• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My wife wants to get her own 308 bolt gun to play with and it has to be left handed with a heavy barrell . The only two I have found available are the Remington sps varmint and the savage 10 flpscr. Is there any other options out there that Im missing? Leaning twords the remington because the savage uses a proprietary magazine im not real fond of. Does anyone offer an aftermarket stock for either of those choices in a left handed version? Seems lefties dont have many choices atleast not from what I have been able to dig up so far anyway.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    My wife wants to get her own 308 bolt gun to play with and it has to be left handed with a heavy barrell . The only two I have found available are the Remington sps varmint and the savage 10 flpscr. Is there any other options out there that Im missing? Leaning twords the remington because the savage uses a proprietary magazine im not real fond of. Does anyone offer an aftermarket stock for either of those choices in a left handed version? Seems lefties dont have many choices atleast not from what I have been able to dig up so far anyway.

I had that same model Remington in 22-250 and sold it because it was a right handed gun and I'm a lefty. If you can find one in .308, jump on it!

Edit:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511229359

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most of the custom stock makers make left handed stocks.

What are you looking for?

Look at Stocky's for choices.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

LH Stocks. No personal experience, but here's a source: https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-feature/special-features/left-handed-stocks.html

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Have her shoot a RH gun. I shoot from both shoulders and I would never buy a LH gun. Guns, replacement parts, and compatible accessories are less common.

A lefty shooting a RH gun is not a disadvantage ouside the safety.

Just something to think about.

As for LH guns with your criteria, those 2 are good choices.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Have her shoot a RH gun. I shoot from both shoulders and I would never buy a LH gun. Guns, replacement parts, and compatible accessories are less common.

There you go with that common sense again!! :D

Those are good points I usually bring up to left handed shooters wanting to buy LH only guns.

I have the AR's I shoot suppressed set up on LH uppers for the gas issues, which could probably me mitigated with an adjustable gas block.

However, when I go to a match with a rifle, it's always a RH one. I figure if something goes to crap, odds are I will find someone with a replacement part easier if it's a RH gun than a lefty. Thinking about that, I really need to get a spare parts kit built up for the range.

That is the same reason I have talked so many people out of piston guns. I know your dislike for them comes from other issues, but for me, it's more of a parts availability issue.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    She has shot my rem 700 a couple times in the past and liked it but said it felt awkward from the bench or while prone off a bipod. Maybe some more time behind that gun would help her be more comfortable with a rh bolt.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Plenty of aftermarket stocks on Midway for the 700. The 308 on a 700 is considered short action, so keep that in mind when doing your searching.

http://www.midwayusa.com/short-action/br?cid=21504

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Ruger's .308 Scout rifle also comes in a LH variant.

Custom stocks can help if a particular rifle has one of those sillly right hand only contouring. But the big thing is the action is still on the opposite site. Being left handed in a right hand bolt world, either i go to much larger motions to cycle a bolt or it looks really weird watching me do some reach around so i can keep the rifle on target.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My wife is left handed, left eye dominant (not as critical with a rifle), but shoots rifle right handed.

Have her spend some more time behind your rifle.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

A lefty shooting a RH gun is not a disadvantage outside the safety.

They can solve that easily by making all guns LH and having everyone shoot a LH gun. If it's not a disadvantage for lefty's to shoot a RH gun, righty's shouldn't have any problem with LH guns, either. :)

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    for the most part shooting lefty on standard rifles isn't too bad and with bolt action, the problem of catching brass in the shirt or arm is pretty low. for most of us it's our 'me' toy.

the pain in the but part is the cycling. Either you just shoot righty, which is handy to be able to in a pinch. or you do some weird things to cycle.

either

hold the entire rifle with your left hand while you use he right to cycle the bolt to keep on target. (fine for light weight rifles)

use your left to reach over and around the rifle to work the action and keep your right in place to hold the rifle (keeps your position much better)

or lower the weapon and and work the bolt, fine for target shooting or if you don't need the follow up shot.

really the only issue with most standard firearms is the ejection of spent casings. they throw to the right. most of the time it's not a problem as a good ejection will toss it past your entirely. big problem is with bullpups that can't have the ejection switched or have a 'neutral' ejection set up like the FS2000, RFB, and P90 for example.

after that the only time i get case burn is when the casing bounces off the range stalls.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    They can solve that easily by making all guns LH and having everyone shoot a LH gun. If it's not a disadvantage for lefty's to shoot a RH gun, righty's shouldn't have any problem with LH guns, either. :)
    It is a slight disadvantage for a left eye dominant shooter to shoot RH as is a RE dominant shooter shooting LH. The disadvantage is bigger with the pistol but very small with the rifle. None the less Olympic shooters who have made the switch have all come out shooting better (pretty much the only test group that is documented).

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

This !!! I'm left handed and I shoot a right handed bolt guns. I can actually get a 2nd round off faster on a right gun than most right handed because my left hand stays on the gun and I work the bolt with my right hand . It works fantastic! !!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    She is left handed and left eye dominant

My wife is left handed and left eye dominant. But she shoots rifles right handed. No problem with a scope. And not much problem with iron sights, she just closes her left eye.

Shotgun, she has to shoot left handed, since you need both eyes open.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    This !!! I'm left handed and I shoot a right handed bolt guns. I can actually get a 2nd round off faster on a right gun than most right handed because my left hand stays on the gun and I work the bolt with my right hand . It works fantastic! !!

I wish I could do that!!! I tried like hell before my elk hunt to get to where I could get confident enough to get a good second shot off and never could do it.

I lucked out and traded into a left handed Browning A Bolt and that's what I used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom