• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I did not know this. All I saw and read about were when the police would see a person on their roof trying to protect theirs and the rifles were confiscated. I was angry over that. Now, if the police just bypassed due to not having to worry about that neighborhood, then great. but, if only because of the mass of armed people, my faith would then be shaken.

If you google, you will come across the big stories about the racists white people of Algiers Point that shot poor, innocent black men and turned away flood evacuees from their ward that was spared any flooding but there were other neighborhoods too that barricaded themselves to prevent looting.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd feel better about it along with 1,000's of others with me. I doubt I'd like being the lone Patriot down in the town square fighting off tyranny and getting 1 to my grape while on Fox News.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    IMO, the perspective of the author is off base. It's not about the "state of my fellow countrymen". For me it's about my kids and their kids. My friends and their families. I would absolutely fight for their rights and future rights. Had people not fought for the future, we would have never had a Revolution, Civil War or any other war. Lots of people can sustain pain or mistreatment, but how many can dig down inside and endure that same pain all while fighting to make sure others don't have to endure the same?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Tiananmen-Square-m_3561605b.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, our country is worth dying for. But sadly, as time marches on fewer and fewer of our countrymen would appreciate the sacrifice.

Having lived through the Vietnam war(as a youngster) and continuing up to now, I'd say these things go in cycles. War has a way of wearing a people down. Give them a few years of peace and prosperity, and they learn what's at risk and spoil for a good fight. I would think that'd be even stronger when it directly effected the literally home front.

adparnassum

Information 2A
    Dec 16, 2017
    Ellicott City
    I'd guess that depends on how you'd define "country"...if, as I'm inclined to do, you call it the ideas it's founded upon and the people who by their actions show that they share those ideals, in a heartbeat; having signed that blank check before, I suppose it'd be disingenuous to not now. Institutions on the other hand...eh?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Unusual answer here. I think it would depend on the manner of my sacrifice.

If I'm going to die fighting in some political BS war to prop up some other country's government or something than no thanks.

If I'm fighting to defend my country and my family from aggressors domestic or foreign than that's another story.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Being a teenager with a draft card and enlisting in early 1974, I have a different perspective that those younger generations that have never known the selective service. Being from a military family also affects my way of thinking. I was raised in the age of JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you", and the Cuban missile crisis and the Cold War. A different way of living then. The American dream to save for a home and family. Nowadays it seems it is the complete opposite. But hell yes I'll fight for me and mine and my country.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Maybe someone can explain to me how we are empowered to rise up and overthrow a tyrannical government when we have such a law as below. It seems obvious that the view now is that actively resisting government is a criminal act punishable by death.

"Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
    (June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

Its always been an act punishable by death. If you think our forefathers didn't know the possible outcome at Lexington and Concord you are not reading history right. A tyrannical government will always try to take the moral high ground until they are overthrown.
    However that laws covers fellow countrymen who aid and abet a foreign enemy either outside or inside the US. Although in a pinch I suppose it could cover revolutionaries although it is not worded that way.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I might be missing the point, but...

Rather than ask if our country is worth dying for, which I believe it is under the right circumstances, it seems as though the underlying question would be is it worth killing for. In order for one of us to be killed, we'd need to do something that would result in our death. In this context, that suggests that we would be in a position of either defending ourselves, family or property, or possibly offensively taking some action against others.

So I offer the rephrased question, is our country worth killing for? For me, the answer is the same... probably so, under the right circumstances. Pretty hard to know for sure unless, and until, faced with those circumstances. It's easy to fantasize behind the safety of a keyboard, but if/when the SHTF it will be decision time.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I'd be more willing to kill for it than die for it.

I mean, I don't get anything out of dying for it.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Yes, willing to fight and die for it so that my (our) children and many generations to come can enjoy the freedom that our Constitution guarantees!!!!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Dying for one's country...

*BLUF...it's about space and time

I think there's not anyone with a patriotic bone or drop of blood in them who wouldn't SAY yes. Equivocation beyond that is understandable if for no other reason than the OP's initial offering. It's written in a manner that requires a certain logic to appreciate the author's perspective.

Beyond that, as most posters seem to have wandered, I will too.

Much of this deals with your *perspective. That in turn is pretty age and location dependent. I have to go with MightyDog as our vintage is similar.

I signed the "blank check" as a 17 year old. Just like my father, father in law did (Korea and VietNam) and son has done in the past ten years (AFG). Those stints of service were practical demonstrations of intent and personal values. None of those who served in combat were enthusiastic about combat nor the likelihood that the sacrifices they were privy to were "worth it." That's not any lack of patriotism or fear or anything else. It's the reality of seeing folks die and be maimed and the inevitable personal logical/emotional battle to try to understand if it's worth it...

Back to today. There's little likelihood of my own recall to active duty. Thus the question becomes much more personal and closer to home. (I don't see me marching on DC...). That then portends some imminent practical threat to me or mine and our "way of life." You can damn sure bet that will be interpreted as something that is worth dying for. By "way of life" I mean our intrinsic values. They are specifically about God, family and country.

So, in the end, my life is mostly over age wise. My values have been ingrained and reinforced for my entire life. Given my present space and time, I would not hesitate to give my life for God, family or country. I won't give it freely though and it will cost whomever takes it.

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dying for one's country...

*BLUF...it's about space and time

I think there's not anyone with a patriotic bone or drop of blood in them who wouldn't SAY yes. Equivocation beyond that in understandable if for no other reason than the OP's initial offering. It's written in a manner that requires a certain logic to appreciate the author's perspective.

Beyond that, as most posters seem to have wandered, I will too.

Much of this deals with your *perspective. That in turn is pretty age and location dependent. I have to go with MightyDog as our vintage is similar.

I signed the "blank check" as a 17 year old. Just like my father, father in law did (Korea and VietNam) and son has done in the past ten years (AFG). Those stints of service were practical demonstrations of intent and personal values. None of those who served in combat were enthusiastic about combat nor the likelihood that the sacrifices they were privy to were "worth it." That's not any lack of patriotism or fear or anything else. It's the reality of seeing folks die and be maimed and the inevitable personal logical/emotional battle to try to understand if it's worth it...

Back to today. There's little likelihood of my own recall to active duty. Thus the question becomes much more personal and closer to home. (I don't see me marching on DC...). That then portends some imminent practical threat to me or mine and our "way of life." You can damn sure bet that will be interpreted as something that is worth dying for. By "way of life" I mean our intrinsic values. They are specifically about God, family and country.

So, in the end, my life is mostly over age wise. My values have been ingrained and reinforced for my entire life. Given my present space and time, I would not hesitate to give my life for God, family or country. I won't give it freely though and it will cost whomever takes it.

:thumbsup:ditto! Well said!

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I signed on the line to do just that if necessary 11/13/72 and a few more times before retiring 9/1/93. Nothing has changed in my view of "is it worth it".

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I signed on the line to do just that if necessary 11/13/72 and a few more times before retiring 9/1/93. Nothing has changed in my view of "is it worth it".

I agree with you 100%. I may be 55 with some health issues going on but if called upon to serve, I damn well will pick up my ar-15 and some back up and go serve this country.. I may not agree with the demorats and their views sometimes but when it comes to defending this land that I love war has a way transcending political views at the time :patriot:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Yup, that's where I live. I'm old enough to have accomplished most of what I had to do, and wanted to do.

The nation has been grievously damaged over the last several decades. Defending the values of the nation that nurtured me might demand the ultimate sacrifice. I'd only hesitate if it was obvious that there could be no return, at which point our glorious experiment in Liberty would have failed.

I do what I can to throw sand in the works of the State's progressive juggernaut. But if it comes to that, I'd sooner die on my feet than live on my knees.

Or so I say now, from the comfort of my home. God grant me the courage to do what I must, in the event.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Depends on your perspective. The majority of those who hold American citizenship are not America in any sense of the word. That said, most of the parasites who compose the Democrat Party base can not take care of themselves. They have no practical skills, ability to grow or find their own food, clean water, fix machines, or anything else. Real Americans once awakened and united toward a cause are a force that cannot be matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom