• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Post up tricks, techniques, success and failure about indoor growing.

Sprouting interests me from a emergency quick grow position but I’m not sure how much you can actually harvest. Most things I read say it is a supplement only.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Depends on the size of your hothouse as to whether it will be supplemental or vital really.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have a greenhouse and tried to grow tomatoes and peppers during Fall/Winter . Tomatoes were small along with the peppers. Not to mention the heating bill the return was not worth the effort.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Depends on the size of your hothouse as to whether it will be supplemental or vital really.

I'm thinking more of countertop type stuff and maybe some racks squirreled away in the basement with a grow light.

Aren't some of the sprouts are super-foods? Is it worth the effort?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have sprouted broccoli often in mason jars with a screen lid insert. Very easy. Yield was a little erratic. I found rinsing three times a day and slowly draining so the seeds stay spread out the best so it’s not one huge clump.

On avg it was two days in dark cabinet and one or two days in sun depending on how green you want or leaf.

They are tasty! Nice peppery flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I have a couple of these. Each has 28 pods, and it's own water pump and lights with a timer. The lights are LED and use very little power.

Self sustaining and fast growing. I clean it and put new little baby plants every 6 months or so. There's lots of different things you can grow and there are no pesticides or bugs, etc... I have one in my kitchen for salads and herbs. Pic is of the plants after recent replacement so they are still lil' babies. The water in the tank has minerals and other "fertilizers" to help with nutrition of the plants, and there's a sensor that tells you when to add more water - usually mebbe every 2 weeks or so. It's remarkably low maintenance and produces a lot of food for such a small space.

I eat a lot of greens and try to avoid processed foods, etc.. I've used other methods including mason jars for sprouts and also broccoli, etc... it works but it's much higher maintenance.

Attachments

• tower.JPG
      tower.JPG
      46.5 KB · Views: 197

bonehead

Jul 2, 2012
    I have always got sprouts growing. They are excellent sources of certain vitamins and are a concentrated source. Check out the Sproutamo sprouter and sproutpeople.org for a seed source.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    ****I have a couple of these. Each has 28 pods, and it's own water pump and lights with a timer. The lights are LED and use very little power.

Self sustaining and fast growing. I clean it and put new little baby plants every 6 months or so. There's lots of different things you can grow and there are no pesticides or bugs, etc... I have one in my kitchen for salads and herbs. Pic is of the plants after recent replacement so they are still lil' babies. The water in the tank has minerals and other "fertilizers" to help with nutrition of the plants, and there's a sensor that tells you when to add more water - usually mebbe every 2 weeks or so. It's remarkably low maintenance and produces a lot of food for such a small space.

I eat a lot of greens and try to avoid processed foods, etc.. I've used other methods including mason jars for sprouts and also broccoli, etc... it works but it's much higher maintenance.
    That thing ain't cheap!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have always got sprouts growing. They are excellent sources of certain vitamins and are a concentrated source. Check out the Sproutamo sprouter and sproutpeople.org for a seed source.

There's no such thing as a sprouting plant that is self perpetuating right? Because you are only growing sprouts they never mature enough to bear seeds?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's no such thing as a sprouting plant that is self perpetuating right? Because you are only growing sprouts they never mature enough to bear seeds?
    Any plant capable of growing from a scion could be considered perpetual, right? What about root stock?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Can you post a link to this? What options do you have to grow in the pods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom