• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like the radius f the primer cup took a hit to flame cutting. Thats the part of the primer that is work hardened from being formed into a cup so it could be a tad harder than the rest of the primer material. The flat face of it needs to be soft enough not become pierced but strong enough to control a certain amount of pressure.
    Size of the flash hole could have something to do with it as well as the brand/lot of the primer and then how the sheet of primer cup material was pressed out to make them. Looks like the flame cutting came from inside the primer cup and not from around it so the skirt apparently did its job.
    I bet the bolt face has become pitted. That sucks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the primer has a pretty powerful jet of flame, a little media blockage is going to just get vaporized or blown out of the way. Either the primer pockets are out of spec or they got some genuinely defective primers (which I rate as unlikely). Some reloaders reuse their cases WAY longer than they should.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just a follow up, he contacted federal and the lot of primers was 12 years old. Federal said that after 10 years, the unfired primer material can start to eat through the cup.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Just a follow up, he contacted federal and the lot of primers was 12 years old. Federal said that after 10 years, the unfired primer material can start to eat through the cup.

Really? Then their commercial ammunition has a very short shelf life.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, then why are people not having problems with 60s military ammo? And even older commercial ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just saying, I also hang out on CMP forums, and people there are shooting some VERY old ammo.

And I have NEVER heard of a primer blowout like this.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just saying, I also hang out on CMP forums, and people there are shooting some VERY old ammo.

And I have NEVER heard of a primer blowout like this.

Just because YOU'VE never experienced/heard of it, doesn't mean it didn't happen or likely the cause. This particular gentlemen shoots VERY often and knowledgeable. He is a high master in both long/mid range fclass and usually places in the top 3 at regionals etc. So I will take him at his word over someone on the internet.

Ken Livengood is another shooter there and can vouch. Google Ken's name, accomplished shooter and gunsmith.

Feel free to contact Federal and ask them about their large match primers and the cups.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Speed, I've seen that before when pushing a 80 grain smk at 2830 out of a 20" barrel. It happens at high pressures. Not saying over pressure but top end for sure. I dont think its media in the flash hole. Primer pocket got loose, gas came out.

Unrelated....I've trash lapua brass in 3 shots. Wont hold a primer, but man did it shoot good. Lol

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Speed, I've seen that before when pushing a 80 grain smk at 2830 out of a 20" barrel. It happens at high pressures. Not saying over pressure but top end for sure. I dont think its media in the flash hole. Primer pocket got loose, gas came out.

Unrelated....I've trash lapua brass in 3 shots. Wont hold a primer, but man did it shoot good. Lol

At first that was the assumption, but later found out it wasn't.

Sidenote, got the 6BR at dasher speeds...going to test at the palma shoot this weekend in PA, you coming?

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    There have been cases of Winchester large rifle primers piercing and blowing at the side of the primer near the radius. Winchester had a recall on them. Call Winchester 1-618-258-2738 Sharon.
    Here are the affected lot numbers reported by users.
    LOTS REPORTED BY USERS ONLINE:

CAL401G
    CFL486G
    CLL555G
    DAL594G
    DFL717G
    DHL766G
    DNL 837G
    DNL836G
    EAL234G
    GDL 225G
    GEL 250G
    DML834G WLR
    EAL234G WLRM
    CLL555G
    CCL435G
    EHL067G
    DHL774G
    DHL788G
    DAL594G
    CAL401G
    GDL255G
    GFL284G
    DGL741G
    FEL255G
    DGL731G
    DKL801G
    HLL692G
    DHL765G
    DFL713G
    DLL826G
    DFL723G
    DEL690G
    CLL552G
    DGL747G

LOTS IN MY POSSESSION RECALLED BY WINCHESTER:

CGL499G
    HKL687G

Sharon got back to me this morning. She wants the following lots back:

HBL
    HFL
    DHL
    HCL
    HAL

Just off the phone with Sharon. They want all mine back - here are the Lot Numbers:

WLRM:
    DFL188G

WLR:
    DEL702G
    DFL719G
    GEL258G
    DFL722 G
    I reported the 5 lot numbers I have on hand and Sharon called today wanting all of them back.
    BDL
    DHL
    CFL
    EFL
    DFL

Found this on another site. I personally have never used Winchester primers

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    At first that was the assumption, but later found out it wasn't.

Sidenote, got the 6BR at dasher speeds...going to test at the palma shoot this weekend in PA, you coming?

Was going to, emailed Tom a month ago I would. But the 6.5 shooting 150 grain SMK blew 2 bullets mid flight out of 25. Of course, I've loaded 300 of them. If I can get something figured out I might make it. Otherwise, I'll just enjoy my camping trip at the nearby state park.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    There have been cases of Winchester large rifle primers piercing and blowing at the side of the primer near the radius. Winchester had a recall on them. Call Winchester 1-618-258-2738 Sharon.
    Here are the affected lot numbers reported by users.
    LOTS REPORTED BY USERS ONLINE:

CAL401G
    CFL486G
    CLL555G
    DAL594G
    DFL717G
    DHL766G
    DNL 837G
    DNL836G
    EAL234G
    GDL 225G
    GEL 250G
    DML834G WLR
    EAL234G WLRM
    CLL555G
    CCL435G
    EHL067G
    DHL774G
    DHL788G
    DAL594G
    CAL401G
    GDL255G
    GFL284G
    DGL741G
    FEL255G
    DGL731G
    DKL801G
    HLL692G
    DHL765G
    DFL713G
    DLL826G
    DFL723G
    DEL690G
    CLL552G
    DGL747G

LOTS IN MY POSSESSION RECALLED BY WINCHESTER:

CGL499G
    HKL687G

Sharon got back to me this morning. She wants the following lots back:

HBL
    HFL
    DHL
    HCL
    HAL

Just off the phone with Sharon. They want all mine back - here are the Lot Numbers:

WLRM:
    DFL188G

WLR:
    DEL702G
    DFL719G
    GEL258G
    DFL722 G
    I reported the 5 lot numbers I have on hand and Sharon called today wanting all of them back.
    BDL
    DHL
    CFL
    EFL
    DFL

Found this on another site. I personally have never used Winchester primers

Seabee, thank you for posting this!

To add onto Seabee's mention on RIFLE primers, I have seen mention of several lots of large PISTOL primers, as possibly being suspect also. Sounds like we need to be checking what we might have on hand.

https://www.handloadersbench.com/fo...ets-and-brass/819811-winchester-primer-recall

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Wait, I thought the issue was with Federal Primers (old) blowing out, now it's Winchester. It is the same issue being branded by diff mfg, or diff issues that just happen to have the same behavior?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    When a primer blows out in the skirt area, it’s USUALLY a bad primer. I’ve had two bad batches of primers over the decades: Federal match in the 80’s and more recently Winchester when they changed from chrome plated to brass. All loads were known safe loads. All blew out the skirt area. I recommend your friend pull down all the loads made with these primers. Notify the manufacturer if the lot numbers of the primers are known.

Good luck

Jerry

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Wait, I thought the issue was with Federal Primers (old) blowing out, now it's Winchester. It is the same issue being branded by diff mfg, or diff issues that just happen to have the same behavior?

That's a great question! I don't have an answer, but I will say that if you look at the primers pictured in posts 11 and 18, they are different colors, and likely different manufacturers. One primer pictured is nickel plated. The other primer pictured is not....it is brass only.

Brass only primers (in recent years at least) could very well be Winchester. Nickel plated could indeed be Federal, but nickel appearance is also possibly other manufacturers as well.

Maybe the poster of #11 and #18 (paging Speed) can lend additional info regarding the primer brands used that show in the pictures.

I have myself made contact with Winchester. If I think their reply to my specific lot related questions could be helpful to others here, I will post the info I receive for the benefit of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom