• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I know that UZI pistols are banned in MD (I guess that means the Micro UZI). Are the UZI Carbine or Mini UZI legal here in MD? Or are they all unobtainable?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I know the uzi with the extended front barrel is legal in MD. It's basically just an Uzi pistol with a longer barrel. If you were unconcerned about the law, you could simply cut the barrel back down.

Looks like this:

uzi9mm2007.jpg

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I know the uzi with the extended front barrel is legal in MD. It's basically just an Uzi pistol with a longer barrel. If you were unconcerned about the law, you could simply cut the barrel back down.

Slight correction, if you were unconcerned about facing something like ten years in a federal prison you could cut down the barrel (or just easier to buy a short barrel and replaced it) without first getting a tax stamp for a short barrel rifle.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I know that UZI pistols are banned in MD (I guess that means the Micro UZI). Are the UZI Carbine or Mini UZI legal here in MD? Or are they all unobtainable?

The Uzi "assault pistol" is illegal in MD, but I do believe Uzi short barrel rifles, full auto Uzi pistols and Uzi Any Other Weapons are legal if they have the federal tax stamp as an NFA firearm. (full auto Uzis must also be regisered with the state of MD as well for $10 a year).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Thanks for the info. I've been considering getting a 9mm carbine of some sort. I hear that original IMI UZI parts are drying up since the importation of parts kits has been banned.... Also I just saw in the CDNN catalog that large-capacity semi-auto shotguns are no longer being imported?

Ridiculous....

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Novus, could you buy that uzi carbine and then either legally swap out a shorter barrel or have it cut down? Are you saying you submit the weapon for inspection at some govt agency and pay for a tax stamp to legalize it? Can you explain this process and how much it costs? Thanks...

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Also, does anyone have any feedback on the accuracy and reliability of the uzi carbines? I know its range is very limited and it isn't intended to be a target shooter, but as far as 9mm/45 carbines are concerned how does it stack up against similar weapons?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'm thinking I probably know the answer to this, but if I have the Uzi rifle (long barrel), can I legally posses the short barrel as long as it isn't attached to the firearm?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Novus, could you buy that uzi carbine and then either legally swap out a shorter barrel or have it cut down? Are you saying you submit the weapon for inspection at some govt agency and pay for a tax stamp to legalize it? Can you explain this process and how much it costs? Thanks...

As I understand it, you can make a pistol uzi from scratch and you can make a rifle (carbine) Uzi from a pistol, but in order to make a pistol from a rifle you need a tax stamp from the federal Treasury Department which is basically a fee and registration under guise of a tax.
    So in other words, if you had an M1 Garand, then you can make it into a pistol or cut the barrel to under 16 inches and keeep the butt stock on so that you can still fire it from the shoulder making it a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) by paying a fee to the feds and going through a background check providing it is legal to do so in your state.
    You cannot sell the gun you "manufactured" (altered) in it's new form unless you have a special federal fireamrs license, but you are allowed to manufacture your own SBR or AOW (Any Other Weapon) with a $200 tax stamp (probably cheaper to have an FFL.SOT [Special Occupation Tax] holder make an AOW for you and pay a $5 tax instead of a $200 tax)

If you have an FFL/SOT "manufacture" your AOW Uzi. then you do not have to worry about all that getting permission crap, but if you apply for the tax stamp for "manufacturing" the SBR or AOW yourself then I think (not sure) that you submit your intened design to the ATF labratory and then after they say it is ok you go throught the backgound process and get the $200 tax stamp (I think the tax stamp to make an AOW or an SBR on your own is the same fee and only the transfers of AOW are a $5 tax which is why it is may be cheaper to have an FFL/SOT make it for you and then transfer it to you.....he doesn't have to pay the $200 manufacturing tax).

Save yourself a lot of trouble and ask Hal at the Armory in Arnold (Annapolis) about this. I seem to recall something about him having an FFL/SOT a few years ago. He can either help you understand the minutia of NFA procedures and MD law, or he can do it all for you for a fee.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Also, does anyone have any feedback on the accuracy and reliability of the uzi carbines? I know its range is very limited and it isn't intended to be a target shooter, but as far as 9mm/45 carbines are concerned how does it stack up against similar weapons?

Not sure, but longer barrel means faster bullet and usually greater accuracy. I have heard through the grapevine that some people actually use Uzi carbines for hunting smaller game.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm thinking I probably know the answer to this, but if I have the Uzi rifle (long barrel), can I legally posses the short barrel as long as it isn't attached to the firearm?
    Yes and possibly no. There was a Supreme Court case about the Thompson Centerfire pistol/rifle possesion. A man was charged because since the same frame could be used with a combination of parts of a short barrel while keeping the buttstock on it it constituted a SBR under the NFA definition and how the ATF understood it.
    The ATF lost and it is legal to own the parts for an SBR as long as they are not assembled.....HOWEVER! the Thompson case dealt with someone who had the parts for both a complete rifle and a complete Thompson pistol and if you just had the parts for an SBR and a rifle and teh buttstock was not removeable, I do not know enough about law or the case to know if that was addressed.
    On June 8, 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Contender pistol and carbine kit are not a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. §5845(a)(3). This means that a consumer may possess the pistol with its 10" barrel and may use the kit parts to make a rifle with the 21" barrel, as long as the shoulder stock is not assembled onto the receiver at the same time as the 10" barrel.

Justice Souter, joined by Chief Justice Rehnquist and Justice O'Connor, wrote the opinion of the Court. The Court stated the issue to be whether a short-barreled rifle is "made" by the aggregation of finished parts that can be readily assembled.

The government noted that a bicycle is still a bicycle even when unassembled. The Court rejects this analogy, because the Contender items can be assembled three different ways, and are intended to be assembled only two ways.

Justice Souter wrote that "a set of parts that could be used to make nothing but a short-barreled rifle" would, if there is an "aggregation" of such, be a short-barreled rifle. The opinion states that "a combination of parts that could only be assembled into an NFA-regulated firearm" would be such a firearm.[1] Further, a non-NFA gun becomes an NFA firearm if "placed together with a further part or parts that would have no use in association with the gun except to convert it into a firearm." As examples, the court mentions a carbine with a machinegun conversion kit,[2] and a pistol and attachable shoulder stock found in different drawers of the same dresser.

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Like the rest of our multitude of firearms laws - the answer is buried by a bureaucracy. Thanks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Like the rest of our multitude of firearms laws - the answer is buried by a bureaucracy. Thanks.

I remember reading that there are over 30,000 firearms laws and regulations. Top that off with the decades of court precedence, ATF "rulings" and pending cases and future 2nd amendment cases, it amounts to a cluster**** trying to understand even a portion of it.

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    +1 on uzitalk. You will find all the information you need there. From FA to SA and IMI to Norinco's.

Vector Arms and DSA will give some idea on acc. and $$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom