MSP Licensing takes too long to generate two-factor email?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I had an issue this morning, trying to log in. Sent an email to the firearm purchase section and was back up by noon. Everything seems to be working now. They must have figured out the bug.
    I received a bunch of 2FA emails at noonish today, from requests I tried yesterday, to the “old” account.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Did a search but am probably using the wrong terms. I'm trying to do a 77R, done plenty before, but for whatever reason the "Account Access Activation" email doesn't get to my email until it's too late. Been trying for two days now.

The email provider registered with MSP is Yahoo! if that matters. Other emails get to me just fine. It's not an issue of them going to Spam/Junk; it just doesn't get to my mailbox in time. 30 minutes to 9 hours delay.

I can't register another email, because MSP only allows one per Driver License.

Anyone else having this issue recently?

Ideas?

Yahoo is owned by Verizon.

No problems with MSP and my yahoo.com email.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Yahoo is owned by Verizon.

No problems with MSP and my yahoo.com email.
    Verizon isn’t my ISP. Same issue on my AT&T phone.

When’s the last time you did a 77R with your yahoo account? I’d never had an issue until Monday with the yahoo account. Switched to gmail, we’ll see if a year from now it’s the opposite!

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

When’s the last time you did a 77R with your yahoo account? I’d never had an issue until Monday with the yahoo account. Switched to gmail, we’ll see if a year from now it’s the opposite!

March 6th I got my not disapproved.

On Friday, March 6, 2020, 06:00:27 AM EST, <msp.licensing@maryland.gov> wrote:

Dear [TheBert],

Congratulations. Your application, [application number], to purchase a regulated firearm from UNITED GUN SHOP has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

When you return to your selected firearm dealer to pick up your item, you will need the application PIN in order to complete the weapon transfer. The PIN for application [application number] is: [pin].

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 410-653-4500.

Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division
    410-653-4500

** This message has been sent from an un-monitored mail account. Replies sent back to the msp.licensing address are not reviewed by the Maryland State Police nor will they receive a response from the department. Please contact Licensing Division at 410.653.4500 with questions or concerns. Thank you. **

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    AOL and Yahoo are notorious for slow emails. It stems from nearly 3 decades ago when they got smacked by .gov and courts over not doing anything about spam mail. They went hard in the opposite direction and now everything is slow incoming to both.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Until a few months ago, Gmail often had problems with delayed email. Not nearly as severe are recent issues, but significant none the less. A message was out over the weekend regarding MSP maintenance. If I had to make a bet, I would guess they rolled out changes at least one of which was intended to fix the previous intermittent Gmail issues which then didn't play well with the other email providers. The whole system isn't well written anyway. It is IT people trying to do their normal IT procedures and not really all that friendly to many who are not computer savvy. One of the most irritating things is the whole idea that a password on a system that many may only use once every couple years expires after 45 days and then doesn't usually tell you your password is expired. So you may well try your max tried (5 times IIRC) which can lock you out for a period of time. Meanwhile, you cannot reuse the same password until you have used 10 different passwords at which point you can begin to reuse an old password. Again, no message your password has expired when you login, and no notice anywhere I can see that you cannot reuse a password until you try to reset it with 'Forgot Password' function and it gives you an error. Yes, I know with security breaches that occur all over the web, this is someone's version of "best practices". However it is a cluster f*ck for many who can't figure out just what is going on maybe because they are not big on IT in general and maybe because they don't use this system often. For a system that sees much less use than every 45 days for the typical user, it seems like after expiration, you would simply be prompted to created a new password on the next time you try to log in....or at least tell you you are expired and automatically send an email password reset to your email with a message informing the user what is going on instead of no message and you try 5 times and get locked out. And, by the way, MDSP has no way to unlock you and just suggests you wait (20 minutes) then reset your password. I was a mid level IT manager (Tech Svcs, not Applications Development....although I had 5 years applications experience before moving over. I did still occasionally get involved in technical apps). If one of my employees had come up with this crap, I would have pushed them to fix it inmediately. And there are other issues. It was written for MS....IE or Edge presumably...and it has problems in occasion playing well with Chrome and/ or Safari. The whole thing is unbelievable to me.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It was written for MS....IE or Edge presumably...and it has problems in occasion playing well with Chrome and/ or Safari. The whole thing is unbelievable to me.

And Edge isn't Edge, anymore. IIRC it's now using the Chrome code base, so the only browsers the site may work reliably with are deprecated, legacy code.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    And Edge isn't Edge, anymore. IIRC it's now using the Chrome code base, so the only browsers the site may work reliably with are deprecated, legacy code.

Edge Chromium is a pretty good browser. I’ve been using it for two months and the only issue I am having is SSO problems from a couple of our AD domains.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Edge Chromium is a pretty good browser. I’ve been using it for two months and the only issue I am having is SSO problems from a couple of our AD domains.

The problem isn't that a browser is or isn't good. The problem is that the system was written to specs based in IE (as per the MDSP training class I attended in late 2016 to train on the new online system due to be released Jan 1 of 2017. And I am fairly sure there are still occasional issues. I just had a customer told by MDSP to not do his password reset on his Android phone because sometimes there are issues. That was just a month or two back. FWIW, that particular issue was actually (at least apparently) an email issue and not one involving using his phone browser (chrome) to reset his password. That's not the first advice given to avoid using Chrome or Safari with the 77R app. It does, however, work most of the time on mobile devices. I would guess the just fix one issue after the other with it as they arise. That can still be a problem when an update is pushed out to your phone for your browser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom