DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I very recently bought the AK-74 gen 2 variant of this - my first '74, in fact. It's still at Engage waiting for the state to "not disapprove" me. I thought the finish and fit was really quite good, albeit I didn't do a detail strip to check the internals. The newer flash hider is way nicer looking than the Razr they used to use on it. Of course, the real proof will be how it actually shoots, but I'm feeling good. Certainly, I think it was worth the extra $75 or so I paid over a WASR.

I would think about going with an M10 if you were interested in running a tactical-style AK (and I mean that in a non-pejorative sense). I'm planning on putting a Beryl stock and a MI AK-SS w/ FF top on it. It's also a fairly good candidate for SBR'ing, since it has the Draco gas block on it. Unsure if I'm going to bother with that (how many intermediate caliber SBRs do I need?), but it's nice to have the option.

I'd suggest you make your decision soon about whatever AK you want; as we get closer to the election, prices are going to keep creeping upwards. If it follows the trend of last time, it'll be Q2 of 2013 before prices start falling back down.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    We just got in a shipment of the Interarms Polish Tantal AK74 rifles with chrome lined barrels .

TANTAL2.jpg

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    So I brought home the AMD-65 this week.I haven't yet had time to get it to the range, should get a chance next Sunday. MI handguards with a strikefire reddot,it's kind of heavy up front...thinking of switching to a t1. I want to replace the break... I have one from amd65tech on order, any idea who could do the work?

60f4cbf1-21f5-1328.jpg

60f4cbf1-2201-6df7.jpg

Last edited:

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    So I brought home the AMD-65 this week.I haven't yet had time to get it to the range, should get a chance next Sunday. MI handguards with a strikefire reddot,it's kind of heavy up front...thinking of switching to a t1. I want to replace the break... I have one from amd65tech on order, any idea who could do the work?

60f4cbf1-21f5-1328.jpg

60f4cbf1-2201-6df7.jpg

Be careful replacing the muzzle brake. The one used on your rifle is keeping the barrel at the legal 16" length. If you replace it with a different brake, you may be in SBR territory.

You can change the brake out, but again, you may need to do SBR paperwork before you can do that. A good shop/smith should be able to help you out.

Scott's Gunsmithing has a good reputation for doing good AK work.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Be careful replacing the muzzle brake. The one used on your rifle is keeping the barrel at the legal 16" length. If you replace it with a different brake, you may be in SBR territory.

You can change the brake out, but again, you may need to do SBR paperwork before you can do that. A good shop/smith should be able to help you out.

Scott's Gunsmithing has a good reputation for doing good AK work.

The break I ordered is specifically made for the AMD-65 and will keep it legal. Thanks for the suggestion of Scott's Gunsmithing I see they are an IP and are active posters on the board I might try a pm. I can't wait to shoot it, I should be at AGC this Sunday.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    There is a Polytechn legend sitting on gb for that.

Yea but the legend is more of a safe queen, something you invest in really rather than shoot.

The arsenal is more of a shooter, costs less, and has a modern Bulgarian milspec hot-die forged receiver that is much stronger and durable than the 50's-60's technology receiver on the Legend.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I say the arsenal...their reputation is well earned and they do some damn good work. That being said i would take a sgl over the slr, but thats just because i like the russian stuff, either is just as good. The bulgarians are on par with the russians in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom