• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    4dB is pretty significant considering it's a log scale. That's around 50% difference.

In real life, it's likely not that noticeable in terms of feeling because the duration is so short. If you can't do a side by side comparison, it'd be tough to know the difference with doubled up ear protection on.

After looking around online it seems YHM is unobtainium right now. sold out everywhere.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I agree completely. I also agree and admit, that being super quiet is not my main concern and that keeping the guns 100% reliable is a much larger concern to me and I am shooting a lot more than most in a given time period.

On the Helios, Do you know if just the changing of the front cap to the flow through is enough to give you OSS levels of minimal back pressure? I would like to see that compared. Its certainly interesting and if they can offer both words, sure, its certainly something to consider. I will keep an eye out for one to check out.
    I haven't shot them side by side, but my suspicion is that the OSS can is very slightly lower backpressure. For literally anyone else I would say that the difference "basically" does not matter. For someone with a machine gun hobby? "Basically" could turn into an expensive mistake.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    After looking around online it seems YHM is unobtainium right now. sold out everywhere.
    If you were in Virginia I'd say go with a Rex Silentium can from Hansohn Bros using discount code COVID19, but I'm not sure what you'd get out of it with all the transfer hassles you'd likely deal with in MD.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Sorry to bother you again, but what would you consider a good price to pay for a dead air sandman S ?
    Dead Air is pretty serious about minimum asking price. Cheapest place I know of to get it out the door is $797, so $997 with tax stamp. But I live in VA. MD you're probably stuck with whatever Silencershop is charging, I think $830+tax+tax stamp.

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Two weeks ago I ordered my first can. I went with the Omega 300 as I will be using it on my 300 blackout as well as my 5.56. Check back with me in 11 months or so to see how I like it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I haven't shot them side by side, but my suspicion is that the OSS can is very slightly lower backpressure. For literally anyone else I would say that the difference "basically" does not matter. For someone with a machine gun hobby? "Basically" could turn into an expensive mistake.

For most of the MGs you are putting Suppressors on, the expense is not that great. A $900 upper to some might be expensive on an AR15. Buy on a $20k M16... not so much. We shoot expensive and inexpensive uppers. Shrikes to PSA (even if I don't suggest either). That said, breaking an upper on a M16 is no great deal. That said if you are using a M14, thats a very different story. However few are suppressing them.

Its more about shootability. With shots so quick together, the gas builds quick and gasses you out, forcing you to stop shooting or where a gas mask! So you basically have to modify the upper or it just is no fun... I am sure a Helios will be out there soon enough to compare.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Slightly off topic but, if i decide to pull the trigger on a can, is it possible to do it 100% cash?

I have a stash of unreported cash from the wife from side jobs and she watches the cc bill like a hawk. So I'd love to be able to do it all cash.

Dunno if thats possible if my lgs would accept cash and use their cc to order the can and pay the stamp?

anyone done one all cash?

Edit: please refrain from the "you need a new wife" comments i cant afford 3 child support payments without living in a refrigerator box

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Slightly off topic but, if i decide to pull the trigger on a can, is it possible to do it 100% cash?

I have a stash of unreported cash from the wife from side jobs and she watches the cc bill like a hawk. So I'd love to be able to do it all cash.

Dunno if thats possible if my lgs would accept cash and use their cc to order the can and pay the stamp?

Edit: please refrain from the "you need a new wife" comments i cant afford 3 child support payments without living in a refrigerator box

It's called a "tuckie fund" and talk to your LGS. I know several folks that may or may not have such funds...

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

continental arms takes care of the check portion.

you pay them for the can and stamp, they write the check handle everything else. i believe all i had to do was provide them with the fingerprint cards/photos, complete the paper work, pay them, and them mail the notice they gave me to the chief of state police.

they handled the rest

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I'm going to put the money down on a Griffin Armament M4SD II next month hopefully. It'll allow me to suppress my Tavor with a Griffin Armament muzzle device and and my AR-15 with a NATO-spec A2.

b88bpsE.jpg

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

If you want to go through Silencershop, just use cash to buy gift cards at the grocery store, then use those gift cards to buy gift cards on Silencershop. Then you can buy everything, including the tax stamp.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

So I can be clear in my understanding, did you, or your wife perform the side jobs?

And for further clarity, you want to hide the fact, from your wife, that you are purchasing a suppressor, correct?

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    So I can be clear in my understanding, did you, or your wife perform the side jobs?

And for further clarity, you want to hide the fact, from your wife, that you are purchasing a suppressor, correct?

My side jobs. I'm not that big of an A**hole that I'd spend money she made.

If if I do a side job and make $300 say, i take 200 home and tuck away 100 for my fun money. And of course if a financial issue came up i would cough up my stash to help, but we are fairly comfortable.

My wife tolerates guns at best, so buying new stuff always causes an issue.

I know I'm not the only one that does clandestine purchases to avoid probs at home....

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My side jobs. I'm not that big of an A**hole that I'd spend money she made.

If if I do a side job and make $300 say, i take 200 home and tuck away 100 for my fun money. And of course if a financial issue came up i would cough up my stash to help, but we are fairly comfortable.

My wife tolerates guns at best, so buying new stuff always causes an issue.

I know I'm not the only one that does clandestine purchases to avoid probs at home....

I think it sad, that you think so little of your wife, that you must hide purchases from her.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I went with the YHM Turbo 2. Good reviews and an excellent price swayed me to it. Of course it will be sitting in jail till next spring or longer.
    Anyone else running a turbo 2 and can share your experience?
    Thanks
    Rob

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD

Take the cash and get a prepaid card. That is how I handle most transactions :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom