• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turbofire383

I like to burn things
    Apr 12, 2008
    Harford County
    I’ve been wanting one of these for a long time now. I haven’t bought a new gun in a few years. Recently the PTR 9CT or the 9KT has caught my eye. Are these things legal to buy in MD? Also if they are, do I need to get an HQL?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Yes any pistol requires and HQL except if you hold a C&R, and the pistol is C&R eligible or it is black powder pistol. Those are the only two exceptions I am aware of. Check the MSP Handgun roster to make sure the specific model you are interested is listed. If not you should talk to a dealer about submitting a sample.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    HQL required.

Atlantic firearms has a number of nice choices, and they ship fast.

Only advice: check with your local FFL first. So they know its coming and have had a chance to find it on the roster.

These are a lot of fun, you will be buying ammo by the pallet.

Also, they tend to sell out fast when they are in stock.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I have the ptr 9ct and it is my favorite gun. Soft shooting track driver. Honestly love the thing.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm still waiting on some official guidance on the PTR 9KT. I dont want to pay the Zenith premium for the same form of pistol that somehow magically appeared on the roster.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Since you can build a AR Pistol from a 80% can you build a MP5K pistol as long as you follow the rules and make it semi auto? I assume it would be some metal bending, welding and a parts kit.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Since you can build a AR Pistol from a 80% can you build a MP5K pistol as long as you follow the rules and make it semi auto? I assume it would be some metal bending, welding and a parts kit.

The SP89 has been banned for some time as an "assault pistol," so not all MP5K style pistols would be legal in MD. Full size MP5 pistols are fine in MD though.

I'm guessing the 9KT is banned for being too close to an SP89 since it uses the same shape semi auto shelf, has an SEF trigger group and regular bolt carrier, and does not have the restrictor pin on the top of the receiver. The H&K SP5K has a different trigger housing (different shape semi auto shelf), trigger pack (ambi), and bolt carrier assembly (latest F modifications & cutout for restrictor pin). The Zenith Z-5P has a front push pin trigger housing

Yes any pistol requires and HQL except if you hold a C&R, and the pistol is C&R eligible or it is black powder pistol. Those are the only two exceptions I am aware of. Check the MSP Handgun roster to make sure the specific model you are interested is listed. If not you should talk to a dealer about submitting a sample.

The recipient doesn't have to have an FFL03 in order to receive a C&R handgun as non-HQL. The handgun itself is non-HQL regardless of who receives it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Are they better than the SP5K? or just a better price?

The 9KT is sear ready, suppressor ready, is already 922r compliant for SBR, and already has a paddle mag release. They have a welded picatinny rail too, which can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on personal preference.

The SP5K has an ambi 0-1 trigger assembly and the latest F style bolt group. They don't have paddle mag releases, but they do have holes on the inside and it's easy to install one of the retrofit kits. The semi-auto shelf is different shaped though, so they can't interchange trigger housings with other semi-auto MP5Ks on the market. There's that restrictor pin on the top of the receiver that prevents the use of standard bolt carriers, which is really only a minor issue if you have or can afford a transferable sear or trigger pack.

Battlefield Vegas did say that all their MP5s failed in about the same ways and in about the same round counts (500k). I'm interested to see if they get a PTR MP5 and run it to 500k rounds.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    The 9KT is sear ready, suppressor ready, is already 922r compliant for SBR, and already has a paddle mag release. They have a welded picatinny rail too, which can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on personal preference.

Apart from the price, this is exactly why I want one over the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom