• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wowmattsays

Oct 4, 2016
    So I have been following the thread about the Polymer80 Glock lowers, and then I found a Polymer80 for the G19, and after having build an AR from scratch about a year ago, I am getting the itch to build myself another piece. Welp, I started doing some research, and after adding up the:

Stripped Slide
    Barrel
    Polymer80 Lower
    Spring Kit
    Trigger
    Trigger Bar
    AND NOTHING ELSE!

I was already almost over $700. How is it possible that I can buy a brand new G19 with shipping and FFL transfer for $635 online, but to even consider building one with the most basic materials, it will cost me at least $200 more?!

I'm not even a Glock guy...I have plenty of guns, its mostly just a hobby etc. I would think that buying the parts and putting them together myself would be cheaper! It certainly was with the AR, and I didn't skimp on the parts I put into that!

Anyway, it feels to me like I am going to end up building another AR if these handgun parts prices stay where they are. Just what I need, another rifle!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It was evident to me when I was curious about them, the concept as well as the demand for them is NOT about cost.

one of many reasons is that if you don't have an HQL, you can have a home made glockish pistol and not break the law (provided you are not braking the law like being a prohibited person)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Same reason that a car purchased part by part costs ( 4x ?) as much as a complete new car.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was already almost over $700. How is it possible that I can buy a brand new G19 with shipping and FFL transfer for $635 online, but to even consider building one with the most basic materials, it will cost me at least $200 more?!

Buy one from an IP that has one in inventory, and you'll likely spend under $550, not including tax.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I dabble in the 1911 thing and I've never saved money over an equivilent level new pistol. And that includes waiting for good price opportunities. Only caveat would be the grab bag RIA stuff sold by Sarcoinc. Throw in cost of a professional finish and costs go up further.

If I wanted a Glock, I would just buy one. Considering not needing an HQL - by the time you build a Polymer80 Glock, you could get the HQL and a good Glock. Different strokes for different folks.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Try buying the parts for a car or truck & putting it together yourself...

You pay retail price for each part plus the shipping & taxes..?

It can never be cheaper...

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    With the Polymer80 you also get some additional features like stippling, undercut trigger guard, forward thumb ledge which would cost $100-$200 to be done on a factory frame.
    Prices on slides are inflated due demand and popularity of the frame.

I could care less about the 80% thing as they probably already know or could find out if they really wanted. I wouldn't mind buying a serialized frame because I think it feels better than the Glock factory frame.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I cannot make a double cheeseburger at home as inexpensively as McDonald's does it.

Correct, considering the price of Kangaroo meat these days :sad20:

OP, I believe your question has been answered and hope you understand. as for the 80% thing I honestly believe they know :tinfoil

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I got my LE trade G19 from Lou45 for $389 (plus tax). I use the slide from that on my Poly80 lower. So for a $150 Poly80 G19 lower and a $50 LPK, I have a stippled and undercut G19 frame to use on my Glock that the man doesn't even know about. Getting my factory lower stippled and undercut would probably cost nearly $200, and this way I still have the unharmed original factory frame.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You need to shop around more. I was under $650 (w/ mags) for my G31 build. Converting that slide to be used on the 19 frame added another $100+ in parts. So for a little over $725, I have a slide assembly that can do double duty - full size frame, or compact frame.

17211922_10212511528012618_5367407234272882171_o.jpg

*And yes, I could've BOUGHT a Glock 31/32 for less - but any ******* can buy a gun. This ******* wanted to build his own. :)

And I still refuse to budge on the HQL, it's my line in the sand - even with partial exemptions.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    You need to shop around more. I was under $650 (w/ mags) for my G31 build. Converting that slide to be used on the 19 frame added another $100+ in parts. So for a little over $725, I have a slide assembly that can do double duty - full size frame, or compact frame.

View attachment 201571

*And yes, I could've BOUGHT a Glock 31/32 for less - but any ******* can buy a gun. This ******* wanted to build his own. :)

And I still refuse to budge on the HQL, it's my line in the sand - even with partial exemptions.

Stole my thunder I was planning to do something similar with 9mm.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Makes sense when the build includes features you would have to change parts for. As far HQL goes...it is the individuals' choice. I didn't get mine for awhile simply because I didn't want the hassle.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have also been thinking of building a new pistol and I am leaning towards a 1911. My reasons for building instead of buying are surely not unique. The Maryland HQL is a violation of my rights regardless of the SCOTUS ruling. It violates the 2nd and 4th Ammendments, and adds additional unnecessary costs to acquiring a handgun.

For those of us on fixed incomes, it can be quite an additional burden and make acquiring a handgun unaffordable. This is discriminatory to lower income groups!

I refuse to allow this state to know about all of my firearms.

The main reason I recently got my C&R was to avoid the HQL.

Screw the communist state of Maryland!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom