• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am probably oversimplifying this, but my understanding is, you want to crimp semi auto rounds.

My dillon 9mm crimp die, didn't make a round that dropped into my case gauge, or all of my 9mm pistols consistently.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012687515?pid=744135

In the case of the FCD for 9mm, it plunks in a breeze every time.

From my reading, the great debate is to crimp, or not to crimp. What are the benefits to crimping?

Why don’t some reloaders crimp?

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I am probably oversimplifying this, but my understanding is, you want to crimp semi auto rounds.

My dillon 9mm crimp die, didn't make a round that dropped into my case gauge, or all of my 9mm pistols consistently.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012687515?pid=744135

In the case of the FCD for 9mm, it plunks in a breeze every time.

Do the rounds hang up near the mouth or the rim? Sometimes damage on the case rim may cause them to hang up on the rim, but can be cleaned up quickly with a little sandpaper. Carefully inspect all of your cases before loading to minimize this.
    If the round does not fit into the gauge it is likely due to how your sizing die was setup. Try turning it down another turn to insure you size the entire case. Check the case in the gauge after sizing. It should drop in easily before flaring the mouth.
    Crimping will keep the bullet from being pushed into the case as it is chambered which is cheap insurance against an over-pressure situation. It is the last process using a crimp die, or is done when the bullet is seated into a properly sized case.
    I am using Lee dies so they may be a little different, but most I have seen work the same way.
    As you seat the bullet, it will expand the case a little but should never be larger than the gauge.
    If the round binds near the mouth, perhaps you are using the wrong projectiles. They should be .355" in diameter.
    Seen a few pictures of bullets pushed deep into cases over the years. Guess that is why I put a light crimp on every round. Some say that it can help improve accuracy.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have had no issues since changing to the Lee FCD in 9mm. My 45 ACP rounds always worked fine.

Do the rounds hang up near the mouth or the rim? Sometimes damage on the case rim may cause them to hang up on the rim, but can be cleaned up quickly with a little sandpaper. Carefully inspect all of your cases before loading to minimize this.
    If the round does not fit into the gauge it is likely due to how your sizing die was setup. Try turning it down another turn to insure you size the entire case. Check the case in the gauge after sizing. It should drop in easily before flaring the mouth.
    Crimping will keep the bullet from being pushed into the case as it is chambered which is cheap insurance against an over-pressure situation. It is the last process using a crimp die, or is done when the bullet is seated into a properly sized case.
    I am using Lee dies so they may be a little different, but most I have seen work the same way.
    As you seat the bullet, it will expand the case a little but should never be larger than the gauge.
    If the round binds near the mouth, perhaps you are using the wrong projectiles. They should be .355" in diameter.
    Seen a few pictures of bullets pushed deep into cases over the years. Guess that is why I put a light crimp on every round. Some say that it can help improve accuracy.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Obviously the second comment above was meant for the OP, not Pow Pow. :)

That's the way I read it.

Also, one can't just go by which crimp die came with your die set. Some sets can be ordered with taper and/or roll. Then you have the Lee Factory Crimp dies.

The instructions that come with the dies are one of the better written sources for how to apply and adjust crimp.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I really like the Lee factory crimp die for my 9mm. It works a treat. No failed loads.
    And the Lee FCD is a whole other ball of wax and a subject of debate. Personally, I’m a fan. Others argue that it deforms bullets by under sizing them as it forces past the carbide sizing ring. All I know is that it works, and I’ve had zero accuracy issues using it in the reloading I’ve done.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Back before the instant gratification forum days, we read paper reloading manuals that taught all of this crimping stuff. I think The ABC's of Reloading is still in print, as are the Lyman books.
    As the young guys say: "Just sayin'" :innocent0

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Back before the instant gratification forum days, we read paper reloading manuals that taught all of this crimping stuff. I think The ABC's of Reloading is still in print, as are the Lyman books.
    As the young guys say: "Just sayin'" :innocent0

They don't say it. They film it and post to tiktok or instagram. If they're a bit older. they'll tweet it. But, I'm an old guy. What do I know?

About what I do I guess. :lol2:

Just sayin'...

:D

Okay Boomers

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Lee Factory Crimp Die ( in handgun cals ) is a specialized problem solver .

Most of the time , the usual 3 dies will work perfectly well . Sometimes , the dimension stack of certain bullets , in certain cases, in certain chambers , just can't quite get it done . But To Me , it's not an automatic go to . Try the conventional 3 dies first , they'll probably work fine . IF there is an actual problem , then exotic crimp dies are a tool in your quiver . ( And a shout out to the might Redding Profile Crimp die .)

Back when I loaded oddles of .38spl , I had a visual shortcut to load identification ( always using CCI Small Standard as default ) :

Cast RN = 3.2gr WW231 @ 700-ish
    Cast generic machine swc = 4.5gr Unique @ mid 800's

Anything that deviated was carefully marked .

The above bulk std pressure loads were whatever brass, usually mixed range brass . " Interesting" loads were matching once fired brass, that I had fired personally from factory ammo .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom