• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Oh no, I am not talking about the assault atlatls, I am just talking about the ones that are not painted black.
    Besides, Giuliani said that no one is going to take away our hunting atlatls, they are just talking about getting the EBAs (Evil Black Atlatls) off the streets.
    The assault atlatls are the spear launcher of choice for terrorists and gangbangers. It does not matter that they are only used in .0007% of all spear murders (worldwide over the last 200 years) because they could be used to inflict deadly wounds through police kevlar vests at great distances.
    Also we must ban the sniper atlatls. No one needs a high powered atlatl that propells spears over four feet long.

Plus, he said the blind can use use them as well....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Oh no, I am not talking about the assault atlatls, I am just talking about the ones that are not painted black.
    Besides, Giuliani said that no one is going to take away our hunting atlatls, they are just talking about getting the EBAs (Evil Black Atlatls) off the streets.
    The assault atlatls are the spear launcher of choice for terrorists and gangbangers. It does not matter that they are only used in .0007% of all spear murders (worldwide over the last 200 years) because they could be used to inflict deadly wounds through police kevlar vests at great distances.
    Also we must ban the sniper atlatls. No one needs a high powered atlatl that propells spears over four feet long.

Look, I saw this Lie-Witless News report where the heroic reporter went undercover (at the risk to his own life wearing only a hidden video camera and Graucho glasses) to buy an atlatl at a nationwide sporting goods chain. They did not ask him for one piece of identification! He could have been a felon, a terrorist or underage! The reporter said so!

(They did however ask, "What's an atlatl?")

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Look, I saw this Lie-Witless News report where the heroic reporter went undercover (at the risk to his own life wearing only a hidden video camera and Graucho glasses) to buy an atlatl at a nationwide sporting goods chain. They did not ask him for one piece of identification! He could have been a felon, a terrorist or underage! The reporter said so!

(They did however ask, "What's an atlatl?")

I saw that episode too -- he bought it as a "kit", thus utilizing the infamous "spear-chucking" loophole..

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Alright Novus-- inquiring minds wanted to know -- I have inquired. Here goes:

States allowed to use Atlatl for all game species-

Alabama ----------Archery Season only
    Alaska
    South Carolina ---(just in 3 of the 8 "hunting zones)

States allowing use on non-game:

California ------ (surprised me too)
    Idaho ----forest grouse only
    Nevada ----unprotected species only (ex. coyotes and black jackrabbits)
    Oklahoma ----rabbits and squirrels only

States allowing use for fishing:

California ------Ocean only
    Delaware
    Georgia --non- sport only
    Idaho --Carp
    Illinois --non-sport only
    Kansas --non- sport only
    Kentucky --gigging season only (Feb 1 - May 10)
    Maryland --non game and rays and eels (check your regs)
    Mass --suckers, carp, and turtles
    Wash State -Carp only
    WVa -What's an Atlatl?? Seriously- True Answer

In WVA's defense, several states not listed just sent links to their regs and said "look it up yourself" -- probably because they didn't know what it was.

Connecticut was most interesting-- You can't use a spear to hunt, but you can use "high velocity air gun with single ball or pellet type projectile" !?!

This was compiled using states regs on spears as an Atlatl is just something used to help propel the spear.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ah, but the trick is "states that allow" it, but how many states disallow it and how many states don't address it thereby making it "not illegal".

I am beginning to think that Maryland does not "dissallow" it, so therefore I would assume that it is legal. Unless MD has something in the Natural Resources code specifically stating "only approved hunting devices", then I assume what is not specifically restricted or prohibitted is not "dissallowed".

Also, since a spear is an approved hunting device for at least fishing, then if it says "approved hunting devices" in code, then would that include spears and therefore atlatls?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    A lot of the states responded by saying "only devices listed are approved and a spear is not listed so it is illegal to use".

I do have to say I got this from an Atlatl hunting website and didn't compile all of this myself. I will try to find again and provide a link.

I guess the hunting my friends were doing in Texas was on a game farm (exotics).

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    I am a simple man,but,If it doesn't have sights or a scope mounted to it I won't hunt with it.It puts a new twist to the phrase,couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a banjo...

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    i have snared deer before. dont ask

Watched a doe get knocked unconscious trying to jump an electric fence-- thought it was dead. "Woke up" about 15min later. Thought I was going to fall out of the tree laughing..:) Didn't have the heart to shoot it. It could barely stand and wobbled around for a little while right under my tree.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Watched a doe get knocked unconscious trying to jump an electric fence-- thought it was dead. "Woke up" about 15min later. Thought I was going to fall out of the tree laughing..:) Didn't have the heart to shoot it. It could barely stand and wobbled around for a little while right under my tree.

Now I know how they get to use those clubs to hunt deer in Texas.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

That reminds me of this 911 call. **WARNING: Strong Language**

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    This question came up again with someone I know who is into primitive hunting and it made me look further, but this time in the regulations of MD. This is what I found and it is interesting because it seems to me hunting some game, and maybe deer and bear even with an atlatl is legal in MD.

.04 Devices for Hunting Forest Game.

A person may hunt forest game with a bow and arrow, a rifle, or any other means not prohibited by these regulations. A person may not hunt forest game, except deer or black bear, with any automatic loading or hand-operated repeating shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless the magazine is cut off or plugged with a solid, one-piece filler which cannot be removed from the loading end, so that the gun cannot hold more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
    So if an atlatl is not prohibitted by those regulations, then by default it should be legal to use. I see no where in the regulations (so far) that says spear is prohibtted (or knife for that matter...imagine hunting bear with just a knife).

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    I actually know someone with an Atlatl haha
    And I'm pretty handy with a spear, watched 300 enough times to get it down. :D

I should totally try this, my cousin would be up for a spear hunt for sure. Time to bust out the feathers and loincloths.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not a hunter, but one type of hunt I would LOVE to do would be an old fashioned boar hunt with spear. Boar spears are specially made and there are some specific techniques for such a hunt. An element of danger too!

Splitter

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But seriously I did recently read in hunting reg booklet they were legal. But I am geezy today , and don't recall if MD or VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom