• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I looked around and found that American Rifleman states that 40 S&W is OK in the Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm model.
    The Ruger manual has specifics about using 40 S&W in their manual - see page 13.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/gp100.pdf

Relevant portion quoted below:
    "The 10MM GP100 ® will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber
    ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commerical ammunition.
    For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in
    this revolver."

This invalidates everything I said before about expensive. Now I want one.
    Great discussion - Thanks guys - I learned a lot.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I looked around and found that American Rifleman states that 40 S&W is OK in the Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm model.
    The Ruger manual has specifics about using 40 S&W in their manual - see page 13.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/gp100.pdf

Relevant portion quoted below:
    "The 10MM GP100 ® will function, and has been tested, with 40 S&W caliber
    ammunition, but may misfire (fail to fire) with some commerical ammunition.
    For this reason, Ruger does not recommend the use of 40 S&W ammunition in
    this revolver."

This invalidates everything I said before about expensive. Now I want one.
    Great discussion - Thanks guys - I learned a lot.

99.9% of 40 will work. Foreign-manufactured ammo with hard primers may have issues, although the one I shot did not have any issues.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Can also ream the chambers to accept 10mm magnum, and get even more power, at a little bit of loss to 40s&w accuracy

Any idea who can do this well, and how much it would cost? I was hoping Ruger would come out with the GP100 in .41 mag, but a 10mm mag might be close enough. And more versatile.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Any idea who can do this well, and how much it would cost? I was hoping Ruger would come out with the GP100 in .41 mag, but a 10mm mag might be close enough. And more versatile.

Probably the same guy who does the 10mm Magnum conversion for the S&W 610. Clement's Customs does the work.

I'm going to point out that the smith who does the GP100 conversion wouldn't work on the .357 Match Champion because there wasn't enough meat on the barrel.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think the gun would look better with a full underlug and the rubber/ wood grips of the older GP-100, but that's just me.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Very interesting. Here's some initial thoughts.

On the downside 10mm ammo is just plain silly expensive.
    Where the 10mm loses to the 357, in my opinion, is in versatility. It does not have the option of shooting cheaper factory 357 ammo and target 38's are also out of the question.

Not really true anymore. My last order or 10mm and 38 spc, 10 boxes of each was about the same price.

+1 Google is your friend. Shop around and you can get 10mm target loads for 38 spc prices

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I hate to do this, but here I go anyway... I'll preface with this: I love 10mm. Love it. I really need to start rolling my own so I can get more out of it..., but... I don't see the point in a 10mm revolver. There, I said it. I feel like in a wheel gun that size you can get better ballistics out of a true revolver caliber. I feel like 10mm beauty is you get outstanding ballistics in a reliable semi auto... And I drop the mag and replace and I'm back up and running with 9 or 15 rounds. That being said, before you bash me, please, convince my why I want this... Totally open: shoot.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Interesting option, however IMHO the Ruger frame is too bulky when compared against a S&W model 19 “k” frame revolver.

With my S&W....I will stay!

GP100 competes with the 686 L frame, not K frame. K frame cannot handle 10mm. Ruger exited the K-size business decades ago when the Security Six went away. S&W did the same until the recent reintroduction of the Model 66 K frame in .357Mag.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I hate to do this, but here I go anyway... I'll preface with this: I love 10mm. Love it. I really need to start rolling my own so I can get more out of it..., but... I don't see the point in a 10mm revolver. There, I said it. I feel like in a wheel gun that size you can get better ballistics out of a true revolver caliber. I feel like 10mm beauty is you get outstanding ballistics in a reliable semi auto... And I drop the mag and replace and I'm back up and running with 9 or 15 rounds. That being said, before you bash me, please, convince my why I want this... Totally open: shoot.

I feel pretty much the same. I like 10mm for the fact that it's like having a 357 semiauto...BUT I am all for people having a choice. My choice is mod19 for .357 and g20sf for 10mm

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

SA/DA 10mm revolver is an outdoors gun. It can get dirty in the boondocks yet remain reliable. It intentionally has a long, heavy DA trigger for situations where you can trip over rocks, logs, or whatever. It's the opposite of a civilization-oriented, semi-auto pistol with a light trigger.

I would have preferred a 9mm GP100, but I understand why Ruger did 10mm. 10mm is a lot more effective against larger wild animals.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    SA/DA 10mm revolver is an outdoors gun. It can get dirty in the boondocks yet remain reliable. It intentionally has a long, heavy DA trigger for situations where you can trip over rocks, logs, or whatever. It's the opposite of a civilization-oriented, semi-auto pistol with a light trigger.

I would have preferred a 9mm GP100, but I understand why Ruger did 10mm. 10mm is a lot more effective against larger wild animals.

I see your point, I just don't believe it can do what a glock 20 can't. I used to have revolvers growing up and want to get back into it, I just don't think I'd do a 10mm wheel gun. I'll concede that it probably requires less maintenance and can get "more gunkier," but how nasty is it really going to get?

And, as previously mentioned, I like options, personal preference, etc. So, I totally get it, but it's not blowing my skirt up.

I'd still like someone to convince me it's awesome. Always open to that.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I enjoy the 10mm round...I have three Delta Elites and each is superbly accurate and reliable...never a problem. I'd love a 10mm revolver as well...while I'm hardly a Ruger fanboy they do make fine, serviceable products and if they're the only game in town for an American made 10mm revolver that's where I'll go. I know they make a Super Redhawk in that caliber but I feel the platform is best suited for larger and more powerful rounds. The GP100 platform should be about perfect for it...though I would prefer it with a 6" barrel rather than a 4"...maybe Ruger is already planning that. I know Ruger makes or has made the Blackhawk in 10mm but, as fine a gun as the Blackhawk is I'd like a DA revolver.

If Colt would get off their duffs and reintroduce the Anaconda...including one in 10mm that would be one really awesome handgun!

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I see your point, I just don't believe it can do what a glock 20 can't. I used to have revolvers growing up and want to get back into it, I just don't think I'd do a 10mm wheel gun. I'll concede that it probably requires less maintenance and can get "more gunkier," but how nasty is it really going to get?

A revolver can sit under a truck seat for years, get caked in dirt and dust, and still go bang when you pull the trigger. It can sit in a nightstand drawer for 50 years and go bang when you pull the trigger. Most semi-autos will not be reliable under the same abuse. A huge upside of the GP100 with the rubber Hogue grip is it can be completely taken down without tools, including removal of the trigger assembly, hammer, mainspring, and crane.

How gunky? Worst case in the outdoors, you fall or drop the gun and it gets caked in mud. A GP100 can be washed off in the nearest water source and still go bang. It can be quickly disassembled to clean thoroughly. In fairness, can do the same with simpler semi-autos, but there's risk of subsequent feed problems. Since ammo is not easy to come by in the woods, you might not find out about feed issues until your life depends on it. Feed issues are the #1 shortcoming of semi-autos (handguns and long guns) when you're far away from civilization.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

And, as previously mentioned, I like options, personal preference, etc. So, I totally get it, but it's not blowing my skirt up.

I'd still like someone to convince me it's awesome. Always open to that.

I agree. There is only one reason I ever want a revolver, and that's so I can use a caliber that's too powerful for a semi, like .44magnum or .454. It's a trade off.

Since Glock makes a 10mm that holds 15 rounds, I see no point on getting a six shooter at all. In my opinion, the major benefit of the 10mm is that you can trade off a little of the power of the revolvers and have a decently powerful outdoor cartridge with a lot more capacity.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just in case anyone wants to know, assuming I pick one of these up, it will be my second 10mm Ruger revolver. The first one is a Lipsey exclusive Blackhawk convertible with a 7.5" barrel. I own no 10mms with double-stack magazines, although that may change in the future. I do know that my slightly off 40 and 10mm ammunition goes into revolvers. Slightly off being too long for the magazine or the crimp isn't perfect. I used to have a S&W 610 for that duty, but it's really too big for me to shoot double-action. I like the smaller framed GP100, that was the perfect non-Colt double-action revolver for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom