)

As for a 50 yard Zero. That is what most use. It is better suited for distances up to 250 yards. It is a battle sight zero, not target shooting zero. ( applies to irons, RDO, low mag optics)Most targets are shot COM ( center of mass)> It is for quick and dirty work.

If you shoot for groups, you can keep the 100 yard zero and use your acogs BDC reticle for holdover.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    You guys mentioned that shooting with a suppressor gets the action dirty quickly. Does this affect reliability (maybe after a certain amount of shots)? How much of an issue is it with a piston AR that has a suppressed gas setting? I'm curious because I have a M4-2000 coming my way soon and I'm on the lookout for a second AR. I already have a POF and I'm debating whether to get a Daniel Defense M4 (which I would fire suppressed).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You guys mentioned that shooting with a suppressor gets the action dirty quickly. Does this affect reliability (maybe after a certain amount of shots)? How much of an issue is it with a piston AR that has a suppressed gas setting? I'm curious because I have a M4-2000 coming my way soon and I'm on the lookout for a second AR. I already have a POF and I'm debating whether to get a Daniel Defense M4 (which I would fire suppressed).

Both DI and Piston guns get really dirty when suppressed. I have not had any incident of any failure resulting from this. ( Within 150-400 rounds per session). Keep the bolt wet. I tend to oil the Bolt/ carrier every 150 rounds of suppressed shots.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Piston AR w/ a Suppressor... DI guns get a whole lot dirtier, both function well as long as you keep the bolt / carrier lubricated.

Attachments

• 3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b-tm.jpg
      13.6 KB · Views: 187
    • 3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      3548689487-8449978d0e-b-tm.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 192
    • 3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b-tm1.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 188

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Holy Shit! That puppy dog needs a bath. How many rounds did it take to get that filthy? I don't mind cleaning dirty guns, but if the trigger group always got that dirty then it would be a pain to clean up (completely).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Holy Shit! That puppy dog needs a bath. How many rounds did it take to get that filthy? I don't mind cleaning dirty guns, but if the trigger group always got that dirty then it would be a pain to clean up (completely).

About 450 rounds.

You should see my other AR . It likes corrosive ammo and a suppressor. See pics below. Don't mind the finish.. It will buff out:innocent0

( Just messing with you man.... that is my first M16-an overseas owned gun, stored between the walls and unkept for over 27 years)

Attachments

• elisco2.jpg
      elisco2.jpg
      20.8 KB · Views: 166
    • elisco3.jpg
      elisco3.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 162

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Keep the bolt wet. I tend to oil the Bolt/ carrier every 150 rounds of suppressed shots.

After a few rounds that was the only issue I needed to make sure was corrected. Also the other thing I noticed that worked for me was a gas buster charging handle , I was shooting at the bench less so less in face gas blow back. But it is my understanding there is a cheaper solution in just putting on a certain compound on the charging handle

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    mayor_quimby - YES there is a break-in period dont let them fool you and I would be MORE than happy to take care of that break in period for you. Just send that can on over and I will get back to you as soon as it is broken in...I promise :D

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom