• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I'm still looking at the Sig market. I found a pre-owned certified P220 45 acp 4.4"
    on buds for a real decent price.
    I've been watching youtube on disassembly shooting and comparison of Sigs with HK's etc. also noticed some miltary Sigs have a DAK action.
    I'd much prefer the single/double action. One thing I like for sure is metal frame and slide and still unloaded weight of 32 oz's.
    Feedback please..:)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I bought one from a member here and I absoutely love it. It eats anything I feed it and spits out brass with no stove piping. Mine is a west Germany SA/DA model.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've got the 220 SAO elite and I love it. It was a CPO gun as well. I got mine through summit gun broker. He was getting some awesome sigs for a while. I went with the hogue aluminium grips and that slimmed it up just a bit.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I own two and they are my favorite handguns. They just feel great in my hand and I'm the most accurate with them. I have much better accuracy with single stack vs. double stack guns.

This one sits next to my nightstand.
    i-f28Zvcx-M.jpg

I recently picked up this one to go with my Scorpion collection.
    i-Qz7QHmS-M.jpg

As far as I know Lou45 still carries a P220. I think that is another vote of confidence.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    I have the 226 and 239. Not 45s, but the single stack 239 is very comfortable to hold. I can only imagine the 220 is just as nice. For extra comfort, The Hogue rubber finger grip is a plus. I like the weight of the P series Sigs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a P220 SAO elite, a W.German P220 was my first handgun. They are supremely accurate and comfortable to shoot, nice slim grip, nice all around barrel length and full size frame, moderate weight lighter than a 1911, but heavy enough to soak up recoil. The relatively low grip/high bore axis does induce more muzzle flip and does slow down followup shots, but it helps soften recoil even more, coupled with the grip comfort it's easier to shoot fast, even if it isn't quite as fast in expert hands as some other designs. As far as what trigger to get, some of that depends on your purpose and preference. The pistol actually disassembles fairly easily, many pins and components are held in place by springs or the part that you remove in the prior step, you can just about strip the gun completely with a small punch.

The standard DA/SA with the SRT is excellent, in SA mode it is crisp, a good weight for combat shooting, the short reset speeds up shots, the DA pull is smooth, the downside is the change from DA to SA inherent in the design, but at least the decocker stays out of the way, and negates the need for a manual safety. The DAK trigger is odd, definitely want to shoot one before you buy one. You basically have a light long DAO pull with a shorter heavier pull hidden within it, after a long light pull, there is a short reset(although longer than the SRT in a DA/SA) and a heavier pull from that short reset position, allowing the trigger all the way forward to the 2nd reset point gives the lighter pull weight, kind of opposite from the DA/SA version, it also used the standard grip panels and leaves a big ugly gap where the decocker would be. I do like the SAO, and it fits the P220 better than most other models, nice big ambi-safety that is secure, but easy to operate, and it has it's own SAO grip panels that fit cleanly. The trigger pull isn't as short as a 1911, there is some very light takeup to deactivate the internal safeties, then a short crisp break, feels like a 2 stage, and a reset that is as long as the standard DA/SA, longer than the SRT, you do avoid the dramatic change from DA to SA mode. I would opt for the DA/SA with SRT in just about every case especially in lighter calibers, the SAO is nice, and the longer rest isn't as much of a hinderance in 45 that takes a bit more time to settle from recoil anyway.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Back in the day (80's-90's) the P220 was one of the most accurate .45's straight out of the box, bar none. Something about the dot-on-the-post sights just worked for me. I could shoot against modded-out 1911's in pin matches and be very competitive using handloads with cast bullets made out of used wheel-weights from my repair shop. Incredible accuracy.

Nowadays, the P220 is just 'meh' to me. A lot has changed. They're still OK but they sure ain't what they used to be. There are better pistols out there for a lot less $$$.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I got this one from Shooter's Discount, he has more in stock. Night sights and the laser grips.

5968BEDB-99EA-4BFE-A1FC-5B9EE4501856_zpsuth0akz6.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    I'm a Sig guy. I have a P220 DA/SA. It is probably the most accurate gun that I own. It is very easy to shoot, with little recoil. If you are looking for a .45, I don't think you can go wrong.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    If Lou up at Shooters Discount has some I would go check them out before dealing with Buds. I bought mine (used ) from him along with lots of other stuff. Very fair prices and you'll get a better look at what you're buying.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thank everyone for the great feed back.:thumbsup:
    Will get one soon. I've seen a few on gunbroker...just looking...
    that are made in Germany. Any real difference? Old like new cpo
    made in Germany worth any more money? Curious and learning.
    help please. new to the Sig family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom