• ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Deer eats away farmers profits- farmer calls DNR
    DNR comes by and verifies/observes problem
    DNR issues X number of permits (kind of like a coupon-if you will) One permit is good for one deer.....
    Farmer then can "cull" as many deer as he is issued permits (any day of the year)--I think you may even use a rifle in an area that normally would only permit shotgun--but I'm only going on rumors about that.

I know this thread dates back to 2007,but this issue has once again risen, so, I am bringing it back to life. There is currently some serious questions being raised about the regulations that farmers must follow regarding the dos and donts of these permits, so, I'll post whatever updates I find about the rifle use issue.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Deer eats away farmers profits- farmer calls DNR
    DNR comes by and verifies/observes problem
    DNR issues X number of permits (kind of like a coupon-if you will) One permit is good for one deer.....
    Farmer then can "cull" as many deer as he is issued permits (any day of the year)--I think you may even use a rifle in an area that normally would only permit shotgun--but I'm only going on rumors about that.

Here's the update direct from DNR:
    Shooters listed as agents hunting on Deer Management Permits are restricted to using weapons that are legal for deer hunting in the County the permit is issued in. Therefore for a Deer Management Permit issued in Charles County for example all shooters on the permit are restricted to using bow, muzzleloader, or shotguns and slugs. This goes for all agents (shooters) listed on the permit including the property owner, permittee (if permit issued to the agricultural lessee), and exempt and non exempt hunters. If it is not legal to use a breech loading rifle in the county the permit is issued for during the regulated firearms season than it is not legal to use a breech loading rifle on a Deer Management Permit in that county. If you have any further questions please give me a call at 410-535-0282.

Thanks,
    Dave Heilmeier

David Heilmeier
    Southern Region Manager
    MD DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg