• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodymd

Apr 10, 2015
    Hey guys. So I’m currently working in Texas and had a shooting event for work, I have one of my shotguns down here but thought it be a great excuse to get an O/U. I went to bass pro and they wouldn’t sell it to me because I was from md. They would only sell to certain out of state residents.

I thought it was legal to purchase out of state as long as its not a NFA gun. Am I wrong on this or is Bass pro just covering their butt since md is becoming more like Cali ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    companies just don't want to spend the time to determine what may be legal in another state and don't want to take the risk for getting it wrong. esp with maryland being known for its tight/absurd gun laws, that's the result, and perhaps the calculated & desired result from maryland's governance.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I could be wrong but I've always been under the impression a Md resident can only buy AND take posession of a long gun from one of the adjoining states. Pa, Delaware, Va and W. Va. From any other state it has to transfer through an FFL in Md .

woodymd

Apr 10, 2015
    I could be wrong but I've always been under the impression a Md resident can only buy AND take posession of a long gun from one of the adjoining states. Pa, Delaware, Va and W. Va. From any other state it has to transfer through an FFL in Md .

I have bought in va in the past so maybe that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    LEGALLY- You can be a MD resident and buy an O/U from a TX FFL (not private sale). Corporate policy may differ.
    Buy an O/U from a mom and pop local FFL in TX.

^^^ This, It is covered under the 1968 Gun Control Act

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

In part:
    The interstate purchase of long guns (rifles and shotguns) was not impeded by the Act so long as the seller is federally licensed and such a sale is allowed by both the state of purchase and the state of residence.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

You are 24 years out of date.

GCA 68 limited long gun sales to state of residence and adjoining states.

FOPA 86 removed this restriction.

There was one complication, in that GCA 68 required your home state to enact legislation specifically to allow adjacent state purchase. All did, except DE.

But some states legislation ONLY allowed out of state purchase in adjacent states. So those had be be redone to allow purchase in any state.

AFAIK, MD was not restricted to adjacent state by State law, only Federal law.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    LEGALLY- You can be a MD resident and buy an O/U from a TX FFL (not private sale). Corporate policy may differ.
    Buy an O/U from a mom and pop local FFL in TX.

Some mom and pop stores also will not sell to MD residents.

Gander Mountain used to be OK with MD residents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom