• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Let me start off by saying that I think certain guns should only be American-made (At least for me to buy one). I wouldn't buy a 1911, revolver, AR15, or AR10 unless they were made in America. I actually didn't buy (when they were legal) a Springfield M1A because it was made or the parts were made overseas (I think Taiwan). An M14 or M1 Garand should only be made stateside. I wouldn't buy a Springfield 1911, even though they are great 1911s, because many of the parts come from Brazil. That said, I have two XDs. I also love CZ handguns and Glocks.

So when Dan Wesson was acquired by CZ, I wrote them off. I bought a few Colt 1911s, a Nighthawk, and ordered a Wilson Combat. Then I did some more research and found out that Dan Wesson 1911s are still made 100% in America (If you count NY as America! Actually upstate NY is totally different from downstate) and all of their parts are American-made.

I just purchased a Dan Wesson Silverback (two tone) 45acp 1911 (it's being shipped now). It looks beautiful and it appears to have many of the extras that a Nighthawk and Wilson have, at less than half of the price.

To those of you with Dan Wesson's, what do you think of them? Most of the reviews that I read were very complimentary. They appear to have excellent quality control (something that Colt doesn't have even on their Custom Shop 1911s). Dan Wesson also seems to have a reputation as a very reliable 1911.

What say you?

Below is a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• Dan Wesson Silverback.jpg
      Dan Wesson Silverback.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 502

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Is it bad manners to ask the cost? Did you order thru a FFL or direct for shipment to an FFL?

Even though I'm pissed at them, I bought it from Bud's. I got it for $1400. Put in a price match. I have it sent to South Mountain Arms, the best FFL in Maryland. South Mountain also has some really nice used guns for sale.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That price is fair. I am sure someone will indicate they bought for less. Good guns. Great reputation.
    It is a handsome gun, that's for sure. A great performer. For that money, I would say an excellent buy
    compared to other make/models in that price tier. Now you have me thinking....

American built gun, built in America, with American made parts. What's not to like?
    But the profits still go to CZ. Global economy and all that. I wonder if "Dan Wesson" is just for
    marketing or a real separate entity within the CZ umbrella. I haven't kept up to speed on that.
    If they are a separate entity, could they buy their way out? If so, would the product be as well made?

Shoot it, enjoy it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Love my DW 1911 Guardian Bobtail Commander in 9mm (also came with 9x23mm). My favorite carry gun right now.
    If you don't think CZ makes great guns you will find that a lot of competition shooters use CZs also. Lots more than use Dan Wessons since they make a lot more. But most pro shooters have a high opinion of DW firearms also. I own a Colt 1911 Competition model in .45 also and I can tell just looking at them why my Dan Wesson costs at least 50% more than my Colt.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have a Silverback and love it.
    Sent the grips back to VZ to have scoop cut, and added DW magwell, and slotted screws.
    Superb trigger out of the box, and accurate.
    You will be happy.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would love to see Dan Wesson make the Commander CBOB in 10mm again. I picked up a Silverback in 10mm last year, which is no long available from DW as of 2018. It is nicer than the 10mm Kimber STII I used to have. The trigger is better than the new 10mm SA TRP Operator I just got. The higher priced 1911s from SA are all American.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    A friend of mine carries one, I tried it out one day and didn't miss a plate running through two mags so it seemed like a natural fit to my shooting abilities and I rarely shoot 1911s. Looks good, you should love it!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I have a Dan Wesson Valor and absolutely love it. I ended up trading in an AR10 and a high end optic for it and a shotgun a while back. Fit, finish and function on the gun are all excellent. I'd buy a Dan Wesson in 10mm if I was going to step up to that caliber.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Love my DW 1911 Guardian Bobtail Commander in 9mm (also came with 9x23mm). My favorite carry gun right now.
    If you don't think CZ makes great guns you will find that a lot of competition shooters use CZs also. Lots more than use Dan Wessons since they make a lot more. But most pro shooters have a high opinion of DW firearms also. I own a Colt 1911 Competition model in .45 also and I can tell just looking at them why my Dan Wesson costs at least 50% more than my Colt.

No, I know CZ makes great guns. I used to use my CZ75 SP-01 in action pistol shooting events.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I love my Dan Wesson PM9. Fit and finish are excellent, very accurate, and the slide to frame fit is tight. When I rack the slide, no other gun comes close to how smooth the slide glides on the frame.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    A razorback is on the short list of "guns I'll get when I have money again". They're some of the nicest 1911s out there this side of the crazy custom super-boutique makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom