• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just wondering who else is a member, I run into people when I shoot and bring this website up but never know if they have joined or not.

Modrak

Jun 1, 2010
    Walkersville
    I'm not a member... yet. I live in Walkersville and have been contemplating joining. Unfortunately, the website is a bit unclear on some things. It says you need to be sponsored by a member to apply, but there aren't any public shooting days or range times from what I can tell. If you don't know any members and you don't have the opportunity to meet, talk with and hang out with them on public days it can be overwelmingly difficult to find a sponsor. I'm not going to put an ad out in the Frederick News Post or walk up and down the line at Cresap asking "Are you a member of TCSC?". It just seems rude. :)

I noticed the Mosin Nagant shooting day coming up next month, but again, it APPEARS to be for members only. While I can certainly appreciate that (why be a member if everything is public?) getting in the door can be difficult.

jplum

Feb 3, 2008
    TCSC member.

Modrak, Every Tuesday evening the TCSC is open to the public for trap. If you want to check out the club, send me a PM. I'll be there this weekend and also live in Walkersville.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I can tell you from the last meeting the member limit will be reached and I don't think they will be opening up new membership until March of 2011. I thought most of their shoots are open to the public.

Modrak

Jun 1, 2010
    Walkersville
    Ah, very good information. Unfortunately I don't shoot trap (yet), only handgun currently and I'm about to get myself a bolt action rifle in the very near future (still weighing my options and also why the interest in the Mosin Nagant day). Part of the reason I wanted to join TCSC was for the chance to meet people up here with similar interests and to possibly learn some archery and shotgun skills. I work in Chantilly and a lot of my friends down there share my interests, but driving 1.5 hours away on the weekend for an hour or two of shooting isn't ideal.

I'd be very interested in heading out there with you some time jplum. I'll be out of town this weekend so I can't make it this time but I'd love to go another time.

Modrak

Jun 1, 2010
    Walkersville
    jplum and pauln, thank you very much! I might head out there this weekend. I'm sure my wife would like to check it out too (kids are with my parents for the next 2 weeks, gotta love grandma and grandpa).

Hopefully I'll be able to site-in and zero my new Savage 10 there some day soon. :party29:

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Also a club member. This club hosts both USPSA and IDPA shoots. During the week, the bays are usually available & allow all Range Officers to safely practice the following skills:

-use of a safe, strong-side holster. You can even draw & shoot. Required skill for CCW holders, USPSA & IDPA competitors.

-more than 1 shot per second allowed (most ranges prohibit this).

-more than 5 rounds loaded in the magazine (most ranges prohibit this)

-300 yard bench rest range

-lead-bullet pistol calibers & .22 cal steel targets available (no jacketed bullets allowed for this steel though).

-You can also bring your own steel targets & can even shoot at them (few ranges allow steel targets).

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    just an fyi... personal steel targets need to be pre-approved before use

I understand what you mean: I have always carefully followed the range rules. You are apparently speaking about the rule applicable to the 300 yard range where steel is actually prohibited except w/ prior BOD approval.

I bring my own steel to the bays - where that rule does not apply. My target happens to match Henry's 2 USPSA steel targets - which have been left in the bays for years & whcih can take jacketed ammo. Regards,

D.

DocEd

Eddie Harren
    Feb 17, 2009
    Ijamsville
    TCSC

I'm the Rifle Range chairman and last weekend, April 16-17, we had some fairly serious flood damage at the rifle range. Any of you able bodied members, who are looking for a chance to get some "work hours" please give me a shout. Eharren@comcast.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom