• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Wolf will sign it and then try and pretend he is pro-gun. He will take your gun right in a heartbeat. He is on the Bloomberg train trying to restrict reciprocity. He should be voted out no matter what... right after he signs this bill of course.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    About friggin time!

1969, following a paid vacation to S.E. Asia, I took a friend deer hunting in my hometown in Western PA. He hunted with a REM 1100 and while posting, he started to read the Hunting Digest and discovered that he was illegal. When we met for lunch, he showed me the law and it blew my mind. Told him not to worry, we are so remote and would never see a warden.

Dang, all those years.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Welp!

You wouldn't be hunting Bambi.

Pistol hunting is illegal in Baltimore County too.

They slap hate handguns in this state.

So out of curiosity, I looked it up, because I have hunted in Baltimore County, and all I could find in the muni code that discharge of a weapon (crossbow, air rifle, gun...) etc. in the metropolitan district is illegal (except for shotgun, no heavier than #2 shot).

17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.
    (a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:
    (1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;
    (2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or
    (3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.
    (b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.
    (c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:
    (1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or
    (2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:
    (i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;
    (ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property;
    (iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer; or
    (iv) As part of a deer cooperator program under the authority granted to the Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the county, to reduce the wildlife population of protected wildlife determined to be overpopulated.

What is the metro district of Baltimore County? I know how it's defined in HoCo. In Balt county, all I could find is that it seem to be related to public water and sewer. Surely handgun hunting is permitted way up near PA in the rural part of Balt Co.

I cannot find anything about other hunt regs except this one.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So out of curiosity, I looked it up, because I have hunted in Baltimore County, and all I could find in the muni code that discharge of a weapon (crossbow, air rifle, gun...) etc. in the metropolitan district is illegal (except for shotgun, no heavier than #2 shot).

What is the metro district of Baltimore County? I know how it's defined in HoCo. In Balt county, all I could find is that it seem to be related to public water and sewer. Surely handgun hunting is permitted way up near PA in the rural part of Balt Co.

I cannot find anything about other hunt regs except this one.

I hunt in the Herefordish Zone.

A pistol, sans black powder, is an illegal hunting instrument. Shotguns only.

We can shoot a 300 grain 20ga shotgun slug at 1,500 FPS. But we can't shoot a 240 grain .45 Long Colt pistol bullet at 1,300 FPS. The hunting regulation makeruppers have a severe case of cranial rectal insertion.

And I think the non hunting part of Baltimore County is south of Shawan Road. Mays Chapel. McCormack Spice. Something Ridge. Etc.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    It's worse in PA. Our game laws and restrictions make very little sense to the common man. At least we can use any centerfire cartridge!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's worse in PA. Our game laws and restrictions make very little sense to the common man. At least we can use any centerfire cartridge!

A friend takes his young daughters hunting with him, he only has large bolt actions and shotguns, can't use his AR or SKS. I end up loaning them a couple smaller rifles, they have taken a couple deer with my 357mag 1892 knockoff, and 223 varmint rifle. They can shoot ARs better than most anything though, because of the ergonomics and light recoil. This law was pushed hard by the NRA, it makes hunting more accessible to more people, and normalizes modern rifle designs, so it's definitely a good thing.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    A friend takes his young daughters hunting with him, he only has large bolt actions and shotguns, can't use his AR or SKS. I end up loaning them a couple smaller rifles, they have taken a couple deer with my 357mag 1892 knockoff, and 223 varmint rifle. They can shoot ARs better than most anything though, because of the ergonomics and light recoil. This law was pushed hard by the NRA, it makes hunting more accessible to more people, and normalizes modern rifle designs, so it's definitely a good thing.
    I agree that it's a good change. My bill support emails basically said "time to bring PA into the 20th century".

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Many years ago, I was tossing between a Remington 742 Semi-Auto and a 760 Pump. PA Semi-auto ban was one of the reasons I went with the 760. A few years later we went hunting in VA and our host was shooting a 742. I brought out my 760 and started taking heat almost immediately about my "pump" gun. Made a little wager that I could shoot faster accurately, than he could. Timing was about even (he was slightly faster), but my grouping was much tighter. The simple action of pushing the forearm forward to chamber the next round, counters the muzzle jump and naturally pulls you right back on target. They were both scoped 30.06's BTW. Even though I wouldn't trade my 760 for a 742.......I agree it's about time to kill the ban on semi-autos.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    About friggin time!

1969, following a paid vacation to S.E. Asia, I took a friend deer hunting in my hometown in Western PA. He hunted with a REM 1100 and while posting, he started to read the Hunting Digest and discovered that he was illegal. When we met for lunch, he showed me the law and it blew my mind. Told him not to worry, we are so remote and would never see a warden.

Dang, all those years.

Where in Western PA were you?

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Many years ago, I was tossing between a Remington 742 Semi-Auto and a 760 Pump. PA Semi-auto ban was one of the reasons I went with the 760. A few years later we went hunting in VA and our host was shooting a 742. I brought out my 760 and started taking heat almost immediately about my "pump" gun. Made a little wager that I could shoot faster accurately, than he could. Timing was about even (he was slightly faster), but my grouping was much tighter. The simple action of pushing the forearm forward to chamber the next round, counters the muzzle jump and naturally pulls you right back on target. They were both scoped 30.06's BTW. Even though I wouldn't trade my 760 for a 742.......I agree it's about time to kill the ban on semi-autos.

I have a Savage 100B in 35 Remington, my pump skills are pretty good as I hunt upland game with my 870 as well.

The few places that a semi auto would help you is with hunting squirrels with a 22lr. they move so much that having a quick follow up shot is wonderful. Or with Varmints like groundhogs that would help you get back on target faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom