• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just found this from a NYT article discussing the rush for gun permits (CCW, NYT can't even get that right).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/u...iority=true&module=RegiWall-Regi&action=click

Since the court decision, over 3.1 million applications have been filed, EIGHT TIMES the normal number received annually.

Any bets we would see something similar here? I mean after all, the MSP claims that "most" applications for CCW in MD are granted.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Just found this from a NYT article discussing the rush for gun permits (CCW, NYT can't even get that right).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/u...iority=true&module=RegiWall-Regi&action=click

Since the court decision, over 3.1 million applications have been filed, EIGHT TIMES the normal number received annually.

Any bets we would see something similar here? I mean after all, the MSP claims that "most" applications for CCW in MD are granted.

That should be 4,000 out of 3.1 million residents in that county.

Mr H

Banana'd
    We saw (well, MSP tried desperately for us NOT to see) IMO somewhere north of 3,000 apps based on Woollard, and that was just a technical 'take your chances to prove a point' window.

If we received a solid decision??

Based on the unofficial numbers I've been working off for a few years (adjusted for the 'feel' I've gotten in my own contacts across the state), I would say we would be looking at not those 3,000... but conservatively closer to 20,000 who would be applying in the first year (and possibly many more).

IIRC, that is something like 10-15 times the annual application rate, IN ADDITION to the normal numbers.

If MSP is crying now about workloads, and can succeed in dragging their feet??? They will need some serious pressure from the people AND the Courts to make that happen.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'll take 10x that much based on the number of permits % I've seen for neighboring states: over 250k applications all told, 100k of those in the first year. I think they'd be lucky to get only 50k in the first year.

For 2 bricks of 22LR, shooters choice, I'll take the over on 20k. Most definitely.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    MSP estimates from 2012 in this report (which is an interesting read as they prepped for the "shall issue" disposition in MD by the court):.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/170875530/Action-Plan-Handgun-Permit-Section-08-16-2012

Also here from this year by DLS if self defense is considered G&S by the proposed bill (that was never voted in committee):

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/fnotes/bil_0006/hb0036.pdf

Sounds more reasonable. I was going off memory, but here is the GAO report from 2011 I was trying to summon from memory. Way at the back p 81, VA and WV: 4.7% of the population, PA 8.3%. I'd guess 6-7% for MD.

100-150k applications the first year, easy peazy. Somewhere on the Woollard thread I think we said there were about 30k Utah CCW holders in MD already. But don't quote me on that.

Attachments

• 592552.pdf
      6 MB · Views: 83

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Sounds more reasonable. I was going off memory, but here is the GAO report from 2011 I was trying to summon from memory. Way at the back p 81, VA and WV: 4.7% of the population, PA 8.3%. I'd guess 6-7% for MD.

100-150k applications the first year, easy peazy. Somewhere on the Woollard thread I think we said there were about 30k Utah CCW holders in MD already. But don't quote me on that.

For NJ at least, that data is suspect.

NJSP says they only issue around 600-800 permits per year and the permits expire in 2 years. There's no renewal so every permit is treated like a new one.

However, if 32k includes retired law enforcement that may be correct.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    For NJ at least, that data is suspect.

NJSP says they only issue around 600-800 permits per year and the permits expire in 2 years. There's no renewal so every permit is treated like a new one.

However, if 32k includes retired law enforcement that may be correct.

I think that they do.

Off-topic, did you see this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...w-jersey-appellate-court-on-handgun-licenses/

Not precedential but I thought it was interesting. I was going to post a thread, but for some reason I thought there already was one and just could not find it.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Some NY counties are essentially shall-issue. Most of them will give you a target and hunting permit and you can go back later and change it to an unrestricted. NY also has lifetime permits in some counties, but the SAFE act made them valid for 5 years only.

NY City you have to be Donald Trump, or similar to get an unrestricted carry permit.

Permits outside of NY City are valid only outside of the 5 boroughs of NYC. Permits from NYC are valid statewide.

In terms of ease, I would say that NY State (outside of NYC) is the easiest, followed by MD, then NYC, then NJ. There are people who live in NJ who have NYC permits (for work most likely) and they are told put the gun in the trunk until they reach NYC.

But don't think it is easy to get one in NYC. Look up Bernhard Goetz, and the subway incident. He was robbed and attacked and carries valuables and NYC said he had no need. But if you are a big campaign donor or political big wig (eg John Catsimatidis) you can get a permit, but the angle is that you get a carry business permit for your business instead of a personal "red card" which is what Anthony Cumia has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom