• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I've read "the chart" and it made it sound like the Mid length is hands down better. Yet I see the M4 in 16" still seems very popular w people. I'd like to know the advantages if any of the M4 over a mid length?

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    The M4-geries (M-Forgery, non mil-spec M4's) and Mid-Lengths both use a 16" barrel. The only difference between the two is that the M4-gery uses a carbine length gas system and the mid-length uses a mid-length gas system.

There have been endless debates whether the mid-length is actually better or more reliable. The key points being:

1. middies run slightly cooler.
    2. middies run slightly cleaner.

Both being from the fact that the mid-length gas system is longer. However there are litterally hundreds of thousands of AR's running the carbine gas system with no issues.

You'd be well set with either the carbine or mid-length gas system. Unless you plan to run full auto, run a few thousand rounds between cleaning, or any other stress test you will probably never seen any benefit of the mid-length over the carbine... well besides a little extra sight radius for the iron sights.

Additionally, the actual M4 uses a 14.5" barrel which has it's pros and cons, but that's a different debate.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The M4-geries (M-Forgery, non mil-spec M4's) and Mid-Lengths both use a 16" barrel. The only difference between the two is that the M4-gery uses a carbine length gas system and the mid-length uses a mid-length gas system.

There have been endless debates whether the mid-length is actually better or more reliable. The key points being:

1. middies run slightly cooler.
    2. middies run slightly cleaner.

Both being from the fact that the mid-length gas system is longer. However there are litterally hundreds of thousands of AR's running the carbine gas system with no issues.

You'd be well set with either the carbine or mid-length gas system. Unless you plan to run full auto, run a few thousand rounds between cleaning, or any other stress test you will probably never seen any benefit of the mid-length over the carbine... well besides a little extra sight radius for the iron sights.

Additionally, the actual M4 uses a 14.5" barrel which has it's pros and cons, but that's a different debate.

most of the mid length ARs I have seen have a small gas block under the guards to keep proper timing with a production 16" barrel instead of tuning the port, and the front sight does not have the gas port, outside of increased sight radius, and longer handguards I have not seen much of a difference in how they operate, although there is less exposed barrel to get burned on, and the front sight block doesn't get as hot being there is no gas going through it.

disstrck.jpg

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    One of my carbines is a mid-length. I have long arms and I like it because it doesn't force my support hand back as far and I can assume a more natural shooting position.

Check on the gas block location of the specific upper you're looking at before assuming it's a mid-length gas system. As with Alucard0822's pic, some mid-length handguard styles actually use 16" gas parts.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    most of the mid length ARs I have seen have a small gas block under the guards to keep proper timing, and the front sight does not have the gas port, outside of increased sight radius, and longer handguards I have not seen much of a difference in how they operate, although there is less exposed barrel to get burned on, and the front sight block doesn't get as hot being there is no gas going through it.

disstrck.jpg

That looks like a Bushmaster Dissipator to me. My Dissy (Bushmaster) is set up the same way: Rifle length handgaurds, Rifle sight radius, Carbine gas system.

Most actual Mid-Lengths have a mid-length gas system, at least the ones I know of. Of course it's best to double check the specs before buying.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Thanks for the help. I'm building an one soon it will be my first and I want to get it right.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I have a Sabre Middy upper. Let's just say that "retro" builds and SBR's aside, I will no longer buy carbine length systems

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a Sabre Middy upper. Let's just say that "retro" builds and SBR's aside, I will no longer buy carbine length systems

What problems were you having?

I haven't had any problems to speak of in most any of the builds, my last 14.5" M4gery has run great since I put it together. I had a 20" A2 build though where the barrel had an undersized gas port, I drilled it to specs and it has run fine since.

There is a lot of knowledgeable folks here that can get those carbines up and running for you if you still have them, and they are having problems

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County

I am also intrigued as to what issues you are seeing. I have been running one carbine length M4-gery for a while now (~5k rounds) and haven't had a single issue outside of a bad lot of Wolf (random FTE). My Dissy has been up and running for about a month and it's already got 500 rounds without a single issue.

What problems are you having?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I never meant to imply I was having problems with the carbine system. It's just that I feel for a 16" carbine, the middy system is a "better mousetrap". To me, it seems to be much smoother.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I never meant to imply I was having problems with the carbine system. It's just that I feel for a 16" carbine, the middy system is a "better mousetrap". To me, it seems to be much smoother.

I think it boils down to personal preference. Again, unless one is planning on doing some serious torture to their rifle the two systems are nearly indistinguishable. There is slightly less "sproing" in the recoil spring with the mid-length and rifle systems versus the carbine.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Well I pulled the trigger on a Mid-Length. This Friday I pick up my lower from GC. Thanks for everyone's input.

IMG_0766-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom