• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Picked up an almost new Leupold VXII 4-12x50. Its got the adjuster on the front for shots between 25 and 400 yards. Brand new its over 400$ and i picked it up for under half. Now I need to figure out what to put it on. I have a Bushnell Trophy Hunter on my Ruger M77 .243 and a Leapers 6x32 on my AR 15. Should I put the Leupold onmy .243 and hold on to the Bushnell or should put the Leapers on my Mossberg 500 and the Leupold on my AR 15? ANy suggestions. Im probably going to use the AR 15 this year for deer from time to time.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not that it's too much for a nice long range AR-15, but IMHO, in your situation you'll get the most out of it's potential on the .243.

FWIW, the front parallax adjustment cannot be trusted to correspond to the exact range at all times. To properly adjust the parallax, you'll have to set it "close" and slightly move your head to see if the parallax is gone (reticle image stays anchored on the target image). If the reticle moves at all, you'll need to slightly adjust the objective until is doesn't. Once it's set, the numbers may or may not align with the known distance.

The reason that the graduations cannot be trusted is that they change the focal length of the image to correspond with the image of your reticle. When everything is adjusted correctly, the reticle is sharp to your eye, and the image is on the same focal plane (0 parallax). Due to the relatively large coefficient of expansion of aluminum, the length of the tube changes noticeably with temperature, and the parallax setting will have to be adjusted to be correct at the new length.

Many scope makers don't even bother to mark the distances anymore. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom