• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    there are others... was bored just googled when fa design started.. found that article.

i have both... never had issue (blown out primer..,knock on wood.. havent exp it.)

only one time on my lr308.. a friend rode the charging handle to load the round. only time it didnt seat the round correctly. mortared it.. slam the next round. no issues after.

Like I said, my statements about the necessity of the F.A. has nothing to do with nudging the Carrier into battery due to babying the gun or a fouled weapon. Its about ammo malfunctions. The Primer issues is the most common one. Its especially common with civilian AR's with military ammo (Short Throats). I diagnose these issues all of the time and I know how to decrease the odds of it happening but the F.A. should always be there.

When you add a sound suppressor or KKX Booster the chances of popped primers increase too.

Bad headspace can cause it as well, but in that case its best to shelf the weapon till it can be gauged.

Take a shooting class with an AR with no FA and get a malfunction like Im describing and your money will be wasted unless you bring a backup or the instructor loans you a carbine.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Last AR I broke in had a jam that the FA was helpful with - only happened once, never before on any other rifle, never since on that or any other rifle. But, if the context of the experience had been different, and I didn't have it, I would have really wanted it…. Apart from saving a buck or two (or perhaps availability during the Troubles from a year ago), why wouldn't you opt for FA on your hardware?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Who are you trying to debate?

I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through the AR platform as a civilian gunsmith. The U.S. Military uses only a few types of ammunition. In the civilian world there are thousands of ammunition combinations, different chambers, and weapon manufacturers to throw in the mix.

If ammo malfunctions in the way I have described repeatedly above, the FA is a necessity. If you haven't experienced it, its because of the sampling of ammo you are using in the particular systems your firing the ammunition from.

Its there for a reason, because its needed when ammo or conditions cause the weapon to crap the bed.

It's use is still part of an immediate action drill as taught by most instructors, most use the SPORTS acronym. Like the DI system, the FA is part of the design, messing with it is a good way to loose a valuable, although seldom needed tool, and invite problems for no real benefit.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Like I said, my statements about the necessity of the F.A. has nothing to do with nudging the Carrier into battery due to babying the gun or a fouled weapon. Its about ammo malfunctions. The Primer issues is the most common one. Its especially common with civilian AR's with military ammo (Short Throats). I diagnose these issues all of the time and I know how to decrease the odds of it happening but the F.A. should always be there.

When you add a sound suppressor or KKX Booster the chances of popped primers increase too.

Bad headspace can cause it as well, but in that case its best to shelf the weapon till it can be gauged.

Take a shooting class with an AR with no FA and get a malfunction like Im describing and your money will be wasted unless you bring a backup or the instructor loans you a carbine.

:thumbsup:

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been thankful for a forward assist 3 different times. The first time was a bad round when I was in the Marines. If it weren't for sport-fire/sports I would have been lost. The second time was a blown primer from one of my own reloads. The third time was inattention after a cleaning when I forgot to put the buffer and buffer spring back in and tried to function check. The FA made moving the bolt forward far enough to fix my f-u a lot easier.

Are FAs necessary? Probably not... Are they helpful? My experience says yes.

I had one slick sided upper on a cheap DPMS that got swapped for a blem'd BCM $49 upper.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Who are you trying to debate?

I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through the AR platform as a civilian gunsmith. The U.S. Military uses only a few types of ammunition. In the civilian world there are thousands of ammunition combinations, different chambers, and weapon manufacturers to throw in the mix.

If ammo malfunctions in the way I have described repeatedly above, the FA is a necessity. If you haven't experienced it, its because of the sampling of ammo you are using in the particular systems your firing the ammunition from.

Its there for a reason, because its needed when ammo or conditions cause the weapon to crap the bed.

I'm not debating anyone. I've never had an issue that required the use of a forward assist, but obviously it's really important to you. I feel the same way about women with boobs. I really don't have a practical (productive) application for them (boobs), but they are nice to have around and are a great source of entertainment. I recommend them highly.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not debating anyone. I've never had an issue that required the use of a forward assist, but obviously it's really important to you. I feel the same way about women with boobs. I really don't have a practical application for them (boobs), but they are nice to have around and are a great source of entertainment. I recommend them highly.

really? man..o.. man..

i can list a few applications.. but ill be banned if i do.

lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's been more of a benefit than a hindrance to me on a few occasions.

Just like keeping a med-kit or a spare tire or tool kit in your vehicle - majority of times you likely won't need those things, but when they are finally needed you're glad to have them around.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The original Air force CARs didn't have fa s back in the Vietnam era. I own one. Never had any problems out of it as long as I used good mags.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Never owned an AR without a forward assist, but never had to use it on any of them either.

Can it really save that much money not to have one?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    You are kidding right? You are saying you should stop after each shot using a semi automatic rifle and examine the battery of the bolt?

The forward assist isn't just there for a fouled gun, its there to get the bolt to seat so you can remove a popped primer or damaged casing that made it into the chamber.

Damage can occur to the casings when feeding or clearing a malfunction. Popped primers will lock up an AR and other rifles too. Whether the ammo is bad, the throat is short causing a pressure spike, or murphy decides to show up. AKs and SKSs lock up hard when a primer makes its way into the action too.

On weapons with a fixed bolt handle you can smack it it wood, a boot or a solid object to seat or take the weapon out of battery. The AR requires the FA to force the bolt closed to remove the upper to clear any nasty obstruction.
    what i'm saying if you have to use the forward assist, its gummed up, maybe a bad round, or something stuck in the chamber. i would rather examine the rifle first then have a kb.

Sirex