• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Hi folks,

I thought I'd air some of my thoughts on having my AR-15 ready to roll for home defense, and hear what you all have to say.

First off, I can think of probably a dozen reasons why I'm better off with something else for this role. That's why I have my Glock and Mossberg, since I really consider these better suited to what I would expect from an "average" home invasion.

That being said, I keep my AR-15 relatively accessible, and always have a couple of magazines loaded and ready. The reason is pretty simple: I don't expect to need it. But if I do, I'll REALLY REALLY need it. It's my "Oh S***" and retreat fallback, for when unfortunate substances have hit the fan and I need a whole lot of ammunition.

Realistically, I know this isn't going to happen. But I have that little voice in my head asking me if, should that situation arise, I'll be ready to sit there with my pants down after my shotgun runs dry. Basically, what I'm saying is I have "not enough bang bang" anxiety, and I'm curious if my fellow Marylanders have the same condition.

Thoughts?

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    I think you need to consider over penetration.

Absolutely. That is one of my dozen reasons :)

I simply envision a scenario where 20 [insert enemy combatant of your choice]'s come busting in and I'm caught unable to respond effectively.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I live in an apartment. I keep one of my ARs ready as my HD gun. Why give the advantage to the home invaders, when I have a better tool at my disposal. Plus the little 62gr JSPs I'm using will obliterate themselves in the drywall before they can get to my neighbors.

I think you need to consider over penetration.

Very much so. Most rifle rounds will go through walls with ease, especially with newer houses all being drywall.

Did a test a few years ago in a house set to be demo'd with a 12 gauge. Slugs and buckshot all went through several layers of drywall AND tile. The slug went through each side of two walls, hit the exterior wall and exited the house. Birdshot on the other hand, most of it penetrated the first side of drywall, but did not exit the other side of the wall. Shots were taken from about 10-12 feet away with all tests. I have a handgun next to my bed if need be, but my primary home defense is a 12 gauge with birdshot, especially since I have family members in other parts of the home.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I live in an apartment. I keep one of my ARs ready as my HD gun. Why give the advantage to the home invaders, when I have a better tool at my disposal. Plus the little 62gr JSPs I'm using will obliterate themselves in the drywall before they can get to my neighbors.
    This!

AR-15 is a great choice. I like my Benelli shotgun, but I can't mount a light and a red dot to it easily, let alone have 25 rounds available in a light/low recoil package.

My HD AR is in 6.8 with 110gr SPC (I can legally hunt deer (and hogs) with it).

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    It's unlikely that you will know much in advance before your home gets invaded, and like most of us, it will never happen. Considerations might be how many invaders, how violent, etc. So I see two facets to your question:

1. What are the most prudent 'utensils' to have available, and
    2. How effectively will they work?

As poster #2 replied, there is a very large risk of over-penetration with rifle rounds, both through your intended target and/or through the walls of your dwelling. If you consider that even law enforcement officers, who have received a lot more training than most of us civilians, hit their target about 30% of the time due to the situation changing (target moving) and stress, and there's a very good chance that several of our shots (possibly most) will miss their intended target. YMMV.

Bottom line, for me anyway, is what are we most likely to be able to hit our target with, and what are the consequences if we miss? If you live out in the country and have no neighbors in shooting distance, that might affect your decision.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Very much so. Most rifle rounds will go through walls with ease, especially with newer houses all being drywall.

Did a test a few years ago in a house set to be demo'd with a 12 gauge. Slugs and buckshot all went through several layers of drywall AND tile. The slug went through each side of two walls, hit the exterior wall and exited the house. Birdshot on the other hand, most of it penetrated the first side of drywall, but did not exit the other side of the wall. Shots were taken from about 10-12 feet away with all tests. I have a handgun next to my bed if need be, but my primary home defense is a 12 gauge with birdshot, especially since I have family members in other parts of the home.
    Birdshot is for birds.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

So will handgun rounds, slugs, and buckshot. If you want it to go through people, it had better be able to go through sheet wall that I can punch through with my bare hands.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I think the AR is the best option. Any round sufficient to stop an attacker is going to penetrate multiple layers of drywall. If it's weak enough to be stopped by drywall, it's not going to be enough to defend your family.

The rifle configuration makes it easier to handle and aim in a barricaded defense situation, the low recoil allows for quick follow on shots, and standard capacity mags allow for many follow on shots.

A pistol allows for good concealment, but is challenging to handle accurately in a stressful situation without regular practice. An AR can be handled accurately at HD distances even for individuals with little practice.

A shotgun has significantly more recoil than an AR, carries less rounds, and still readily overpenetrates. You will still have to aim a shotgun, so there's not much of an advantage over an AR.

My 2 cents.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The only disqualifier to using an AR for HD is sound. Properly constructed bullets ie JHP/PSP/HVHP and not M855 will penetrate LESS than pistol and shotgun rounds.

30 rounds that are very effective against hoomins, low recoil and light weight.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    i would again say the AR is the best option. a 9mm or 45 acp round will go through more layers of sheetrock than a m193 55 grain bullet. if you are worried about other parties in your house... I suggest you do some training in your home to take into account where those people will be, and where are you safe shooting lanes in your own home (IE away from other bedrooms. if you hear a bump in the night, where are you going to defend yourself? are you familiar with "clearing" your house? do you even plan on doing that? if you have a 2 story, and all the bedrooms are upstairs, why bother going downstairs? you'd be better off holding the top of your stairs and using your ears to verify there is someone in your home. id put the effort into thinking which places are good "shoot from" spots, and good "shoot to" spots, and tactically put yourself in position to be able to execute that as home defense. home defense is not tactically running down the stairs in your underpants and boots running through the house to find a home invader. draw a diagram of your house, visualize where you might be, and where the intruder would be. visualize where your rounds will go from your bed to your door, your door to the entrance to the hallway, hallway to front door, or floor level windows. unless you are lining the inside of your walls with Kevlar plates or plate steel, over penetration will be an issue with any rounds effective on human targets at 10 yard range.

the AR is the right tool, plan for how you will use it, and over penetration won't be an issue. the AR is point and shoot accurate, little to no recoil. all guns are loud enough to damage your hearing without protection, so I don't think that's valid one way or the other.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    The only disqualifier to using an AR for HD is sound. Properly constructed bullets ie JHP/PSP/HVHP and not M855 will penetrate LESS than pistol and shotgun rounds.

30 rounds that are very effective against hoomins, low recoil and light weight.

see I have this debate with myself all the time. 5.56 vs handgun vs shotgun. all of them suck to unprotected ears. but 5.56 is the worst offender due to velocity.

I guess a solution is the microphoned ear muffs (amplify the sounds even) or, maybe an AR in 300 bllk. a subsonic (208 or 220 gr) at home defense ranges is very effective, and can be suppressed. however without an SBR, a suppresser would make an AR a bit long indoors.

come to think of it a pair of howard leights on the nightstand ready to go wouldn't be a terrible idea....

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Seen testing where low mass high speed projectiles penetrate less sheet wall than slower heavier moving pistol rounds.

^This.

see I have this debate with myself all the time. 5.56 vs handgun vs shotgun. all of them suck to unprotected ears. but 5.56 is the worst offender due to velocity.

I guess a solution is the microphoned ear muffs (amplify the sounds even) or, maybe an AR in 300 bllk. a subsonic (208 or 220 gr) at home defense ranges is very effective, and can be suppressed. however without an SBR, a suppresser would make an AR a bit long indoors.

come to think of it a pair of howard leights on the nightstand ready to go wouldn't be a terrible idea....

Subsonic 300BLK is ballistically similar to .45ACP (200-230gr projectile, ~800-900FPS). Would never choose this cartridge as a HD package.

The answer is a suppressed 5.56 SBR.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP seems to have thought thru the place and role of long guns in the Home Defense matrix ( original meaning).

M193 has been tested multiple times to have less interior wall penetration than conventional handgun ammo. Mopar pointed out the 5.56 in particular blast issue. I want to more generally point out the long gun vs handgun manageability.

If you will have to move around the house, or herd children, or rescue Krugerrands, or whatver the size and ability to use one handed will be an advantage. For those roles suited for long guns AR's are a viable option.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The OP seems to have thought thru the place and role of long guns in the Home Defense matrix ( original meaning).

M193 has been tested multiple times to have less interior wall penetration than conventional handgun ammo. Mopar pointed out the 5.56 in particular blast issue. I want to more generally point out the long gun vs handgun manageability.

If you will have to move around the house, or herd children, or rescue Krugerrands, or whatver the size and ability to use one handed will be an advantage. For those roles suited for long guns AR's are a viable option.

That's why they make the AR "Pistol". :D (I'm kidding they are basically pointless.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom