• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I'm going to do some hunting on my father in law's property in Dundee NY over the Thanksgiving Holiday for White Tail.

So I bought some ammo for my Marlin 336 CR.

fa7b2314.jpg

The left is Hornady 200 grain LeveRevolution ammo.
    The center is Express Core-Lokt 150 grain.
    The right is 200 grain Winchester PowerPoint SP.

66b4edea.jpg

Is the blunt nosed 200 grain bullet the same weight as the pointy nosed 200 grain bullet. Sure looks smaller to me???

camotruck

Oct 22, 2011
    Western MD
    Yep, the 200gr round nose is the same weight as the 200gr pionted bullet, but they will fly differently. That red tipped bullet should shoot flatter than the round nose and is made for the tube mag in your 336. That core lock PSP is (I think) not made to shoot in your rifle because of the point to primer contact in the tubular mag. :sad20: I wouldn't load the mag with it. I would shoot them as a single shot and reload them. Don't reload thats ok send them to me I'll take good care of them. :)

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I didn't know that area of NY state was Rifle country (just south of Penn Yan?). I grew up about 50 mile nort of there. At any rate, I have a Marlin 336 regular carbine ("RC") in .35 Rem myself, and mine is a 1959 version with a Microgroove barrel. I tried the 200 grain LeverRevolution bullets and had trouble with them cycling properly. I think it's because mine is older, and as the ammo box says, I might have to put one of those new magazine followers on it for proper functioning. If your's functions well with the Leverevolution ammo, use that and take advantage of the better ballistics. Otherwise I'd use the Winchester round nose ammo like Camotruck says.

Hope you bag a nice deer up there. That .35 rem will definitely put a whoopin' on a white-tail.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Yep, the 200gr round nose is the same weight as the 200gr pionted bullet, but they will fly differently. That red tipped bullet should shoot flatter than the round nose and is made for the tube mag in your 336. That core lock PSP is (I think) not made to shoot in your rifle because of the point to primer contact in the tubular mag. :sad20: I wouldn't load the mag with it. I would shoot them as a single shot and reload them. Don't reload thats ok send them to me I'll take good care of them. :)

camotruck is right - if that gun is a tube magazine fed - DO NOT use pointed bullets (the middle one is a no!). You can start a dangerous chain fire.

The leverevelutions I believe are soft tipped point -which is OK to use. They designed that bullet for tube feds in mind.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I didn't know that area of NY state was Rifle country (just south of Penn Yan?). I grew up about 50 mile nort of there. At any rate, I have a Marlin 336 regular carbine ("RC") in .35 Rem myself, and mine is a 1959 version with a Microgroove barrel. I tried the 200 grain LeverRevolution bullets and had trouble with them cycling properly. I think it's because mine is older, and as the ammo box says, I might have to put one of those new magazine followers on it for proper functioning. If your's functions well with the Leverevolution ammo, use that and take advantage of the better ballistics. Otherwise I'd use the Winchester round nose ammo like Camotruck says.

Hope you bag a nice deer up there. That .35 rem will definitely put a whoopin' on a white-tail.

He lives in Yates County which allows Rifle hunting for deer. As you noted just up the road is no rifle hunting.

If I get one you'll hear about it!!! I think he may have promised some neighbors they could hunt his land so we'll see if it happens.

legalimpbiggm.jpg

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    He lives in Yates County which allows Rifle hunting for deer. As you noted just up the road is no rifle hunting.

If I get one you'll hear about it!!! I think he may have promised some neighbors they could hunt his land so we'll see if it happens.

legalimpbiggm.jpg

Wow, that is great. I am from Wayne county, so as can be seen from your map, no rifles up there (I guess it's just too flat). I am surprised that the whole southern-tier is rifle. New York state produces some big deer. That Finger Lakes region is absolutely beatiful. I only wish I would have appreciated it more when I lived there. Best of luck to you!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Wow, that is great. I am from Wayne county, so as can be seen from your map, no rifles up there (I guess it's just too flat). I am surprised that the whole southern-tier is rifle. New York state produces some big deer. That Finger Lakes region is absolutely beatiful. I only wish I would have appreciated it more when I lived there. Best of luck to you!

I'm from Erie county and I just wished I had bought the lifetime license before I moved. Oh well, live and learn.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    ...At any rate, I have a Marlin 336 regular carbine ("RC") in .35 Rem myself, and mine is a 1959 version with a Microgroove barrel.

I think my rifle is also a c1959 336RC same as yours. It has Micro-Groove engraved on the barrel.

I got to take a few pictures and post them here.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Here's my 1958 rifle..not pretty, but quite functional and accurate.

910ca33d.jpg

8827a78f.jpg

420792f0.jpg

14674320.jpg

cfed3b7c.jpg

e2392e15.jpg

If you want to verify the year of manufacture by the serial number you may use the following guide.

Marlin year of manufacture maybe determined from the following table of letter/numeral prefixs to the serial number:

Date Prefix(s) 1946 C 1947 D 1948 E 1949 F 1950 G 1951 H 1952 J 1953 K 1954 L 1955 M Date Prefix(s) 1956 N 1957 P 1958 R 1959 S 1960 T 1961 U 1962 V 1963 W 1964 Y, Z 1965 AA Date Prefix(s) 1966 AB 1967 AC 1968 AD, 68 1969 69 1970 70 1971 71 1972 72

Starting in 1973, the year of manufacture can be determined by subtracting the first two digits of the serial number from 100: Example: Serial number 25136879 would have been built in 1975 (100-25=75 or 1975). Information is from Marlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom