• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, so in the process of figuring out what I want on/in my AR-15 I've been coming to the realization I may need to build it from scratch to get just what I want on it. How hard is this to do? Any special tools? I have a pretty comprehensive set of construction and automotive tools (the miscellaneous 786 piece set :lol2:)

What parts would I need? Here is what I think is needed, let me know if I am missing parts. This is going with the assumption that I get something like a complete LPK including buffer tube assembly and stock.

Upper receiver
    Bolt carrier group
    Barrel
    Gas tube
    Gas block
    Charging handle
    Hand guard
    PSA upper build kit

Anything I am missing from the list? Any little pieces (or big)?

Having done some basic gun smithing and a shite load of automotive repair and construction work, am I cool considering this? I do have a neighbor who has built a number of ARs who has offered to help, but I don't know if that is assemble an LPK and put the pieces together, or if that extends to building an upper too.

Thanks!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I'm no expert, but built both of my uppers. It was fun and I got exactly what I wanted. I got the vice blocks and the barrel nut wrench and borrowed a buddies torque wrench.

Do it, you won't regret it.:thumbsup:

Edit: I did have a pro pin and weld the battle comp on my 14.5" build.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think the barrel nut and forward assist are part of the PSA upper assembly kit.

Okay, so I'd need to add the wrench and vise block. I do have a torque wrench, though I haven't used it in a couple of years. Most stuff I have a highly calibrated arm (plus minus 25% torque, tested over a lot of years of repairs and building things, good enough 98% of the time)...but I would use it on something like this. The wrench and vise block are two things my neighbor may have.

Yeah, that is my worry is how expensive or rare things are going to get. I have most stuff, except a barrel, picked out. I really want to wait till next year for monetary reasons to build it, but I am a little worried about a ban. I have a lower now, but I am waiting for more shenanigans like "unless possessed or manufactured before X date, all AR-15s of any configuration are banned". I don't see HRC being able to get a ban through, or not anytime soon and it gets me in to January anyway. I am hoping Hogan stands up against the legislature also, but that also gets me in to January even if he doesn't. I am just hoping that there isn't a huge panic buy in November that lasts 2+ months. Though, I'd hope even with that I'd be able to piece it together.

Do BCGs normally include all the pieces that go inside it (retaining pin, firing pin, etc.)?

I am planning to start looking at PSA LPKs to at least get one of them in the next month or two and if I decide on doing the upper piece by piece I'll probably also start getting some pieces around the same time. Spread it out over a few CC bills/pay checks.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Do BCGs normally include all the pieces that go inside it (retaining pin, firing pin, etc.)?

Usually, yes. Be aware that if it says stripped it's just the bolt carrier itself.

Also throwing in roll pin punches, C-clamp, or channel locks to put in those damned roll pins.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    It's a pretty easy build. You'll have no issues, just take it slow and do some research before doing it. FWIW, here's my $.02:

Get a good barrel. Of all the things that will make your AR accurate, the barrel is the most important piece of the equation. White Oak Armament are really good and are reasonably priced. Also, look into getting a lapping tool (makes the surface of the receiver that the barrel mates to completely square to the axis of the barrel). DaemonAssasin hooked me and a buddy up with this step, and it makes a difference. The tool isn't too expensive though, available at Brownell's. Fancy BCG's like Nickel Boron don't really impact accuracy in my opinion...just get a quality one that has the gas key properly staked. BCM, Spikes, or PSA will all work.

Don't forget to budget for the sights / scope. That's a whole other discussion.

The barrel nut is probably not in the PSA build kit, but should be included with an aftermarket handguard. Verify that though when you buy it. Also, verify what size crow's foot wrench you'll need. Not all aftermarket barrel nuts will work with a standard armorer's wrench. Speaking from personal experience here, it's frustrating to have your rifle ready to assemble only to find out that the barrel nut needs a wrench size that isn't a common one and then have to wait to special order one.

You can spend a lot on a hand guard. There are a lot of choices, but generally speaking if you're going for the most accurate rifle you can build, look at getting a free floated hand guard. Those generally cost more.

Your choice in hand guard will impact what kind of gas block you'll need, and also what kind of front sight if you're looking at putting irons on it. Do you want a standard fixed front sight post, or do you like the look of the longer hand guards that extend down the barrel and want flip up sights? Are you looking to build a flat top upper and put a scope on it, or do you like the traditional look of a carrying handle and just want to use irons?

So many choices, you can almost drive yourself nuts!! But that's part of the fun of building an AR...ultimate customization.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Usually, yes. Be aware that if it says stripped it's just the bolt carrier itself.

Also throwing in roll pin punches, C-clamp, or channel locks to put in those damned roll pins.

I have c-clamps galore, pin punches and channel locks currently. Thanks!

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Don't install the delta ring backwards! It makes installing the handguards incredibly difficult. Ask me how I know...

I highly recommend the Magpul BEV block for working on your upper. I learned the hard way about buying once and crying once.

If you're patient Primary Arms runs sales on the Magpul armorers wrench and BEV block. Got my block for $35. I should have landed the armorers wrench for $45 but my budget was stretched.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys! I'll try to talk to my neighbor soon and see what tools he has. I still haven't mentioned it is an AR I am building or that I bought a lower to my wife. But she knows our neighbor is helping me build a rifle and that she played me starting to buy parts this fall so long as it doesn't get in the way of our bathroom remodel.

As of yesterday and our friendly PA neighbor's I now also have a magpul G3 20rnd mag. I mean, I need to be able to be sure once I get an LPK that the release works properly, right?

Still need to head up to PA or DE and get a couple of 30 and 20 rnders. Probably a couple of 10rnd mags for hunting. I figure a 20 is going to get in the way less for bench shooting.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks guys! I'll try to talk to my neighbor soon and see what tools he has. I still haven't mentioned it is an AR I am building or that I bought a lower to my wife. But she knows our neighbor is helping me build a rifle and that she played me starting to buy parts this fall so long as it doesn't get in the way of our bathroom remodel.

As of yesterday and our friendly PA neighbor's I now also have a magpul G3 20rnd mag. I mean, I need to be able to be sure once I get an LPK that the release works properly, right?

Still need to head up to PA or DE and get a couple of 30 and 20 rnders. Probably a couple of 10rnd mags for hunting. I figure a 20 is going to get in the way less for bench shooting.
    I just picked up a 20 rounder for bench shooting. 30 round mags get in the way. 20 should be GTG for hunting. You're hunting in Maryland?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Buy as many 30's as you can. Every time I go OOS and see a store with 30's, I buy at least 4. They never go bad and one day, you'll be happy you have a bunch on the shelf.

Depending on what you are hunting a 30 can work too. But that depends on what caliber you are using, as to if you want that weight increase. I am running a Lancer 20 for deer hunting on the 300BLK. For my precision varmint 223 Wylde, I am running a Magpul 20.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well I figure if i get my 20" barrel, I will try it on deer occasionally and Md limits you to 8rnds in the mag for deer and beer. I see no reason to carry larger magazines than I need to hunting, so I figure a pair of 10s with 8rnds in each. One in the gun, one in my pocket. Not that I imaging ever using more than 8rnds.

If I do varmit hunting I'll probably use fully loaded 20rnd mags. Some day 2-4 30s with a number of 20s should cover SHTF, or more like HD situation. I am not too paranoid about end of the world, foreign invader kind of stuff. 8-10 mags seems like it should cover me with a mix of different capacities.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    If 20 round mags were cheaper then that's what I would own. I like the size of 20's as they don't snag clothing or sling as easily. That said I own about 50 thirty rounders at the moment. Capacity doesn't matter much when you can only load 8 rounds in Maryland and 0 rounds in PA.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If 20 round mags were cheaper then that's what I would own. I like the size of 20's as they don't snag clothing or sling as easily. That said I own about 50 thirty rounders at the moment. Capacity doesn't matter much when you can only load 8 rounds in Maryland and 0 rounds in PA.

That is the very reason why I will not run an AR in MD, and will never hunt in PA.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well I figure if i get my 20" barrel, I will try it on deer occasionally and Md limits you to 8rnds in the mag for deer and beer. I see no reason to carry larger magazines than I need to hunting, so I figure a pair of 10s with 8rnds in each. One in the gun, one in my pocket. Not that I imaging ever using more than 8rnds.

If I do varmit hunting I'll probably use fully loaded 20rnd mags. Some day 2-4 30s with a number of 20s should cover SHTF, or more like HD situation. I am not too paranoid about end of the world, foreign invader kind of stuff. 8-10 mags seems like it should cover me with a mix of different capacities.
    You are planning on using a 223 for deer and bear?

Yea, forget everything I gave you for advice. Ethically and morally I cannot condone the hunting of deer or bear with a caliber that is ill suited for that purpose. A 223 barely reaches the minimum threshold for energy to hunt deer, according to DNR. The odds of wounding the animal, so it runs off and dies a slow and painful death are highly likely, and that goes against everything I know and was taught at an early age. If the caliber barely meets the minimum energy at the muzzle, what makes you think it is going to retain enough energy to punch through the skin of a deer and the bones and still deliver a kill shot, without being deflected by a rib?

God help you with a bear. A 223 is a be adding to a bear, you're just going to piss Yogi off, instead of killing him.

If you are running a 762x39, 6.8 SPC, or a 300BLK, that is a different story and brings the entire discussion to a new direction.

With that said, I'm out.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Okay, so in the process of figuring out what I want on/in my AR-15 I've been coming to the realization I may need to build it from scratch to get just what I want on it. How hard is this to do? Any special tools? I have a pretty comprehensive set of construction and automotive tools (the miscellaneous 786 piece set :lol2:)

What parts would I need? Here is what I think is needed, let me know if I am missing parts. This is going with the assumption that I get something like a complete LPK including buffer tube assembly and stock.

Upper receiver
    Bolt carrier group
    Barrel
    Gas tube
    Gas block
    Charging handle
    Hand guard
    PSA upper build kit

Anything I am missing from the list? Any little pieces (or big)?

Having done some basic gun smithing and a shite load of automotive repair and construction work, am I cool considering this? I do have a neighbor who has built a number of ARs who has offered to help, but I don't know if that is assemble an LPK and put the pieces together, or if that extends to building an upper too.

Thanks!

AeroShell 33MS grease.

1/4 oz can:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WOJPWN..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=BDX67BMJ605QDVP8HY76

1/2 oz can:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BJ3HE0K?psc=1

I helped a friend put an upper together for his AR, a couple of weeks ago.

Some may say it isn't needed, but, the Aero grease will help keep galvanic corrosion at bay. Cheap insurance, anyway.

Windham Weaponry had a 16" HBAR barrel 'kit' that was very reasonable and is pretty darned accurate.
    Front gas block was already installed and pinned in place.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    AeroShell 33MS grease.

1/4 oz can:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WOJPWN..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=BDX67BMJ605QDVP8HY76

1/2 oz can:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BJ3HE0K?psc=1

I helped a friend put an upper together for his AR, a couple of weeks ago.

Some may say it isn't needed, but, the Aero grease will help keep galvanic corrosion at bay. Cheap insurance, anyway.

I will second this. It's a fantastic product and I have two peanut butter jars full of the stuff (plus a little extra). I'm never going to use it all.

So if you happen to have a small 1-2oz container, I'd be happy to share some with you at no charge. Makes it even cheaper insurance, if I may say so. ;)

Same goes for any other member getting into building their own upper(s). Happy to share the grease if you want a bit. It doesn't take much on the barrel nut threads. A couple ounces will go a *VERY* long way. Having a full tube of the stuff was probably a bit overkill, but I guess worst case it allows me to assist other enthusiasts with their first-time builds. :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I will second this. It's a fantastic product and I have two peanut butter jars full of the stuff (plus a little extra). I'm never going to use it all.

So if you happen to have a small 1-2oz container, I'd be happy to share some with you at no charge. Makes it even cheaper insurance, if I may say so. ;)

Same goes for any other member getting into building their own upper(s). Happy to share the grease if you want a bit. It doesn't take much on the barrel nut threads. A couple ounces will go a *VERY* long way. Having a full tube of the stuff was probably a bit overkill, but I guess worst case it allows me to assist other enthusiasts with their first-time builds. :)

That's one helluva offer!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom