• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I grabbed #1 of alliant varmint powder as i can't find any other 223 powders in stock locally. Anyone use this for 223? Looked up data for and it looks like it's meant for lighter bullets.

I got 22.5-23.5 gn 55 gn RMR fmjbt's loaded up and ready for ladder tests. Will report back on results.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Many varmint bullets are lighter and are also made to explode the varmint. A standard 55gn FMJ just doesn't explode like varmint bullets.

Just paper punching with this stuff at the moment. TAC and BLC-2 are my go-to powders, but with that stuff unvailable, I am open to trying other stuff to fill up 55gr FMJ range loads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My range fodder is 25.5 grains H335 under a 55 grain FMJBT

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Reporting in. All loads ranging from 22.5-23.5 gn cycled fine with the bolt locking back on the last shot with no clear overpressure signs.

23.5 ran best at around 2 MOA at 100 yards, which is all i'm looking for out of these RMR 55 grain FMJBT's, mixed HS running out of a ruger AR556, 16" 1:7 twist HBAR. Going to load them up as general range ammo.

I might run 23.5-24.7 gn ladder tests to see how they run in the near future. If i do, ill report back on those results.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    That's pretty good accuracy considering the 55gn bullets out of a 1 in 7 twist barrel. I think if you run them faster, the group will open up.

My apologies, it's a 1:8 twist barrel. The groups still open up when ran faster loads though. I typically get good results with the slower side of the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom