• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Get a one piece Dewey or Pro Shot rod, patches and foaming bore cleaner. I believe both the Dewey and Pro Shot come with jags and slotted patch holders. If they don't get one each and you won't need anything else.

This ^^^^^

There are some other quality rods, but one piece and STEEL is the key.

Doesn't Chad say something about those who have and those who will have a pull through break and be stuck in the bore?????

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Dewey make great rods. Stay away from the screw together rods. Try not to use a long rod in a short barrel. I usually use a dry bore snake to get most of the crud out, then Ballistol soaked patches or sprayed in to soak for 30 minutes. Then jag/brush patch as needed for the rest till clean.

I personally can't put a gun away after even a single round w/o cleaning it. During a hunting trip, I may wait till I get home to clean the barrel except for muzzie season where I will use a boresnake to get most of the crud out.

I've always wondered what is worse, cleaning after every session or letting gun powder residue corrode your barrel etc.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    This ^^^^^

Doesn't Chad say something about those who have and those who will have a pull through break and be stuck in the bore?????

I only used those cause they are the ones that I have and could get the name right :lol2:

Tipton rods are real good too.

I know Chad has had to remove more than a few bore snakes that have broken while being pulled through the barrel. I've had a couple and never really cared for them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My Otis kit is so old, I bought way back (late 80s/90s sometime) there was only 1 and it went by a different name. And I totally forgot it. Whole Kit & Caboodle. That's it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My Otis kit is so old, I bought way back (late 80s/90s sometime) there was only 1 and it went by a different name. And I totally forgot it. Whole Kit & Caboodle. That's it.

Hal-Smith.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A boresnake won't "clean" a barrel, they only sweep out loose fouling, which is all I really need for most of my firearms. For my precision barrels, they are lapped, so they don't really collect anything other than copper fouling, I will use wipeout overnight, then sweep the blue goo out with a patch or mop with a tipton coated rod. They rarely get cleaned after the first couple hundred rounds break them in, and usually takes a couple boxes of ammo to get enough copper in the bore to shoot consistently again. The only barrels I clean regularly are a couple revolvers shooting hardcast, and the Lewis lead remover works best for them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get a good one piece coated rod, a brass jag, a bore guide(or just yank the bolt and use the carrier as a "bore guide"), a bunch of patches, and wipe out(accelerator too if you're in a hurry or breaking in a barrel at the range). Foam up the barrel, leave it slightly tilted with the muzzle down over a paper plate, and go live your best life for an hour or so. Come back and run some patches from chamber to muzzle until the green gunk stuff stops. Repeat as necessary. It'll be gentle on the bore, very effective at getting rid of crap in the barrel, and won't waste much of your time.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I ended up getting a nylon bore snake cable instead of those string ones. It should be stiff enough to slide down a .223 hole.

This ^^^^^

Damn that would suck.

Dewey make great rods. Stay away from the screw together rods. Try not to use a long rod in a short barrel. I usually use a dry bore snake to get most of the crud out, then Ballistol soaked patches or sprayed in to soak for 30 minutes. Then jag/brush patch as needed for the rest till clean.

I personally can't put a gun away after even a single round w/o cleaning it. During a hunting trip, I may wait till I get home to clean the barrel except for muzzie season where I will use a boresnake to get most of the crud out.

I've always wondered what is worse, cleaning after every session or letting gun powder residue corrode your barrel etc.

I dont think gun powder residue really does any damage to your barrel unless it's old surplus corrosive ammo.

You can go a long time without cleaning before noticing any loss of accuracy, so for an AR I usually just wipe the crud off of the BCG and re lubricate. I don't clean barrels often. In fact I can't remember the last time I have cleaned my barrels. I go several range trips without doing it. Even for long range rifles.

I find that barrel cleaning can cause a slight POI shift so I usually don't clean until right before I'm going to the range to zero.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I don't clean my barrels often but I need to once in a while. Every rod it seems breaks after a few uses. And every bore snake is near impossible to fit in a .223 barrel even if it says it is for .223.

Any suggestions?

I've been using the same plain jane multi-section aluminum rod that came with a Hoppe's cleaning kit for 30+ years now. I'm wondering how your are breaking them??

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Over cleaning damages firearms more than leaving them alone.

Except for corrosive ammo or powder. If you shoot very old military ammo or black powder (including some of the substitutes) you need to clean after every range trip.

Otherwise, wipe down the outside (I use Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade), and put them away.

It seems that most long range shooters are only cleaning when accuracy starts to degrade.

The military teaches cleaning after every use for two reasons. 1) Tradition, dating back to corrosive ammo, and 2) Getting newbies used to cleaning and getting familiar with their firearm.

BUT, if something wears out, the armorer fixes it for free. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've been using the same plain jane multi-section aluminum rod that came with a Hoppe's cleaning kit for 30+ years now. I'm wondering how your are breaking them??

A tight patch. Pushing hard, and getting a bit off axis, rod bends, then breaks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Now to start a "discussion" :)

Coated or bare rods? :D

I use bare rods. The idea being that coated rods can get grit embedded in the coating and do damage. With the bare rod, a wipe with a clean rag, and there is no grit to worry about.

The pro for coated rods is that the surface is softer and will not wear the bore if it touches.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Now to start a "discussion" :)

Coated or bare rods? :D

I use bare rods. The idea being that coated rods can get grit embedded in the coating and do damage. With the bare rod, a wipe with a clean rag, and there is no grit to worry about.

The pro for coated rods is that the surface is softer and will not wear the bore if it touches.

Coated. I wipe the rods clean before using them. Unless they fell in a sandpit and got stepped on, hard to get grit embedded so deep a wipe down won't remove them.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Totally unnecessary. Unless you’re shooting corrosive ammo, you are most likely doing way more damage by cleaning them so often than any residue will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    No kit. One piece Dewey rod. Brass jags and cotton patches. Hoppes, non-chlorinated brake cleaner, mineral spirits, synthetic motor oil, and white lithium grease. I mixed up some Ed's Red a few years ago but don't need it very often. Don't get overly hung up on cleaning. Keep barrels free from obstructions and keep guns properly lubricated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom