• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The wood chips will consume the Nitrogen in the soil to break the chips down. You may need to supplement.

Garden center plants may have been outside during the late frosts, and compromised before you bought them.

This nitrogen scare is highly overrated. It has been studied. The nitrogen robbing that is commonly spoken of occurs at an incredibly small amount in an incredibly localized space. University of Washington did one study off too of my head . Lemme try to dig it out.

See above for likely reason nothing is catching..

EDIT : googling will lead one to many sources which debunk the idea. Washington State, U of Vt, and more. Studies and nicely formated pamphlets.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Experience. Wood chips turn into soil. Seeds blow in, take root, and grow.

If you are walking it everyday, picking the weeds isn't bad. Let it go for a few weeks and you have a lawn growing.

My area only grows what I plant.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If left on its own for months, sure you get a lot growing in it.

Use landscape cloth or cardboard boxes with mulch on top. Kills all the grass and weeds under. Probably between my whole family we spend maybe 5 person hours weeding our 1500sq-ft garden per year. About twice that mulching the whole thing each season. Just mowing between the beds I’d probably spend at least 8-10hrs a season if we weren’t mulching. Add in having to trim the edges. And the gas/electric use (I have an electric push mower, gas trimmer, gas riding mower), picking crap out that is growing up against the fence I could hand pick and having to pull weeds by hand around everything in the beds constantly that would probably be another 20-30hrs of work. Plus the mulch keeps more moisture locked in the soil.

$350 on mulch for the garden plus flower beds is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom