• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I figure this is the perfect forum for this. What went wrong here to this kid in the video and how could it be avoided?

It looks like it might be a top break shotgun.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Video description: "homemade shell blows up 12 guage shotgun"

"Homemade" shell? Hmmmm.....

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    what went wrong with this kid or to this kid - cause with this kid i would lay 20-1 odds it was inbreeding.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    I'm not that familiar with shotguns. Can a top-break gun be fired with the breech unlocked, if the parts are otherwise being held in position? The shooter appeared to manipulate something on top of the receiver before shooting.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    if it was a home made shell that probably your culprit trying to increase the powder charge perhaps ? he did say it was going to suck

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Dunno, I've shot really hot loads from a break. I'm thinking along the lines that the catch was not operating correctly, and the kid knew it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm not that familiar with shotguns. Can a top-break gun be fired with the breech unlocked, if the parts are otherwise being held in position? The shooter appeared to manipulate something on top of the receiver before shooting.
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it didn't fire because it was not closed properly at first or as Indigoes suggested it was a bad latch.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The muzzle blast and blast from the top were WAY more than even most 3" shells I have fired, and the "homemade shell description" would seem to make that the culprit. As far as not firing on the first trigger pull, a primer not seated properly would be my first guess, because in a top break if the breech was opened far enough to let the shell blow out, the pin would not have lined up with the shell, and even with a broken latch, the gun would still fire OK, the latch doesn't hold and chamber pressure. Dumass almost earned himself a darwin award.

hunter3705

Jan 8, 2010
    Halethorpe
    The action opened when the weapon fired. Our hero also said something about a pin being broken, too, just before action lever went through the roof of his mouth. My guess is that the action wasn't locked. Any number of things could cause that: wrong size shell, dirty action, broken or worn parts. I'm wondering if he crammed a 3-1/2" 12ga shell into a 2-3/4" chamber. The additional length could have kept the action from closing and locking up properly. There's no cure for stupid, that's for sure.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    From a comment on the site:

@cgh201128 He probably filled the cartridge with lead. I seen it happen before. Especially if the barrel isnt lubricated, the lead heats up goes soft and if there isnt enough lubrication it catches in the barrel and then BOOM. Although when i saw it happen it just blew the barrel. In this video it looks like its blown up in the breech.

WTF?:bs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom