• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yeah, I can't wait for it to stop. Couple weeks ago the buy and scalp started with gunpowder, specifically Varget (223/5.56, 308).

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I agree the ammo supply is loosening up, but their is still one negative trend. The vendors are keeping the .22lr prices artificially high. When bulk packaged .22 is still at .10+ a round
    we still have problems. I am told this is being done to deter flipping but I am afraid it will become the norm.
    Last summer, I could buy CCI S/V from Champions Choice at .06 a round delivered, they have not had any ammo available for 9 months. I finally talked to them and they said they took 350 cases of this .22 to Camp Perry to sell at cost+handling, but once the stock was replenished it would be about 30% higher to them. Walmart, Cabelas, Midway have all been increasing prices on .22 while stuff like 5.56/223 have been going back to normal, not a good sign!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Considering that in the mid-70, CCI MiniMag was 2 cents per round, today's prices are not that bad.

According to the inflation calculator, strictly based on inflation, it should be over 8 cents per round today.

And handling of things like lead have a lot more regulations that then, there are increased costs to the manufacturers.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Considering that in the mid-70, CCI MiniMag was 2 cents per round, today's prices are not that bad.

According to the inflation calculator, strictly based on inflation, it should be over 8 cents per round today.

And handling of things like lead have a lot more regulations that then, there are increased costs to the manufacturers.

While this is all true, it still doesn't explain why the big increase in .22 vs other calibers. We are talking almost 100% increase in a year, from normally honest vendors on .22lr. Yet stuff like .17hmr has remained available at close to last year prices when found. I think it is obvious the suppliers see the supply/demand curve and are taking advantage of it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, the current prices are supply and demand.

But I don't think that we will see it go back quite so low. IMO, it was underpriced.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    At least the increase is where it belongs. That should help keep it on the shelves for shooters to purchase. Shotgun ammunition has also gone up close to 20% the the past couple months from a couple brands and suppliers.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Bunch of reports of 9mm hitting stores in big numbers along with other tough to find calibers. I'm very interested to see where things stand in the next 30-60 days and the days following 10/1.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Bunch of reports of 9mm hitting stores in big numbers along with other tough to find calibers. I'm very interested to see where things stand in the next 30-60 days and the days following 10/1.

I dont think 10/1 will have much of an effect on ammo prices at all. The MD market is just a blip on the national ammo market.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Same thing happened about a month ago. All area WMs got in pretty big shipments of ammo over a 2 day period. But then back to normal trickle of supply afterwards. Hard to tell if they're doing it on purpose or not. At least everyone can get some cheap ammo during these floods. Lets hope it sticks this time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I dont think 10/1 will have much of an effect on ammo prices at all. The MD market is just a blip on the national ammo market.

10/1 will have an effect because a lot of people are buying ammo right now for their new guns, me included. I have plenty of home defense 9mm for my home defense handgun that I have had for 12 years now. However, my wife just got a 9mm and wants to learn how to shoot it. So, had to go looking for 9mm target ammo. Bought some handguns recently in .40 S&W and .45 ACP, so I had to go and find that ammo recently too.

Once people are done buying handguns and other regulated firearms, there will be a lot less demand for ammo because they will have already been able to fire their new guns and get a feel for them and how they operate.

Think somebody said in another thread that he went to a Walmart in Erie, PA and the shelves were stocked really deep with handgun ammo and other ammo. More ammo than he has seen in 10 months or so. So, I do think that the run on guns is also causing a run on ammo here in Maryland. Now that I have plenty of ammo to go to the range 2 or 3 times, I am out of the ammo market and about to get into the reloading components market.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    The ammo shortage may be due to Ayo Kimathi, described today as a purchasing agent for the Department of Homeland Security. Mr. Kimathi wrote, "Warfare is eminent [sic], and in order for Black people to survive the 21st century, we are going to have to kill a lot of whites – more than our christian hearts can possibly count." Mr. Kimathi is reported to be the purchasing agent responsible for buying ammunition for DHS. It was also reported that Mr. Kimathi was required to obtain permission from DHS before starting his website, "War on the Horizon." http://www.waronthehorizon.com/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...for-the-inevitable-clash-with-the-white-race/

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    The ammo shortage may be due to Ayo Kimathi, described today as a purchasing agent for the Department of Homeland Security. Mr. Kimathi wrote, "Warfare is eminent [sic], and in order for Black people to survive the 21st century, we are going to have to kill a lot of whites – more than our christian hearts can possibly count." Mr. Kimathi is reported to be the purchasing agent responsible for buying ammunition for DHS. It was also reported that Mr. Kimathi was required to obtain permission from DHS before starting his website, "War on the Horizon." http://www.waronthehorizon.com/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...for-the-inevitable-clash-with-the-white-race/

He hates Al Sharpton and Obama. How bad can he be?:rolleyes:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    It sure has been more available lately.... But still is hit or miss.

At least HD ammo seems to always be on the shelves now.

But we still can't stop by any day before a range trip and walk out with ammo.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Even if it is just blinking 12:00, it is still right twice a day. Midnight and noon, unless it also has a flashing am/pm. Then, only right once a day.

You do know why all the clocks blink that, right? Because the first Japanese Emperor was born on a Tuesday at 12. :)

I'll be here all week. Try the veal ;)

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    As far as I can tell, the "Great Ammo Shortage of 2013" is nearly over. Gun shops have stocked shelves. Many online prices are back to normal and available, and I've even scored 6x100 round WWB value packs of various calibers (.40 and .45) at WM over the last 2 weeks without even trying.

Went back and was reading the state of things a year ago is this thread.

22lr is still tough to find at low prices if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom