WHY does my background check get delayed EVERY time I buy a long gun?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have a UPIN and still get put on hold! Local FFL received my shotgun, using my UPIN filled out the 4473 on Saturday. BIG AS SHIT ON HOLD.

As of this date and time, still on hold, very upsetting.

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    I have a UPIN and still get put on hold! Local FFL received my shotgun, using my UPIN filled out the 4473 on Saturday. BIG AS SHIT ON HOLD.

I was going to apply for the upin but my firearm dealer said the same thing, it could still be on hold. I went to pick mine up after the waiting period and my app was never “approved or denied”. He gave me an example of apps that were “approved” (while keeping other information confidential obviously) and showed that mine was just in purgatory.
    So annoying. Hopefully yours goes through soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    November bought hunting rifle took about 1/2 hour , March was delayed almost a week, about 3 weeks ago went though in 15 minutes . You tell me I can’t figure it out . I believe it is the type of purchase your making/style so to speak. All where rifles, but different types, hunting , modern , WW1

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    November bought hunting rifle took about 1/2 hour , March was delayed almost a week, about 3 weeks ago went though in 15 minutes . You tell me I can’t figure it out . I believe it is the type of purchase your making/style so to speak. All where rifles, but different types, hunting , modern , WW1

They don't get that info when the check is called in though?

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I was getting continual "holds" in Maryland on NCIS, but not in PA. I finally got a "denial". Clean background, Ex-police, Security Clearance, Federal employee, retired military, etc.. Appealed the denial and tried to find out the reason and hit a Catch-22. They won't tell you why because of Privacy Law. Got an " approval", but another Catch-22, they can't maintain the record of the appeal, so every time it could mean another denial and appeal. I applied and got a UPIN, which allows them to maintain the appeal and the allowance on record. No problem since the UPIN. Keep in mind people continually get arrested and use false names or ID information they get somewhere. Later they are released or properly IDed but very seldom do the local police agencies bother with correcting or expunging the original record. If you are the victim of the wrong record, then UPIN is about the only solution.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg

Next time have then call the check in and see if it goes through. Most of these cases i have seen, bypass the issue by calling it in.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Next time have then call the check in and see if it goes through. Most of these cases i have seen, bypass the issue by calling it in.

With computers today everything is online. Don’t know if anyone still calls them in, but worth a try.

Still on-hold, feel like a friggin criminal. All those years on the road for the flag, missing the rugrats walking, graduations etc, it is friggin wrong.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    With computers today everything is online. Don’t know if anyone still calls them in, but worth a try.

NICS can done on the E-Check website or by phone. The online check is available 24/7, but the telephone check is only available from 8AM to 1AM East coast time, 7 days a week.

rauler

May 2, 2012

Still on-hold, feel like a friggin criminal. All those years on the road for the flag, missing the rugrats walking, graduations etc, it is friggin wrong.
    Are you still on hold? Hopefully your shotgun is already home.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    did you have a protective order once? That causes a delay (not a restraining order, the other side of that, the protective order)

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I was in the same boat. Would always get flagged for no reason, and I have a very rare / unusual name. Two times ago (previous times I just forgot about it to be honest) I marked my calendar, waiting the recommended time for everything to fully go through and then have them do a review to see why I was flagged, and after all that, they said there was nothing in my record that would have led to being delayed. I wasn't exactly pleased. Last time, for the first time, it went through no problem after I told them at the counter "watch, I get delayed every time..." I wonder if they just weren't typing my name in correctly over the phone, as my last name is two words. Maybe w/ system upgrades it can now handle my name =\

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Which local police departments can handle the "rolled" fingerprint card required for the UPIN?

Baltimore County?
    Maryland State Police?

Decided to apply for the UPIN, but didn't see the fingerprint requirement. Just need to acquire and upload that.

I have odd name, one of two in the USA.
    My son being the other.
    Neither of us has any sort of current, past, or pending criminal record, activity, ex parte's, security clearances, etc...
    Both have HQL's
    Both have Designated Collector status
    Both use SSN on every gun purchase.
    He has never bought a long gun.
    I have been DELAYED on every long gun purchase I have ever made.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    It's bound to happen once in a while. What is the use of having the system if they can't challenge it once in a while?
    Hope the Rifle finds a comfy place to lay until you get it.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Ever held a security clearance? I get delayed everytime usually takes about an hour. Not sure how true it is but someone told me its because I once held a clearance so the system shows that I've been under investigation by the fbi in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom