• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I had the cable jump the spool on one of my garage doors. I messed with it for a couple hours and don’t think I have the knowledge to fix it safely.

Any garage door experts, or pseudo experts that can fix this?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Chris Plante of WMAL Radio does spots for these guys, who sponsor his show: https://www.garagedoorrepair.com/

Unless you know what you're doing, best to hire a pro. Garage door springs are under tremendous tension and if they break or release unexpectedly, you won't have time to duck and will never know what hit you.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Chris Plante of WMAL Radio does spots for these guys, who sponsor his show: https://www.garagedoorrepair.com/

Unless you know what you're doing, best to hire a pro. Garage door springs are under tremendous tension and if they break or release unexpectedly, you won't have time to duck and will never know what hit you.

Depends on the type of spring. The old style extension springs on the side of the door are pretty safe to deal with. The newer torsion springs over the top of the door can be dangerous

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Mount Garage Doors. Great work, very reasonable price.
    9865f22d263dc11416b50e150692aed4.jpg

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Another one is Eastern Overhead door. They did a great job replacing my garage door and opener.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Depends on the type of spring. The old style extension springs on the side of the door are pretty safe to deal with. The newer torsion springs over the top of the door can be dangerous

Replaced both before safely. Remember to release tension before working on them. Without stored energy, they are inert metal coils.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Replaced both before safely. Remember to release tension before working on them. Without stored energy, they are inert metal coils.

Yes, and be sure to clamp the door in the open position before disconnecting the springs, and to install a safety cable through them, too.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Yes, and be sure to clamp the door in the open position before disconnecting the springs, and to install a safety cable through them, too.

After your done with that inspect all the hinges, sheaves and rollers and make sure all are turning as you open and close the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Mount fixed my doors that Gehman screwed up. I wouldn't let them come back for what they did. Not to mention Mount did the same work over at almost half the price.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom