• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    To answer the 2nd question long guns are etched to my knowledge as well.

As far as a gas can used in an arson, they are not etched same with knives. Im assuming because the gun, since test fire is mandatory, changes hands quite a bit while other items dont need to be tested as such so much less officers actually handle the items.

I still don't understand how etching solves any problems with firearms unless the whole chain of custody is etched into the thing. Any test firing from a lab should include a lab report with the serial number of the gun and any and all unique identifying marks on the gun as well as photo's of those marks. How is a unique etching any different than a unique serial number on a gun to prove beyond a doubt it was that gun that was tested.

Obviously if the serial number is unreadable or gone the etching would be justified.

So about the gas can, its not tested for prints by a lab? or sent out to verify what was in the can by a lab? Or sent to a lab to get any DNA off the can? My point is a simple everyday item can have just as much testing as a firearm and not need to be etched.

Is this etching a practice from way past prior to firearms having serial numbers that no one ever changed or challenged?

Altering the evidence should be kept to an absolute min. If I were at the defense table and someone showed me that firearm and asked if it were mine, I would say No, my firearm doesn't have those marks on it and here are the pictures of my firearm that doesn't show them marks. I know its B.S. but it still raises a tiny bit of doubt with uneducated jurors and gives them another thing to think about.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Actually boss I completly agree with you. I don't think that the operability should matter in a crime. I think that a member of the examination section should fire the gun without the officer present as there i no real need to have me here. The only need to fire the gun is to see if it was used in previous homicides.

If the gun was found on someone who pointed it at a victim and robbed them the fear should be enough.

I'm just trying to explain procedure to the best of my ability but my paycheck doesn't make rules it only follows them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom