• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Got the following email from CMP. Should I go with the Springfield instead of the HRA at the same price or just wait for the HRA?

Email:

As you may know, the HRA Service grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder. Our serial number records show that we have significantly more HRA serial numbers than any other manufacturer, so there will not be a problem filling your order. However, this may take several weeks.

There is a very limited quantity of Springfield rifles that we have accumulated. We are working the oldest orders first and are now contacting a few customers to offer the option to change the order to this item. Please let us know if you would like to change your order to the Springfield manufacturer at the same grade and price.

We will need your reply to make the change no later than June 30, so we are able to fill as many orders as possible. If we do not hear from you by the requested date, we will keep your order on backorder for the HRA Service grade rifle.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Tag to find later. I suspect I'll be getting the same email (my order date is April 30). My gut tells me to make the switch.

jsnider22

Feb 3, 2012
    Walkersville, MD
    Sorry for the slight hijack but which ones did you guys order? I'm looking at ordering my first CMP rifle and I'm debating between the service grade and the special.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Get the service grade unless all you want to do is shoot matches.

They are not refurbished the specials are. Many service grades come in very very good shape.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'd say Springfield. They have less of them and are not avail to order at the moment. You can place another order for a HRA this afternoon if you liked. Springfields seem to command slightly more $ since they were THE manuf during the War even if you get a post war serial (or you could get luck and get an early one.)

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I agree with the above. Get the Springfield and then order an HRA if you really want one. I would have ordered a Springfield if I had had the opportunity.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    It all depends if you plan to get more in my mind.

My HRA s have superb machining and barrels. I like my WWII SA but the HRA are pieces of artwork and tack drivers to boot.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    It all depends if you plan to get more in my mind.

My HRA s have superb machining and barrels. I like my WWII SA but the HRA are pieces of artwork and tack drivers to boot.

I really just want a quality rifle so I think for me it makes the most sense to stick with HRA, based on this feedback. Thanks!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I doubt you will be disappointed either way just saying the HRA s dont seem to get the respect they should. Their machining and barrels esp if you luck out and get an LMR barrel are top notch.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Service Grade Specials are all the proper parts (HRA is all HRA parts) with new wood.

Service Grade may have mixed parts. So a Springfield can have Winchester/HRA/etc parts in it. Wood is used, issued.

I was at CMP South in Feb and talked it over with them.

A Service Grade M1D Sniper and a Service Grade Special HRA followed me home.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    The first group I shot with the HRA with Greek surplus ammo was 3 rounds almost touching. They are very quality rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The Service Grade Specials are all the proper parts (HRA is all HRA parts) with new wood.

Hes not talking about a SGS. Those are all gone:( I should have ordered another one. jsnider22 is talking about a HRA special. That has a new criterion barrel and not necessarily matching.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I like my HRA service grade. Its a shooter and is great shape. If you want a dollar value the springfield should be worth more because of the name, and you have a chance of getting an early one.

If you want a rifle to use and shoot great id go with an HRA again. If I wanted a safe queen that is worth more to the right person id go springfield.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hes not talking about a SGS. Those are all gone:( I should have ordered another one. jsnider22 is talking about a HRA special. That has a new criterion barrel and not necessarily matching.

Then I am very happy I got one. :)

The Specials are also good. I would have considered one, but they did not have any in the CMP South store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom