• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have actually been thinking of trying to build a shotgun suppressor. There are a number of things to work out, but maybe some day. I was going to start with a Mossberg 500 in 410, then maybe something bigger. I started really thinking about it when I began toying with the Saigas. Keep an eye on my threads, and maybe something will come together.
    :thumbsup:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    You're always welcome to bring toys for me to check out ;), but I have a 12" Saiga that may end up the test subject :D By the way, your RPK is ready for a test fire :party29:

Just make sure you can open it up to clean it out. After Tony test-fired his, he reported there was a lot of plastic wad material "caked" in the first and second baffles.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    First, one does not need subsonic shot if they are just trying to reduce the sound level to the point where it doesn't make you permanently deaf because I assume the supersonic crack would not be loud enough to cause permanent damage in closed quarters.
    Second, yes, subsonic loads are fine for home defense. Imagine shooting someone with the power of nine .38 S&W bullets out of a revolver. Just one might do the job, but nine at once will have a wallop. One idea mentioned in the other thread about a SBS for home defense was overpenetration problems, but with round balls moving at subsonic speed overpenetration is not as much of an issue.

As for the added weight and such, well I assume a barrel of about 10" or less with a eight inch or more suppressor permanently attached wouldn't be much heavier than an 18" double barreled shotgun.

As to teh gas seal, well I assume if one is using a round with a shot cup much of the seal is taken care of, but if not then I assume the wadding will provide some.

You have some good points there. I hope someone is taking notes and put these ideas into fruition. I would really love to to own a hearing safe shotgun.The excessive blast and potential hearing damage is the reason why I am so fixated on suppressed guns. To date, most suppressed shotguns are inefficient.It seems like to succeed, a corroboration in suppressor design and the development of specialty ammo is a must.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    A bit bulky, but seems like it may be quiet.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BB__xEwuM50&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BB__xEwuM50&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    633607130475845120-shotgunsilencer.jpg

What movie is that from?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Where can one obtain subsonic shotgun ammo? will it cycle a semi-auto like the Saiga12? That seem to be the ticket to a hearing safe suppressed shotgun.
    How much slower is shotgun shot out of a shorter barrel? If some buckshot is rated for 1,100 FPS (Federal lists some at 1100) out of a 18+ inch barrel, then would it be below 1,000 FPS out of a ten inch or less barrel (with an 8+ inch silencer)?

Maybe one could also load their own. If cycling is a problem, then just load more lead for the same powder measure slowing down the velocity but keeping the same recoil or increasing it.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Where can one obtain subsonic shotgun ammo? will it cycle a semi-auto like the Saiga12? That seem to be the ticket to a hearing safe suppressed shotgun.

I doubt any out of the box subsonic ammo would cycle the Saiga, as they get tough to cycle when the barrel is shortened. I do believe, like Novus said, a custom load could probably be made with a heavier payload that may cycle semi autos.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    note to self: avoid falling block shotguns. Nice suppression but what a pain in the ass to load. Is a pump shotgun too modern to be legal in England?
    Pump shotguns and semis are legal in England with a shotgun certificate or a firearm certificate.
    In France pump shotguns are evil, bad and therefore illegal, but lever actions and semi auto are fine. From what I read, pump actions in much of Europe have that movie bad guy reputation that always leads to stupid gun laws like that.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Pump shotguns and semis are legal in England with a shotgun certificate or a firearm certificate.
    In France pump shotguns are evil, bad and therefore illegal, but lever actions and semi auto are fine. From what I read, pump actions in much of Europe have that movie bad guy reputation that always leads to stupid gun laws like that.

novus, you seriously need to go on Jeopardy or one of those Who Wants To Be A Millionare shows.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    novus, you seriously need to go on Jeopardy or one of those Who Wants To Be A Millionare shows.

I only do well because of Google, so maybe if they started a new show "google your answer", I might be a master . :)

Actually I looked into the shotgun thing a long while ago because I was wondering if I could bring my Remington 870 to England a number of years ago. I forgot the details though and had to read up on it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom