• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Received this email from the MSRPA and it was of course necessary to send it to my fellows citizens in the MD electorate:

I only added an opening line stating

"I am providing a few facts that I hope you will consider when preparing to vote on this horrendous bill".

The AR-15 type rifle is the most popular rifle in the U.S. Over 2 million have been sold between 2000 and 2010 according to ATF.

There are over 55,000 AR-15 type rifles registered in Maryland (quote from Governor O'Malley).

2 rifles were used in murders in Maryland in 2011 (latest date that FBI statistics are available)--neither was an AR-15 type rifle or other firearm described as an "assault rifle." Nation-wide, less than 2% all violent crimes are committed with rifles of all types. So-called assault rifles are used in even less.

So-called assault rifles are not the weapon of choice by criminals.

Maryland already considers these so-called assault rifles to be regulated firearms and requires a background check by the State Police and a 7 day wait to take delivery.

The rifles targeted by the proposed "Assault Weapons Ban" are all semi-automatic firearms. They fire one bullet with each pull of the trigger.

Most of the criteria to "qualify" as a so-called assault rifle are cosmetic in nature, i.e. pistol grips, thumbhole stocks, flash suppressor, or a collapsible or folding stock. A similar stock can be attached to a Ruger Ranch rifle and suddenly it becomes a so-called assault rifle.

So-called assault rifles are often described as "powerful", yet when the actual ballistics are examined a .223 caliber Remington has 1282 foot-pounds of energy as the bullet exits the barrel; a .30-30 Winchester (a rather weak deer cartridge) has an energy of 1902 foot-pounds as the bullet exits the barrel; a .30-06 cartridge (a much more common deer cartridge) has an energy of 2913 foot-pounds as the bullet exits it's barrel. So the so-called assault rifles are really not all that powerful. The minimum energy allowed for a rifle to hunt deer in Maryland is 1200 foot-pounds, so the .223 Remington cartridge is just barely legal in Maryland for deer. Many states will not allow the .223 Remington cartridge to be used on deer as it is not viewed as powerful enough.

True assault rifles are capable of full automatic fire, i.e. they fire more than on bullet with a single pull of the trigger. These have been severely regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA). No legally registered NFA firearm has ever been used in the commission of crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom