• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Does anyone have any idea how soon the Chicago and San Fransisco gun ban lawsuits may be before it gets to the Supreme Court?
    I am worried Scalia might croak before it gets there and the next decision could either be a tie while waiting for the appointment of a new judge, or Obama appoints someone to his seat.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Honestly, I don't think it will get to the Supremes. What district court, much less appelate court, is going to read Heller and decide that the 14th amendment doesn't apply? Aside from the 9th, that is?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Honestly, I don't think it will get to the Supremes. What district court, much less appelate court, is going to read Heller and decide that the 14th amendment doesn't apply? Aside from the 9th, that is?
    Then how long before it possibly gets to the SC denies Cert.?

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    Have they petitioned for cert yet? If so, there is no way to tell. They get around to it when they decide to. If not, where are the cases currently? Sorry, haven't been following them.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Have they petitioned for cert yet? If so, there is no way to tell. They get around to it when they decide to. If not, where are the cases currently? Sorry, haven't been following them.

I am not even sure they have even had one day in court yet. I would love to find a link with updates.

.....just found it :)
    http://www.chicagoguncase.com/
    We’ve been advised that the Court would prefer ruling on the Second Amendment incorporation issue not within the context of a summary judgment motion, but as presented in a Rule 16 motion to narrow the issues in the case.

On Tuesday, October 21, we obliged the Court and filed just such a motion.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008

<<<<< UPDATE >>>>>

Dec 06 2008
    Moving Forward
    Published by Alan Gura

In October, shortly after we filed our Rule 16 motion (see Oct. 24 post below), the NRA filed similar motions in their companion case challenging Chicago’s handgun ban, as well as its case challenging Oak Park’s handgun ban. Although our cases do not perfectly overlap, the goal of all three Rule 16 motions in each case was the same: to seek an opinion from the Court that, as a matter of law, state and local governments are bound by the Second Amendment.

On Thursday, the District Court issued an opinion and order in the NRA cases, denying the motions. A similar opinion and order, adopting the Court’s rationale in the NRA cases, was entered in our case. The District Court ruled, essentially, that whatever the merits of our claims, it is bound by existing precedent holding that the Second Amendment does not apply to state and local governments. The order in our case denied not only our Rule 16 motion, but also our previously unresolved motion for summary judgment. A hearing is set in all three cases for December 9, to see where the matters now stand.

Although we would have preferred that the Court had ruled in our favor, we are not disappointed. From Day One, it was clear that this case would be decided conclusively on appeal. This development takes us one step closer toward the elimination of Chicago’s failed and unconstitutional gun ban, and for that, we are grateful.

<<<<< CASES >>>>>

NRA v. Village of Oak Park decision: http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dist_ct_nra_opinion.pdf

McDonald v. Chicago decision: http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dist_ct_mcdonald_opinion.pdf

McDonald v. Chicago appeal: http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/notice_filed.pdf

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    To which precedents was the court referring when it said that the states were not bound by the 2A?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    To which precedents was the court referring when it said that the states were not bound by the 2A?

If you read the Heller decision, I think they were alluded too, but they were rulings dealing with the collective or militia aspect IIRC. The individual right aspect has not been ruled on yet as I think I understand it.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    What do you mean, that it is going straight for them and to make an easy decision on in our favor, or against us?

I read the decision as a perfect setup to overturn Quilici v. Village of Morton Grove in the Court of Appeals.

It has to happen in the Court of Appeals, not the District Court. The Distict Court shouldn't have tried to overturn a higher court.

I think District Court Judge Shadur did us a favor. Judge Shadur asked for the perfect case that he knew he had to decide against in order to set up the appeal for a slam-dunk.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I read the decision as a perfect setup to overturn Quilici v. Village of Morton Grove in the Court of Appeals.

It has to happen in the Court of Appeals, not the District Court. The Distict Court shouldn't have tried to overturn a higher court.

I think District Court Judge Shadur did us a favor. Judge Shadur asked for the perfect case that he knew he had to decide against in order to set up the appeal for a slam-dunk.

:thumbsup:

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Jan 28 2009
    Opening Appellate Brief Filed

Published by Alan Gura under Uncategorized

Today we filed our opening brief in the Court of Appeals. The basic arguments may be familiar to those who have followed the proceedings below, but we had somewhat more room to work with at this stage, not to mention the decision below required a response.

All three remaining Chicago-area cases, ours and the two brought by the NRA against Chicago and Oak Park, have been consolidated on appeal.

That means that they will be heard and decided together by the same panel, and the parties on both sides are to minimize the degree of overlapping arguments among them. We’ll post the other briefs on this website (the NRA’s, the Cities’, and amicis’) as they come in.

In a week, we expect the amici supporting us to file their briefs. Chicago and Oak Park turn in their efforts in thirty days, followed by their amici in a week. We then get a reply two weeks later. The case will most likely be argued, and perhaps even decided by the Court of Appeals, sometime this year.

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/appellants_brief_074244final.pdf

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Elegant. The Appellate Brief filed in the Chicago Gun Case by Alan Gura is perfect elegance.

Chicago's gun laws are toast. Count the days....

I wish Alan Gura would turn his attention to the unconstitutionality of Maryland gun laws.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Be nice if Maryland would listen but we're Maryland. We're like Exxon.

Liberal Hippie Bumper sticker quote that I saw on 270 the other day:

Care? We dont have to care. We're Exxon, we are the problem!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom